cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Upgrade

RogersMoin

Hello, CommunitySmiley Happy

I’m one of those who are excited about Windows 10 and patiently waiting to receive the upgrade. I have 2 PCs, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 8. I have registered both my PCs after getting the invite to register for Windows 10 upgrade (a popup in the system tray).

This would be the first time I would be upgrading the OS, I had always done a clean full install of the OS, not an upgrade.

I’ve built Windows 7 PC in 2010 and following are Key Specs:

Intel Core i7 860 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.8GHZ 

ASUS Maximus III Formula P55

8GB DDR3

XFX Radeon HD 5770

Windows 8 was built in 2013 with the following specs:

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor   ~3.5GHz

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6450

I’m assuming the upgrade will be smooth on my both PCs and post upgrade I may have to update BIOS and other drivers as they become available for Windows 10.

I’m inviting all hardware, software and OS enthusiasts/experts in the Community to chime in to share the ideas to make the upgrade a pleasant experience.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

***Edited Labels***

77 REPLIES 77

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Gdkitty:

I've done some digging around regarding Edge and found out it does not support add-ons, which is why I couldn't get task bars for Google and Norton 360. Symantec's position on this is to discourage people from using Edge and use IE, Chrome, etc. instead. There's a rumour that Microsoft will eventually get around to supporting add-on's or something similar. It appears they aren't supported because add-on's create security holes, enabling hackers to compromise your system. I guess we've all seen evidence of this with unwanted add-on's mysteriously showing up in a browser.

It's good to hear that Win 10 is working for you, including being able to use IE 11. I was mystified about it not working for me after completing the Win 10 upgrade, because it didn't make any sense. Win 10 certainly looks promising, but I'll have to defer it until my software compatibility issues are fixed. There's nothing in Win 10 that particularly interests me anyway. I'm quite happy with Win 8.1.

@jimboden wrote:

Gdkitty:

I've done some digging around regarding Edge and found out it does not support add-ons, which is why I couldn't get task bars for Google and Norton 360. Symantec's position on this is to discourage people from using Edge and use IE, Chrome, etc. instead. There's a rumour that Microsoft will eventually get around to supporting add-on's or something similar. It appears they aren't supported because add-on's create security holes, enabling hackers to compromise your system. I guess we've all seen evidence of this with unwanted add-on's mysteriously showing up in a browser.

It's good to hear that Win 10 is working for you, including being able to use IE 11. I was mystified about it not working for me after completing the Win 10 upgrade, because it didn't make any sense. Win 10 certainly looks promising, but I'll have to defer it until my software compatibility issues are fixed. There's nothing in Win 10 that particularly interests me anyway. I'm quite happy with Win 8.1.

My sense (based on reading various things) is that Edge doesn't support add-ons because it's an unfinished product, but add-on support is supposed to be added later (hey, I want my LastPass!). A number of parts of Windows 10 feel ... unfinished... in my view, and this may be one of the most obvious examples.

No LastPass?! O_O"
What?!!

I read VivienM's comment and found this: https://plus.google.com/+LastPass/posts/LmbupicWT3v

Found an interesting new feature on Win10

Was running WoW..

And this notification comes up.. for this game menu, press widows key + G.

I do so.. and pops up this little floating window.. has a few things.. but the niftyest was for RECORDING.
Litteraly just hit the record button.. then stop... records then fully what you are playing..
No need for other plugins or fancy recording stuff..

SOme of the others, i have seen take up a fair bit of memory.. this one seems not to..
Might be a BIG bonus for YOUTUBERs who put up game footage, etc.

My $500 Blackmagic hardware is USELESS?!

LOL I can't believe everyone is doing Recording.
Twitch really got people into streaming their games haha... and yes youtubers too.
😐 Pretty upset about owning hardware that becomes redundant.
(I actually have 3, total cost $1200 on these bad boys... ASJfklw345uaw fksdlaf ahhhhhhhhhh!!!)

It's nice to have the feature.
Bonus on owning hardware recorders is, no memory leaks... and its straight Digital Video Record, so full 1080p capture. imo.

@jimboden wrote:

I read VivienM's comment and found this: https://plus.google.com/+LastPass/posts/LmbupicWT3v

Right... i.e. they'll support it the day MS releases the extension API.

Edge seems to render things pretty fast, etc.  Has some potential..

BUT.. need to support plugins, etc. 

Not that MOST people need them... 3/4 of the toolbar programs are borderline malware level 😛 and just eat up resources..

But ocassionaly you do.. specially in business cases where you need to run specific things for reporting sites, etc.

First thing i have been doing on my 10 installs, is put IE icon on the taskbar. (since its removed with install as its a basic installed program.  It sits there beside my chrome and FF icons)

------------------------

I have now done my 2nd 10 uprgrade.
Did it on my 4+ year old XPS l702x laptop.

