Windows 10 Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows 10 Upgrade

Hello, CommunitySmiley Happy

I’m one of those who are excited about Windows 10 and patiently waiting to receive the upgrade. I have 2 PCs, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 8. I have registered both my PCs after getting the invite to register for Windows 10 upgrade (a popup in the system tray).

This would be the first time I would be upgrading the OS, I had always done a clean full install of the OS, not an upgrade.

I’ve built Windows 7 PC in 2010 and following are Key Specs:

Intel Core i7 860 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.8GHZ 

ASUS Maximus III Formula P55

8GB DDR3

XFX Radeon HD 5770

Windows 8 was built in 2013 with the following specs:

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor   ~3.5GHz

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6450

I’m assuming the upgrade will be smooth on my both PCs and post upgrade I may have to update BIOS and other drivers as they become available for Windows 10.

I’m inviting all hardware, software and OS enthusiasts/experts in the Community to chime in to share the ideas to make the upgrade a pleasant experience.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

***Edited Labels***

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

If your computer meets the requirement, that is WHEN you receive the notice for the Upgrade.
In other words, if your PC doesn't meet the requirement, you wouldn't even get the option to Update it (Applies to Windows 7 only).
All windows 8.1 get the update.

Your i7 Desktop is beautiful.
My concern would be the driver issues for AMD. AMD is in my experience always been behind on updating drivers.

One would ASSUME that they are on the ball for such a major launch in less than 1 month.
O__O Im waiting patiently for this as well.
I want Crotana on my PC.
(I actually wanted GLadOS but she isn't available haha)

Your BIOS won't be an issue. Not that I am aware of. Drivers will be only issues for additional hardware (GFX card etc).

As soon as you get Windows 10 installed. MAKE A RECOVERY DISK.
Since the recoery disk will be for windows 10 not your older version.
Infact, make a recovery disk for Windows 7. 8.1 AND 10. LOL
It uses the same serial key, so it will be still valid. (Just can't have two PC active with same key).

Woot! Excitied!

Thank you, @ShakTiburon. Great tip to make a recovery disk. 

I got the popup yesterday from AMD to update the drivers so that it is Windows 10 compatible, but I will wait until I install the OS upgrade.

@Community - Any more tips? Has anyone else registered to receive the Windows 10 upgrade?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi Community Smiley Happy.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Windows 10 runs compared to Windows 8. From what I've seen online so far it looks great and the fact they placed the start button back on the start menu along with the search option is a bonus Smiley Wink.

This is what I picked to build during the 2014 Christmas holidays:
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97-PRO (WI-FI AC) ATX Motherboard LGA1150 Socket, Intel Z97 Express chipset
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor - 8MB Smart Cache, 3.6GHz, 22nm
RAM MEMORY: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB Memory Module - DDR3
HARD DRIVE: WD Blue 1 TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
TOWER / CASE: Ultra Defender II White ATX Mid-tower Gaming case

* Looking to pick up the Asus GeForce® GTX 750 TI Graphics Card

Will remember to get those recovery drives updated,
RogersArthur

Rogers Employee

My Laptop didn't get it.
But my Tablet and (Custom) Desktop got the notice.

Oh well. I guess I can happily keep my superfast ultrabook as windows 7 without it slowing down lol
Although I find new i7 ultrabooks more expensive than before... I wonder why?

btw guys, You keep saying Windows 8 ... but to clarify Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are two different OS (Structure). They look same, but definitely different. so if you have 8. you need to update to 8.1 to properly upgrade to 10.
I'm an Advisor

I received the Win 10 upgrade notice a few weeks ago. I'm currently on Win 8.1.

My system specs: Full tower CyberPower computer with lots of fans and air flow; Corsair liquid cooled Intel i7-4770K CPU; 8GB RAM; Sound Blaster Zx sound card (best one ever in my opinion); DVD R/W drive; 2TB Toshiba hard drive; 3TB external Seagate hard drive; AMD Radeon 4GB R9 290 video card with up-to-date drivers; Win 8.1 64 bit.

