Netflix

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Frequent Visitor

Re: Netflix

I think this is talked to death. New topic why doesn't Rogers vs Bell list cast info in "info" for movies? It often helps me decide whether I'm going to watch or not and I really miss it having switched over Look for the date the movie was made a general description and three or four of the top cast members Really miss that.

Hi @licampbell,

Thanks for your inquiry!  I feel your pain.  I've started deciding if a movie is worth watching based on reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb.  That usually breaks it down and has the cast list and everything. 

Having said that, our guide information is provided to us by a third party.  Whether they get that information via the broadcaster or another source, I can't really confirm.  

I hope that helps!

RogersShaun

I'm a Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. If Bell Fibe has such a superior "info" amount of information (date of episode, year if a movie and actors) perhaps Rogers should re-assess their 3rd party source. I switched to Rogers quite recently and see quite quickly that although I am on a one year discounted package, the services are not as good nor as user friendly as Bell Fibe. I left Bell due to slower download times on internet but if they resolve that issue, I may switch back in a year when my discount is over. Rogers has some catching up to do. I like the company - worked there off and on for years in corporate office so have some feelings of loyalty to the company and some long standing irritation with Bell in some areas, but their programming and services are superior unfortunately for Rogers. Yet the prices when compared on similar offerinigs is no different. I recently saw a customer of 35 years leaving Rogers because he finds Bell has better pricing. But back to the info setting - it certainly could be better! I don't want to research on my computer each time I see a program listed on the Rogers Guide to look up the information I want. It's things like that that will add up over time. As an aside, after the 3 bundled services were installed, my installer who was efficient and friendly, left me without a single piece of paper. I didn't know my account number, had no instructions for using the PVR or the handheld Remote etc. Again, compared to Bell who supplied a comprehensive channel list and a booklet of information on using the services this is just customer service with a big gap.  An easy fix, but I was a bit shocked. I needed to call in to ask a question and the CSR that answered was a bit irritated that I didn't even know my account number...hmmmm.

I'm a Senior Advisor

One of the major features is the issue of IPTV versus our current cable model. IPTV provides for the capacity to work like Netflix models, and pull in data from various sources to provide a richer experience, such as Netflix and many apps on the IPTV box (basically and android box in a TV box). where our current set top box is limited to a model of set top design that is basically over 10 years old.

A bunch of tuners, a PVR, and a guide (of which the guide is totally dependent upon what they will give you.  If you consider some of the online guides, you will see they are basically changing live with great detail because it is a data stream on the Internet.

A rogers box is getting an update each night, with a set top design that isn't even laid out to show you the complete description, let alone valid suggestions of what to watch based upon your viewing patterns (this is another IPTV model, as these boxes have very limited 2 way traffic occuring).

So when comparing anything on a rogers box versus a Bell box, or any IPTV company, you are comparing apples and oranges.

The issue for all of us these days, is what pricing can we get right now compared to what our current plans will change to, what feature sets on the TV model do you want, and yes, Rogers tells us their Comcast IPTV is coming, but today it is not here, so the feature set is relevant, the pricing is relevant, and even the issue of speed versus bandwidth is now apples in oranges - Rogers offers speed, but little choice in bandwidth, although improved recently in the new packages, while Bell and 3rd party providers provide lower speeds for those who don't need the speed (and yes, many people don't need it - assess carefully what you do with Internet, streaming and number of devices - most of us don't look like the families in the advertisements), and decide what your actual needs are and then shop around carefully and decide, what feature mix/price decision is best for you.

And yes, I agree, the Bell box wins hands down over a Rogers box.  Even their Satellite box as it now works using the same WIFI attached TV model and the new modems and PVR models beats Rogers hands down in my experience of playing with my families.  I am the only Rogers user in my families.

So the challenge is - getting the marketing pitches of feature sets, speeds, what they can't do, and we can do, we have these awards, you don't - each company add has one of those comparative charts that shows why they are better.

Become fully educated, so questions like this one are very important in the decision making now, as there are many who can clarify what all this stuff means and what the real differences are.

Enjoy your entertainment choices, whatever they may be everybody.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Netflix channel?

Is there a Netflix channel with rogers like with Telus or do you have to use Apple TV?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Jess84

Unfortunately at this moment Rogers does not have a Netflix channel. They have said a Netflix channel would come when they launched the 4K programming and Box in early 2016 but since then little to no communication or talks about it has happened.

With IPTV coming from Comcast, this should have a dedicated app for Netflix. Until then, you would need to use you're Apple TV or smart tv, Smart Blu-ray player or laptop / cellphone to do so.
I'm New Here

Bell boxes have Netflix programmed in so no need for an additional set too box or connection.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @macneilpi

Yes that is correct. However Rogers will not be pushing that until their IPTV boxes and services come out later next year. Stay tuned!
I've Been Around

@ed41woodbine wrote:
how do i get netflix hd for rogers

How do i get Netflix audio to my surround sound using Rogers PVR box and a Yhama receiver

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@slaaslaa wrote: How do i get Netflix audio to my surround sound using Rogers PVR box and a Yhama receiver

If you have IgniteTV, then it should be straight forward if you use the Netflix function within Ignite.  You connect the Rogers Box to the Yamaha same as for "TV".

If you don't have IgniteTV, but rather have digital cable and are tuning Netflix using your TV's app, then you need to connect the TV to the Yamaha receiver via an optical cable and "tell" the TV to use the "external speakers", somewhere in the TV's audio menu setup.

If you are using another device like an Apple TV, then you connect that to the Yamaha for audio. If the Yamaha has HDMI inputs and throughput for the TV, then that would handle audio in the Yamaha and pass video to the TV.

If this information is not adequate, please supply us with all the makes and exact model numbers for each piece of equipment you have in the loop.  Rogers Box, TV, External Box? Yamaha Model, etc.