Doesnt OFFICIAL support 10.. but working good so far.. 1-2 items in device manager which are not showing up properly.. even after trying ALL the driver install packages off the website.. but no isses so far (i think may be semi wireless related.. laptop has some other wireless features i never use).
(helps that i has upgraded a while back to a new SSD for it)

I am waiting to do my upgrade since I want to see how its turning out for everyone... (I am coward to jump in 😛 )
Hopefully, I will do it on my next days off if I get enough courage to do it... ~__~ *Suspenseful music*

Hello, All

I was patiently waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade, but so far I didn’t receive it on my both PCs. Instead, I received an email from Windows (Microsoft) stating that it may take anywhere from few days to few weeks. So I decided to force upgrade it on my Windows 8.1 PC by going to “Media Creation Tool”.

All went well, the upgrade was smooth. Windows 10 Pro got activated. This could be the end of the story, but I decided to perform a clean install of Window 10 and it was not a good idea. So downloaded Windows 10 on a USB drive and performed the clean install, but it will not activate. Tried all the help available online to activate it but failed.

So started the process all over again by doing the clean install of Windows 8.1, upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and it got activated instantaneously.

The only downside which I am facing is Cisco connect VPN client is not compatible with Windows 10. I need to figure out how to use the built-in VPN client in Windows 10 before I think of upgrading my other PC which is running Windows 7 Pro.

RogersMoin

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
That's actually a good point. Something I haven't tested on my machine yet is my vpn into work. It's using a fortigate.. Not very common.
I wish we were allowed to enable the IPSec connectivity on it.. Would make Vpn connecting to it that much easier and easy to use any native built in Vpn connections in just about any os

I dont know if the drivers for my wireless (a fairly basic intel 300 N single band) are any better..

But i SEEM to be able to get faster speeds with 10.

Doing some transfers from my laptop to my server (so across wireless to the AP, then wired from there) and was getting a good 75mbps and higher at time... which i know i was not before

@Gdkitty, I agree if IPSec was enabled, it would have been a lot easy to connect. All you need know is connection settings.

After a lot of trial and errors, got successful in installing Cisco VPN software and able to establish the connection on my Windows 810 PC (Win8.1 upgraded to Win10).Smiley Happy

Also just to update, my other PC which is running Windows 7 received the Windows 10 and ready to install. Now that my VPN login issue on Windows 10 is resolved, I will go ahead and upgrade that PC as well.

If anybody in the Community needs help with Cisco VPN connect software installation or connection on Window 10 PC, please feel free to post. I'll do my best to make it work.Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

-___-" I am gonna let you guys go ahead. I'll catch up in like 5 months lol

I have no back up created for my current PC. I need to order more harddrives to back up my stuff lol

I have done my work PC and my home laptop.

Work PC.. eh what happens happens, will re-install 😛  Get me out of work for the rest of the day.
My home laptop.. is primarily for gaming.  Nothing really to back up.. so if it died.. no big deal.

The issue comes down to my Desktop/Server..
A) Its running a LOT.. my media sever (plex), my web server, and a bunch of other stuff.

B) Its a pirated version of 7.  (apparenntly this is one of the versions which IS being upgraded ok)

Its a real risk there.. to do an upgrade..

Well... My server just crashed -__- Now i have to see when I get home who caused it.
grr

I previously posted about getting rid of the Win 10 upgrade nag, which was caused by the Windows "optional" update KB3035583. I deleted that update and haven't seen anything about Win 10 until yesterday. I received a Windows update notification, which were all mandatory, with a couple of optional ones. I ignored the optional updates and let Windows install the updates. After the updates were processed and, following a reboot, I had the Win 10 upgrade option in my system tray again. I looked at the updates and found good old KB3035583 again but, this time, it was not an optional update. Once again, I deleted it to get rid of the Win 10 nag.

I think this is a highly questionable business practice by Microsoft, and wonder how others feel about it.Smiley Mad

@jimboden glad you removed that KB3035583 - So far that's all I heard to avoid the advertisement lol

Microsoft wants everyone to upgrade so they can show developers that this is the "next big thing" - end of the day, they are a business and trying to stay alive. High competition these days, you know?

Anyone see the failure of Edge? Microsoft 'work around' was to use IE again lol

When I did the Win 10 upgrade, IE 11 didn't even work. I tried both 32 and 64 bit, but no dice. I assume the work around would be to uninstall and reinstall it, but that should not be necessary. IE 11 works fine on my Win 8.1 system and is always up-to-date.

I think the issue was no add-ins or plug-ins are supported by Edge (Or atleast the plug-ins/add-ins people want)... I think that's why microsoft is suggesting IE11

regardless if its an optional or critical update..

I beleive if you fully HIDE it, it should not update at all, untill you un hide it.

Topic Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 12 in conversation