What new tech are you waiting for this year?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: What new tech are you waiting for this year?

I like the rain too.  Lived in black forest area of Germany for three years, only 3 full days of sunlight in a year.  Rain is the norm, you just dress for it.  There is no bad weather, just poorly dressed people.

And yes, technology in the medical field is going strong.  Others I could suggest are inventory tracking and billing systems, mapping of archeological sites from the space station, and so many other areas.

And yes, solar still has a ways to go, but it is getting there - need a Tesla designed battery system to go along with it, as well as interconnected grid generation systems for wind and solar like they have along the western coast of Europe.

Nice talking to you.

Bruce

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Speaking of Medical Advances.

Dr. Webb and Canadian and starting to become a hero (mine if not for everyone).

Some people may have heard of Bionic Lens

It is better than contacts and glasses, and much better than Laser Eye Surgery.

I wonder if anyone has opinion on it.

I wear glasses and contacts and I was going to get laser, but if this thing goes full blown. I am so getting it. Just don't want to be EVER the first people to get it.

Solar energy is my "fun toy" because I don't see advances there. Since there is no money to be made on a source that can easily be obtained by sun (free). Tesla however always gets my nod because they have a philosophy that most companies don't.

( Apple hires the fired technicians from Tesla, yes, another jab at Apple, because it's Apple; teehee 😛 ).

As long as there are things in this world that enhance the experience while I am temporarily here. I am happy.

Rogers Employee kr6
Rogers Employee

@ShakTiburon,

Feels like I'm a bit late to this conversation but I'll chime in...I haven't been excited about any new tech for a long time now. This is partly because the level of control these company want over their tech and the lack of interoperbility. I'm more of a Rasberry Pi kinda person, so if I can't tinker with a device, then sit back and marvel at what I got it to do, it is of little interest. Anything less and it's just another appliance.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

This is very true!

Rasberry Pi is evil. Very evil. and I want it... so badly lol

But I agree, the control of companies over their product is very restrictive to innovation. If they can't profit, it isn't worth the effort to release it to the market. (Even if it costs them nothing to release it).

I hope it's not the Canadian Dollar @kr6 that got you holding off on interest. I feel some of my friends don't take interest in tech due to it's cost. In Candian market is almost double the cost. 😐

and btw, technically a PC is an appliance lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In some ways, i am the same KR6

I currently have a smart TV in 2 of the 3 rooms with TVs. 

Generally, they serve my purposes.. MOST of my access right now is done for netflix and plex... and both TVs support this.

(My plex server is running on a PC, fully customizable running plex and many other media serving outlets as well inside the house, homsharing for iOS devices, etc)

But if i want more full featured.. i would be more likely to go CUSTOM over a boxed product.
There is the ROKU.. Anroid boxes.. etc.. but they all have LIMITATIONS on whats installed and how.

I prefer the more CUSTOM, all in one, do how i want option.
I just recently set one up for my brother in law.   mini PC (so not much biger than android/roku).  Win 10 on it, and fully customizable.
Runs all the 'tv' apps available for the windows store.  Runs the Plex Home Theatre.  Runs Kodi.   Can even stream steam games from gaming PCs to it, etc.

I like that more flexability, of doing what i want with it.

Rogers Employee kr6
Rogers Employee

@ShakTiburon

The Pis are fun. Their under powered CPU becomes apparent very quickly when you start throwing tasks at it. But they excel at simple stuff that you don't need a full blown X86 CPU to process.

My lack of interested in not affected by the low dollar. I usually buy electronics I need and at the lowest price available. Even with the . dollar, hard drives and SSDs (which I go through tons of) are still cheaper across the boarder.

Actually, I am interested in home automation devices. The last device that actually got me a bit excited (sadly) was the Nest thermostat. After years of dealing with . Honeywell devices, this new company was going the shake up the scene with a smart thermostat and a sexy looking one at that. That excitement died fast when I learnt Nest had full control of the device, all remote configuration had to go through their website and no public API was available at launch. The good news was this research led me to a $99 device sold by Radio Thermostat that allows direct access and does not need to be controled by the corporate overlords. The device is rough around the edges, but I could marvel at what I got it to do :).

My other interests are in works by people from the Exploitee.rs, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc. Groups that takes your simple consumer appliance and make them into something fantastic. I still own Linksys WRT54 devices that makes great guest WIFI AP.

P.S. I build all my PCs and only buy laptops that have full open source support so they are a lil more that appliances to me 🙂

Rogers Employee kr6
Rogers Employee

@Gdkitty

I don't own any smart TV (yet) and I'll avoid them for as long as I can. All my TV smarts are powered by NUC (Intel's Next Unit in Computing and not bees) size devices. I agree with you on the customizing bit. Setting things up from scratch opens up so many options.

I am not streaming to any mobile devices at the moment so haven't played with Plex. That is on my todo list.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It really comes down to what one wants to do with them.

I think for the AVERAGE user, they are GREAT.   You just want to do BASIC stuff.. netflix and a few other streaming services..
They are perfect.   No need for an additional box of any form, etc.  Only one remote then, etc.

Plex does have its limiations.. is 'tv' stuff is limited to some basic on demand channels, etc.  Definately not the same stuff like Kodi..
But for your own local content.. i have yet to find an EASIER one.
I have tried WMC with many plugins.  I have tried media portal, etc.  All of them worked good.. BUT.. the interface even just for management was clunky.
Plex WORKS, and is insanely simple to set up.

Install server.  It has its own web interface for management. (which is nice vs the others.. where your view and management is seperate)
Create a catagory (movie for example) and point to your movies folder.
And thats it.. it scrapper goes out and scans the files and then creates all the entries for them.  As long as your file naming is clean, etc.. i RARELY have it not find the right title.  But it takes like 3 seconds to correct it in the interface.

I have mine running on my web server in the basement.  My two smart TVs connect to it no problem.

I also run it off my iPad and iphone NIGHTLY while in bed.. streams GREAT with no issues (at least on iOS).
With a simple port forward, completely expands your capabilities as well.  Through your plex login on the site, you can access your interface anywhere from any browser.. and it will stream to you there (obviously using up upload usage though).  Also works then from mobile devices as well.

If you have a lot of 'local' content even for playback (let alone on mobile, etc), plex is great.  I cringe whenever i go to a friends who is still using just DLNA.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm into the Internet of Things (IoT) like wearables and consumer electronics. The closest thing to embedded chip which I would use to track my cat if it should wonder outside etc. and another practical use would be to give a GPS device to a loved one I think is two-timing me and track them! Smiley Tongue Woman Happy Just having a little fun here. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/01/an-internet-of-things-that-will-number-ten-billions.html