Windows 10 Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

I had an interesting experience with the Win 10 upgrade yesterday. When I clicked on the task bar icon, I received a notification that the upgrade was available for download. I accepted and expected to have a download stored somewhere that I could use later. I also asked to have the update done later, and the only options were between now and July 31, which I thought was very strange. Being naive, because who would not trust Microsoft Smiley Tongue I let the process complete. After the actual download completed, it went into installation mode, so it ignored my July 31 date. The process took a really long time, but I expected that. When it finished, I had a Win 10 system, as expected. Unfortunately, I had issues with a few things which I use all the time and are very important to me (i.e. they did not work). One thing which didn't work at all was IE11. The 64 bit version issued some strange error message and the 32 bit version did nothing when I clicked on it. That left me using Edge, which I found really confusing. I couldn't figure out simple things like adding task bars for things like Google search and Norton 360, and I didn't find help useful at all. Other simple things like showing all my favourites was not straight forward in the least.

To make a long story short, I gave up on Win 10 after playing around for a couple of hours and was very disappointed. I went back to my Win 8.1 system from a back up. Of course, I still had the Win 10 upgrade icon in the system tray and found out how to get rid of it. Microsoft was very sneaky about this and had an "optional" update a while back which triggered the Win 10 update process. How many people even know what an "optional" update is for? I certainly don't, but I always look at them and, if they aren't for third party software updates, I always accept them.

If anyone is having trouble with this and wants to get rid of the Win 10 upgrade nag, go to Control Panel and look for Windows Update, then look for Installed Updates. Search for the update named KB3035583, right click on it, and select delete. This will get rid of that update and you'll have to restart your computer. After a restart, there's no longer a Win 10 upgrade notification in the system tray. Despite going through that, when I go to Windows Update, I still have an option to upgrade to Win 10 with a check mark beside it. To get rid of that, right click on it and select Hide Update.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have updated my WORK pc to 10.

Due to it being on a domain, even with the updates, never gets the icons, options to upgrade that way.. i had to download the STAND ALONE installer.

Took about an hour and a half, start to finish.

Generally everything has been working fine.  Havent found anything which DOESNT run so far... so to speak.

I THINK due to the domain, etc.. for some reason EDGE doesnt work.  I havent tried loging into a LOCAL login yet to see if it makes a difference.

IE11 though works just fine for me.

Store seems to be doing the same.. but may be the same issue.

Switched my local to US to get cortana.. took about a day for her general recoginition to start working.

Other 'apps' from the windows store run fine though.. Plex, etc.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I've done some digging around regarding Edge and found out it does not support add-ons, which is why I couldn't get task bars for Google and Norton 360. Symantec's position on this is to discourage people from using Edge and use IE, Chrome, etc. instead. There's a rumour that Microsoft will eventually get around to supporting add-on's or something similar. It appears they aren't supported because add-on's create security holes, enabling hackers to compromise your system. I guess we've all seen evidence of this with unwanted add-on's mysteriously showing up in a browser.

It's good to hear that Win 10 is working for you, including being able to use IE 11. I was mystified about it not working for me after completing the Win 10 upgrade, because it didn't make any sense. Win 10 certainly looks promising, but I'll have to defer it until my software compatibility issues are fixed. There's nothing in Win 10 that particularly interests me anyway. I'm quite happy with Win 8.1.

I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Gdkitty:

I've done some digging around regarding Edge and found out it does not support add-ons, which is why I couldn't get task bars for Google and Norton 360. Symantec's position on this is to discourage people from using Edge and use IE, Chrome, etc. instead. There's a rumour that Microsoft will eventually get around to supporting add-on's or something similar. It appears they aren't supported because add-on's create security holes, enabling hackers to compromise your system. I guess we've all seen evidence of this with unwanted add-on's mysteriously showing up in a browser.

It's good to hear that Win 10 is working for you, including being able to use IE 11. I was mystified about it not working for me after completing the Win 10 upgrade, because it didn't make any sense. Win 10 certainly looks promising, but I'll have to defer it until my software compatibility issues are fixed. There's nothing in Win 10 that particularly interests me anyway. I'm quite happy with Win 8.1.

My sense (based on reading various things) is that Edge doesn't support add-ons because it's an unfinished product, but add-on support is supposed to be added later (hey, I want my LastPass!). A number of parts of Windows 10 feel ... unfinished... in my view, and this may be one of the most obvious examples.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

No LastPass?! O_O"
What?!!
I'm an Advisor

I read VivienM's comment and found this: https://plus.google.com/+LastPass/posts/LmbupicWT3v

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Found an interesting new feature on Win10

Was running WoW..

And this notification comes up.. for this game menu, press widows key + G.

I do so.. and pops up this little floating window.. has a few things.. but the niftyest was for RECORDING.
Litteraly just hit the record button.. then stop... records then fully what you are playing..
No need for other plugins or fancy recording stuff..

SOme of the others, i have seen take up a fair bit of memory.. this one seems not to..
Might be a BIG bonus for YOUTUBERs who put up game footage, etc.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

My $500 Blackmagic hardware is USELESS?!

LOL I can't believe everyone is doing Recording.
Twitch really got people into streaming their games haha... and yes youtubers too.
😐 Pretty upset about owning hardware that becomes redundant.
(I actually have 3, total cost $1200 on these bad boys... ASJfklw345uaw fksdlaf ahhhhhhhhhh!!!)

It's nice to have the feature.
Bonus on owning hardware recorders is, no memory leaks... and its straight Digital Video Record, so full 1080p capture. imo.
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

I read VivienM's comment and found this: https://plus.google.com/+LastPass/posts/LmbupicWT3v

Right... i.e. they'll support it the day MS releases the extension API.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Edge seems to render things pretty fast, etc.  Has some potential..

BUT.. need to support plugins, etc. 

Not that MOST people need them... 3/4 of the toolbar programs are borderline malware level 😛 and just eat up resources..

But ocassionaly you do.. specially in business cases where you need to run specific things for reporting sites, etc.

First thing i have been doing on my 10 installs, is put IE icon on the taskbar. (since its removed with install as its a basic installed program.  It sits there beside my chrome and FF icons)

------------------------

I have now done my 2nd 10 uprgrade.
Did it on my 4+ year old XPS l702x laptop.

Doesnt OFFICIAL support 10.. but working good so far.. 1-2 items in device manager which are not showing up properly.. even after trying ALL the driver install packages off the website.. but no isses so far (i think may be semi wireless related.. laptop has some other wireless features i never use).
(helps that i has upgraded a while back to a new SSD for it)

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 12 in conversation