Windows 10 Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

When I did the Win 10 upgrade, IE 11 didn't even work. I tried both 32 and 64 bit, but no dice. I assume the work around would be to uninstall and reinstall it, but that should not be necessary. IE 11 works fine on my Win 8.1 system and is always up-to-date.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

I think the issue was no add-ins or plug-ins are supported by Edge (Or atleast the plug-ins/add-ins people want)... I think that's why microsoft is suggesting IE11
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

regardless if its an optional or critical update..

I beleive if you fully HIDE it, it should not update at all, untill you un hide it.

Rogers Employee

True, very true.
I'm an Advisor

Yes, you can hide updates, but you need to know what they're for. This latest update (not optional) did not mention Windows 10. It said something vague, but I forget the wording. I did an eyeball search looking for KB3035583. I just think it's unacceptable for Microsoft to be doing that without making it obvious. People shouldn't have to analyze every Windows update to make sure that the Win 10 nag isn't there again.

This whole issue would have been OK if Microsoft had made the Win 10 download an actual download that a user could save for another time. Instead, it automatically installs it following the download. That, plus it consumes a huge amount of time before everything completes. I wasted a lot of time on this and had to recover my system from a backup afterwards. Thankfully, I'm diligent about them and run one every day.

Rogers Employee

Recently I heard, in terms and conditions - Microsoft can check all your files whenever they want. 😐 Best option is to run linux if you don't want 3rd parties looking at private pictures documents and videos... pretty scary.

I got to validate how true that is though.
I'm an Advisor

Unbelievable. Just got another Windows update notification and, guess what? There's only 1 "important" update. The wording is "Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)". Once again, it's the Win 10 upgrade nag.Smiley Mad

I hid the update, so that should be the end of it, but time will tell.

Rogers Employee

Anyone seen the new Terminator? This feels like the GENESIS OS

We are in for the deep side of it all lol

@jimboden - they are gonna keep trying. switch to linux 🙂 - you could always do dual boot as well.

I am waiting officially for Win 10 to be fully baked before I step in, I am not into being "ahead of the line" anymore... tired of too many updates too often. *sigh*
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have done two systems so far, no issues here.
I think each person will have different luck, based on driver availability, etc.. EARLY 7 machines may not have 8+ drivers which will convert/work with 10, etc. (espeically early laptops).

Generally.. no compatability issues either software wise, etc.. anything that works on 7 working here on 10.

Only thing i am really waiting on, is the change back to SMART FILES for Onedrive (as right now it trys to sync my whole 1tb storage :P)

As for them viewing everything on your PC..
I wouldnt necessarily got that far...
It all depends on the privacy settings you have set up.. they can view most other things.. searching, browsing, etc habbits, etc... IF that stuff is turned on.
By default, MOST of that is on... but when choosing advanced setup, can turn most off.
Only thing i have left on is the stuff needed for Cortana.

Rogers Employee silentstorm88
Rogers Employee

@Gdkitty

Its nice to hear that you had no issues with the upgrade to WIN 10,

Question. How long did it take to complete the upgrade ?

I am currently running a WIN 8.1 on a Lenovo, it us very new I only got it about 2 months ago.

I have little to no files saved on it right now.

Any bugs you feel WIN 10 needs to still work out?

What do you find is the biggest difference between  8.1 and 10.

I heard VPN is not compatible .... any other software not compatible with WIN 10?

TIA.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 12 in conversation