cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you concerned with higher than normal data usage for your cellular bills?

mmcalear
I've been here awhile

Are you concerned with higher than normal data usage for your cellular bills?

Of course you can download the Rogers My Account APP to track your usage on the Rogers Network but you can also do it on your wireless phone as well.  He is a tip for the iPhone and the Android OS can tell you what APPs are using your data on the cellular network and which are using the usage via the Wi-Fi

Just remember to use your Wi-Fi network as much as possible when download APPs, streaming music, watch movies and using autobacking-up APPs or it could result in high cellular data charges if you don't have a plan large enough to cover your non-Wi-Fi usage.

If you think that you are using only your Wi-Fi network,  then perhaps you're Wi-Fi connect is not holding a steady connection and your phone automatically reverts to its cellular data bucket until the Wi-Fi signal resumes connection. Most devices automatically switch to the Cellular Network when the Wi-Fi drops.

The best test for this is when you are connected to Wi-Fi, disable cellular data, and if you frequently drop the signal then you know it’s time to reset, or troubleshoot your modem/router.

Another common reason that this may happen, is if you have an iPhone that supports Wi-Fi assist, or a Samsung device that supports Download Booster, then disable this feature. It uses Wi-Fi and Cellular data at the same time to download faster, when it could probably just be done on Wi-Fi alone.

Hope this helps

***Edited Labels*** 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Are you concerned with higher than normal data usage for your cellular bills?

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

These are excellent Best Practices.

Thank you for putting this together!

RogersDarrell

Re: Are you concerned with higher than normal data usage for your cellular bills?

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Excellent post. These are all things I tell people all the time when they have concerns regarding high data usage. If you rack up high usage, it is going to be on the bill as these sorts of things are not made up from thin air. Follow these steps and you'll most likely not have issues with high usage again, unless you actually have some sort of technical problem.

There is always a chnce of a back end error.. nothing is ever 100%.. but it would likely affect ALL (or a larger set) of users than just 1-2 here and there.

Between different tracking, there is always a small 1-2% margin for differences in usage.. but that is fairly normal/within reason.

But usually, when there is usage.. there is a reason.

Not saying its DIRECTLY the users fault.. that they specifically USED stuff..

But can be things in the background using usage without them knowing it.
Increased usage  in advertantly (watching videos in 4k on youtube.. even when veiwing small on the screen will use up MORE usage than a regular video, etc)

Even stuff like the possible MAC Cloning.
While not the USERS fault.. its not directly rogers charging/faking more.. its essentially someone STEALING off your internet essentially.

Absolutely right @Gdkitty.

Usually if something does happen on the back end, it would be a widespread thing that people would get alerted about.

I always say to everyone who has a complaint about the high usage; it is there for a reason, and regardless of how it got there, it was used by a device on your internet connection.

Rebound
I'm here a lot

Good post.

In addition, I would add the following:

If you look at the phone's built in usage monitor, it can be misleading if the "month" period setup on it does not match your bill cycle. E.g. my cycle was the 2nd to the first but the phone was set to the 17th-16th of the month because that was when I activated the phone. If I went by what the phone said, on the 30th, I might think I have loads of data remaining when I might be near my limit. Some phones allow you to change the dates to align with your carrier's bill cycle; it's definitely a good idea to do that if you can.

I would also add that I recently discovered that you can add a widget to your home screen on android phones to go straight to your cellular data settings page. This saves a step or 2 turning it off and back on. I try to make a habit of always turning off cellular data and wifi when I'm not using them. Not only does it help reduce unwanted data usage, when you leave wifi on when not connected, it is a security and battery life concern.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 in conversation