device protection brightstar

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

device protection brightstar

Lost my phone 6 plus

called in device protection currently brightstar

had device protection for nearly 2 n half years

pay around 13.99 equals to 180 aprox a year so two years 360

got a a replacement phone refurbished not a brand new one

as they only guaranty a replacement with a cost of 200

and a branded new phone is 400

do the math

do we really need insurance or just get a new phone when lost/misplaced/stolen?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: device protection brightstar

All replacement and repair and replacement plans, are actually an insurance policy against unexpected events that you have not planned to cover the costs for.  I am a strong advocate of keeping my own emergency plans, that when I buy something big that needs replacement someday, I start putting a month deduction away into a TFSA to cover those emergencies.  These can be extra coverage costs for drugs, extensive medical expenses, replacing a car eventually, we all have to do it, so unless you like loans, your options are building your own emergency accounts, or paying insurance - kind of like car insurance and home insurance, and medical insurance - covers some of costs, but not all.  Always deductables, and lets be honest, if they weren't making profits, they wouldn't be selling this.  They rely on stories of broken and stolen phones to convince us that we need it.

For me, a good backup plan, an extra phone and swap cards, or buy a new card, all email on line, file storage in the cloud from my phone.

It is too easy to drop them, have them drop in a sink, say when using for a recipe, drop a coffee on it, but to be honest, I have one phone in water - put it is rice - full recovery - cracked screen - you will pay less than 200.00 for a replacement screen or case - where do they get the replacements - from this same company that insures them for replacement (that is their primary source, and they can't get enough parts through eco donations).

Get a good quality case and protective covers for your screens, and treat them with care - they are expensive and a tool, not a toy.

One piece of anecdotal case - my daughter damaged a blackberry bold years back - she was emotional over a loss of an official document out of country - was young and devistated.

Rogers did a great job of finding cheapest options to support her, plus she had what we all have - a second backup phone handy from Virgin in the US and just called in and added time as she was in the US.

And she found a quiet place and went speaker - she was crying while on the phone and water got in.  So avoid crying too much on a smart phone if you can - she learned a trick - put a tissue over it and change it often - muffles the voice a bit but kept the water off the screen, and she now uses a waterproof, dust proof, shock resistant case.

Cheaper than the deductable.

It is for each to decide what level of protection you are willing to pay for and level of risk you wish to take, and level of care with the device, and often some repairs are very easy and inexpensive to do.  If you have a back up phone you have time to deal with it.  In our case, if a family member upgrades a phone that is still working, we keep them and share them out.  I have 3 backup phones, all unlocked right now.

But know what you are paying for - in the insurance industry, they don't charge for 30 days on life, mortgage and loan insurance so you have chance to review and ask questions.  That gives you chance to review and accept or cancel, and they have to pay if something happens in the first 30 days, that is their risk.

Read the fine print on those plans closely to see if it really makes sense - that is up to each of you to decide.

And yes, definitely do the math.  On any of the offers like this protection plan, changing plans, etc.  It is a balance between risk and cost and that is your analysis and choice.  None of us can predict the future and some will feel comfort paying the money for the comfort, although as each month goes buy, it is costing you much more money if you need to replace, if you even can once too long.

It could go tomorrow (don't know if there is a waiting period), or at the end of the life of the phone as defined by them, not by how long it lasts.

So in this example, 6 months plus - you payed at least 290.00 plus, and add on tax, so saved about 100.00 on  the replacement, used, refurbished phone - which is also in the fine print - so for probably less on grey market, you could probably get the same phone unlocked from many big box stores, or on line stores for even less than 400.00.

Great question, one that every person should take the time and mindfully think about.  If it happens early you win, if later, which statisticaly is most common, you lose.  but the piece of mind in the first yera may be worth it for some.  Not me.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

I purchased through Rogers an Iphone 6S. Of all the phones I've had I've never dropped any of them. I always paid for device protection but thankfully never had to use it. So I had my new phone for a week and dropped it. Screen was destroyed. I utilized my device protection. Paid $200 and voila a refurbished iphone 6S showed up in my mail box. Refurbished? you gotta be kidding me I thought. So I phoned device protection. Yep. It's at their discretion. They can send me a 3 year old not apple certified phone if they want. I was pretty upset but they assured me the phone was warrantied for a year and if anything "non physical" happened to it they would replace it at no charge to me. So I waspretty much left with what I had. Still paying Rogers for a new Iphone 6S although I had a phone which I had no idea how old it was or what it had gone through. About 4 months I noticed my phone's Bluetooth sporadically disconnecting. My screen would also freeze up and I would have to turn it off and on again. So I called device protection. I was assured it would be no problem. All I had to do was go to the website and open a claim and my new iphone would be sent to me. So I went to the website, inputted my data but it appeared that I was going to be charged another $200. So I called again and was assured (again) that there would be no charge to me. This time the rep went through the process with me and when it came time to submit my info I was told an error occurred. For some reason my claim could not be submitted. It was an error on their part I was told. My only option was to leave it as is while they investigated the issue or purchase a brand new Iphone 6S and provide receipt of purchase and I would receive a refund. Well I was a little concerned that another "error" would occur and I wouldn't receive my refund so I left it as is while they "investigated". Fast forward a few months. I still had my glitchy Iphone 6S. Gaining quite a "hate on" for Apple. I called Device protection again. Low and behold Rogers had switched to a different company so I was told to contact the new company. I gave my information to the new company and they told me because my claim had been submitted under the old company I had to go through them. I told them that that was not what I was told by "the Old company" but they insisted. So I contacted the previous company again. Again I was told they couldn't help me. So the loop began. I chose not to participate in this loop. Instead I will continue to payoff my piece of garbage phone and switch providers when it's time to purchase a new phone. It's unfortunate because I presently have a family plan which includes 4 iphones but will be more than happy to switch.
I'm a Senior Advisor

What you have described is the reality of device protection plans, much the same as any extended coverage plan you may get from a big box store for any appliance. 