I will be very cautious about upgrading to Win 10. My past experiences with upgrades, going all the way back to the first days of Windows, is very "mixed" to put it mildly. Usually, the biggest problem is with third party software and not the OS itself. I actually will be able to install Win 10 from scratch if I want to without affecting any of my data and application software. I use Symantec System Recovery (SSR) for back ups and recovery. It is a very powerful product. One neat option it has is I can restore a current full system backup to a brand new OS, so I may try that to take a peek at Win 10. If I don't like Win10 or have compatibility issues, I can easily revert to my Win 8.1 backup. All the SSR stuff I mentioned is done by booting from a DVD. Routine backups and file-type restores are done as an OS utility and does not require rebooting, etc.

One reason for me being cautious is that I'm a big online gamer, especially racing. My favourite racing game is Assetto Corsa. I recently got a racing simulator and a new Logitech G27 wheel with shifter. The racing simulator is a real beast. You can see it here: https://www.pagnianamericas.com/store/index.php/simulators.html I was using a Thrustmaster wireless wheel up until now, and it worked very well. The racing simulator and G27 setup is a completely different kettle of fish. I finished installing the simulator a couple of days ago and have started practicing with the G27. It's a completely different driving experience and I'm experimenting with various settings, etc. I'm just at the point where I'm starting to set new lap times compared to my wireless wheel, but progress is slow.

Rogers Employee

I would love a racing simulator. -__- I have no room for anything so THAT will be an awesome toy to play with when I have a dedicated basement for media.

Everyone Set up sounds great. I did a custom build but not the top of the line specs. Since I didn't get the K series processor for overclock (I didn't think I needed it, actually... I still don't)

All I play now is Tera - Online RPG (Free) through steam.

I wish there were more hours in the day to play all the games I desire @__@@

I used to use another program that did the same recovery as you mentioned, It is so good to have. Especially in times like Upgrades and Recovery due to failure.
Btw, 3TB Seagate? was that the one that went on sale for less than $100 at one time? Did you get it as a steal 😉
I am 1TB hard drive x 2 internal. and then 2 TB Hard drives x 3 external.
Too many photos and videos.
I need to start uploading it to cloud soon. x__x

As for Windows 10. I am hoping no issues are caused by it.
I'm an Advisor

I have very limited space for the racing simulator. What I've done is leave it in 2 pieces. The racing seat and the frame for pedals, etc. are theoretically supposed to be bolted together to form one unit. When I want to race, I put both of the pieces in front of my computer up against each other and when I'm done, I move them out of the way. It certainly would be nice to have a dedicated place where you can set it up and forget it.

I have never over-clocked a CPU or GPU. Even though my 4770-K can be over-clocked, nothing I throw at it would benefit from over-clocking. I don't think I've ever seen CPU utilization any higher than about 50%, including intensive gaming. In Windows, I set the system to performance, and the CPU runs at turbo boost all the time, which is about 3.9Ghz. I'm of the opinion that over-clocking is highly overrated. I think it's more for people who like bragging rights because they can tell everyone they're over-clock everything.

I got the 3TB Seagate drive a long time ago, when they were fairly new in that size range. I'd guess it's close to 3 years old now. It came with a USB 3 X1 PCI card, which I installed in the computer I had at the time. My current computer has native USB 3 ports, of course.

It certainly will be interesting to see reviews of Win 10 after it's been out for a while. I don't intend to be an early adopter. Win 8.1 has everything I need and touch screens are of no interest to me. It's interesting Microsoft brought back the start button. I have a free mod for Win 8.1 which gives me a start button. It behaves exactly the same as the OS'es before Win 8.

Rogers Employee

Windows 10 is trying to focus on Desktop users as well as tablet/touch.
8.1 was touch focused. which is why it was horrible.
People aren't ready for Touch only interface for PC. (just phones and simple UI) sadly.
I wouldn't mind leaping to the future a little faster...

Personally, the main reason is, generation prefer mouse/pointer... to evolve we must let go of our old tech! 😛

Brought that up, because i was reading evolution of technology haha.

I have 3.0s and 2.0s - Integrated on the motherboard so it's native.
o__o I still feel posting my specs seem embarassing...
Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Feeling left out. 

I have not got the invite for Windows 10 yet  Smiley Sad

I am currently running Windows 8.1.

RogersAliciaG