Dig the fine print and they all say "refurbished or new", and the older the phone, the more likely to be refurbished.

Personally, I have never put extended coverage on items - I get it with my credit card when I purchase with their card, and I have successfully made claims on extended warranty issues, lost, stolen or damaged items.  It depends upon your credit card company and type of card what coverage they provide.

When it comes to phones, I just take the risk.  Most damage on phones today can be repaired at a local shop and the replacement parts are easily available (they come from the returned phones that we put in the big box recycling locations, or given to Rogers for recycling.  Much of those repairs I do myself - replace motherboard - you have to register the new IMEI with Rogers when you do as the chip changes with it. Most phones now are made up of only a few things - a case in two pieces, the screen, a board and the battery. 

So that is why I don't do the device coverage, for 200.00 most damage to phones, you can get done by a local shop or by the company if outside of warranty.

Anyone know what the primary business of the new device replacement company is - looked it up on the Internet - their primary business is refurbishing phones and parts and selling them to distribution companies, and phone repair companies.  They refurbish phones too.  Their business is not directed towards getting you a replacement new phone, although they could do that on a newer phone when refurbished parts are scarce still, they are in the business of being one of the largest refurbished parts supplier in the world.

It is an insurance plan, with little difference than any insurance you take on.  It provides piece of mind, but when it comes time to claim, each company will differ in how well they get you back to where you were. 

My own approach, I get them repaired myself, (a flaky blue tooth is usually a chip or antenna), and diagnosing and replacing the chip, it is often cheaper to just replace the whole board.  That if you know how, (check you tube) is a pretty straight forward process.  It is a good idea to own a small tool set for disassembling the phone (it is a special tool for popping the clips on the case, and small screw drivers and often comes with the replacement part).  Replacing a chip is not something you do unless you have testing equipment and specialized skills.

But yes, the replacement insurance sounds good at first glance, but it is a business, and as you ran into, depending upon the company, getting a claim processed may not be a straight forward simple process.  Looks like your situation was a bit of a mess, and then they change companies.

This is one I don't blame Rogers for, they are merely selling an option that many people want to have - it is insurance, full of fine print, and high deductibles, and may not be the best option for all.

Here is to worry free phones for you in the future once you get past this one.

Bruce

I've Been Around

BEWARE MILITARY MEMBERS

I was working on a military vehicle in canada (not abroad). my phone fell out of my pocket and the screen cracked. because I am in the CAF, we are considered "high risk". I can understand if I were in a hostile environment and the screen had a bullet hole in it but working on a vehicle very much like any other canadian who works on heavy equipment or even a mechinic for that matter, is the same. So to all military members so long as you are on duty (even a clerk working at their desk as was explained by the supervisor) you are not covered so its a waste of money.

Shame on you brightstar and shame on Rogers for dealing with such a company

I've Been Here Awhile

These guys aare HORRIBLE... Why Rogers would go with such a terrible company is beyond me. I sent them a phone on August 1st, it is now August 25th still have not received the phone. I have spoken with 4-5 supervisors on their end via the 1855 number... (Fernando/Francisco/Ian) - some of the supervisors names. I have called probably over 10 times, they informed me that the phone was shipped on August 13th once, now they can't confirm if it was even shipped.. No tracking number available... No info on phone where about, was advised by Fernando that he would contact me last Thursday did not hear back, contact again today spoke with Francisco again and he advised me still no update and he would call me on Monday/ to avoid me calling again.... They have no idea where the phone is, they have no idea if it was actually shipped or not shipped.... Was advised that the phone was being shipped from a city which is about an hour away from me... The service request was filed ON JULY 30th!!!! ALMOST A MONTH NOW and they have no idea where the phone is and tell me the same thing over and over and push the date... DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE GUYS!!! Horrible customer service, was hung up on twice to mention... UNBELIEVABLE 

I'm a Senior Advisor

In this day and age of rapidly changing technology and new products being introduced every day, there is no incentive to support older products. As an example, I have several Ridgid power tools with Lifetime Warranty. A couple of years ago I needed a battery replaced and then a chuck repaired, which did not take an exceptional length of time. Just recently, I took 2 more drills in for repairs and I still don't have them beck because they're waiting for parts. In effect, the warranty is worthless. You're just supposed to forget about it and buy a new item.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Uhmmm last time I checked the Huawei P20 pro is not an old device.... But thanks for your input? P. S the phone was just to be shipped back and no repair done.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Cracked screen

I need to bring up the paper work for my claim.

Good evening @Crystal81,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Dealing with a cracked screen on a daily basis is annoying. It's awesome that you thought ahead by getting the Premium Device Protection! It allows you to repair your first broken screen for absolutely no extra cost as long as there’s no other damage to your device.

For further information, you can reach Brightstar at 1-855-877-3887 and dial 1 after the prompt.

You may also submit a request service at rogers.com/servicerequest.

Brightstar will provide all service and replacement options as well as replacement/repair fees when you contact them. You will need to contact Brightstar for any follow up or questions about your service request.

What type of paper work were you referring to exactly?

Let us know!

RogersMaude