Again, Rogers takes but does not give back.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Again, Rogers takes but does not give back.

Just looking at my latest cable bill (VIP) there's a notice at the bottom.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT RUSSIA TODAY TV CHANNEL
Please note that as of July 31, 2018 Russia Today will no longer be available as part of
your television package. Our new television packages have been designed to provide more
choice and flexibility, reflecting the current viewership trends. Russia Today may be added
to any of our new television packages. If you would like to continue to subscribe to Russia
Today, please call us to discuss our current packages and how they might better suit your
viewing needs. All other aspects of your Rogers TV package will remain the same. If you
wish to respond to this notice or, if you have any questions, concerns or wish to modify,
cancel or enhance your cable television services, please give us a call at 1-888-ROGERS1.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Rogers.

Not that I ever watched the Russian propaganda channel, but this is typical of what Rogers has been doing to cable packages, often calling it "realignment" where they remove popular channels and replace them with less desirable ones. This time they removed another channel without replacing it with something else. No reduction in price, of course.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Again, Rogers takes but does not give back.

Afternoon @OLDYELLR

We make changes to our TV packages to provide the best entertainment experience possible. Sometimes that means adding or removing channels. We’ve made the decision to remove Russia Today from certain TV packages. We apologize for any inconvenience.

As always we value your feedback so feel free to do so on our Share a Concern page.

RogersZia

I'm a Senior Advisor

I can see when you remove a channel and substitute one of equal or higher value, but most of the time these "realignments" have been negative, reducing the content of the package.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersZia wrote:

Afternoon @OLDYELLR

We make changes to our TV packages to provide the best entertainment experience possible. Sometimes that means adding or removing channels. We’ve made the decision to remove Russia Today from certain TV packages. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sorry, but I agree with @OLDYELLR on this one. Never once have I seen a change that provides a better entertainment experience. Often, channels are dropped with no replacement. What was particularly reprehensible was the replacement of the older VIP packages with the Popular and Premier packages where customers get significantly fewer channels. There is no added value when you constantly give us less for either the same cost or higher cost. Sounds like you are working from a prepared script. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I just went through my bills for the past 12 months and the notices of cutting channels with no replacement are quite consistent.

Please note that as of July 31, 2018 Russia Today will no longer be available as part of your television package.

Effective April 30, 2018, Bloomberg TV will no longer be available as part of your TV package.

Effective March 31, 2018, Viceland will no longer be available as part of your package as the programmer has ceased broadcasting of the service.

Effective January 1, 2018, Spike TV, BET and BBC Kids
will no longer be available. (Later cancelled. just rebranded.)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, and then add in loss of critical services features such as manage my PVR, the inability to maintain a successful alternative to Crave - Shomi, the removal of value added TV features like NHL Centre Ice first removed from bundles, then from Share Anywhere TV, and the list goes on and on over the last number of years.

The marketing department provides the standard key phrases to respond to our concerns, but, and this is just my opinion, Rogers is using algorithms, to identify the most used services, and mixes to design mixes that lead to packages which provide the most demand services only in the top level packages and probably tie in their cost per user for the broadcaster.

They don't seem to understand the concept of maintaining a "loss leader" - the Russia channel was probably one of those, but for those who want it, to pay for it, they may not, and that becomes justification that nobody wants it (sounds like manage My PVR).

I will acknowledge that after decades Rogers did provide HD on Fox and MNBC, but they have also masterfully designed their pick and pay model, as the other providers have also done such that if you really want a mix that has the channels you prefer.  I don't believe that the reallignment of channels is for our viewing pleasure, it is pure calculation of usage stats as are easily derived via the two way communication between our boxes and their servers, and the cost of each channel and how to optimize a profitable mix.

They are a corporation after all, and no fancy words in advertising can change that reality, and most of us here on this board anyway, just don't buy it anymore.  As oldyeller has done, clear evidence is presented that the changes over the last couple of years have provided no value added to the customer, only removal, and if you want the removed channels, you can pay for it, and add in the removal of any value added features to our services, and Rogers is just another TV provider.

Some will rant about the change, legitimately, and may or may not accept the marketing answers, but that is what the forum is all about.

I agree whole heartedly with @OLDYELLR and @Dugi on their interpretations.

I leave it for each consumer to decide whether they wish to walk, but certainly complain about the changes if you wish and if you don't agree with the scripted responses, then you don't have to accept those either.  I think we can all quote off those scripts on our own.

Unfortunately, the competition does the same things.  Maybe the new model under the new Ignite TV I hear gives more choice in your channel mixes, but we have already seen how they added the hardware to improve the wifi connection to the set top boxes, then after testing it on the new users, they began charging for it, and then rolling it out for availability to Hitron users.  So I see the moto is anything that we want for better services will cost us money.

Our options is to opt out completely and cord cut.

Oh well, life goes on.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

So insulting & greedy that they continue to charge us These ridiculously bloated wireless fees for 10 gigs per month and steal them back & sell them to us again like chumps, but if I try to change it to lower the gigs (say 2) & price, they threaten with just disgustingly greedy overage fees. So I watch them steal approx 8 gigs every month from me (that I bought & paid for)
then sell them back to me... greedy scum
I've Been Around

No matter how you look at it it is a THEFT on Rogers part. Such practices must be brought to CRTC our MP, MPP. What, we are supposed to roll over and take it. I think enough is enough time to take the pitchforks out....

I'm a Senior Advisor

To rationalize it, it's a fact of life in a free enterprise capitalist system. Inflation, whether it's increasing prices or delivering less value for money, has been determined by experts to be good for the economy. It encourages people to work harder to attain ever unattainable goals.  The only people able to stay ahead of inflation are unionized government workers and big corporations like Rogers. Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

To rationalize it, it's a fact of life in a free enterprise capitalist system. Inflation, whether it's increasing prices or delivering less value for money, has been determined by experts to be good for the economy. It encourages people to work harder to attain ever unattainable goals.  The only people able to stay ahead of inflation are unionized government workers and big corporations like Rogers. Smiley Sad

Yes, @OLDYELLR that rationalizes it quite well -  I like the light sarcasm of the determinism by "experts" that it is good for the economy and yes, it does encourage people to work harder to attain ever unattainable goals (at least the ones put in front of the workers, the CSR's, etc every day).  Now as for the only people staying ahead - hey, I used to be a unionized "broader sector worker", developmental disabilities, mental health, computer, IT support, and eventually a teacher at the bottom of the rung of salaries, so yes, I was well paid, generally didn't stay ahead of inflation since back in the Harris cuts and then frozen salary periods, plus I started all over again, then went off on fixed disability due to mental health.  Oh by the way, I did have to get three degrees to get where I was and finally paid off student loans and related loans, only last year and haven't worked in nine years. But I agree, at the time, I could be free with my cash for Rogers products, but no more, and yes, it still feels like things are being taken away every time I turn around, service does not really get better - side note, I am three months trying to finalize the last changes in my services, still at it waiting for next bill to see if it is finally taken care of, so customer service doesn't keep up with the costs either.  And no question the big corporations like Rogers, their top CEO staff and shareholders are certainly making their money off us.

But we have choices, as I have learned, I put up with my frequent call backs to get what I was offered, and watch prices go up and services get taken away. But I can walk anytime.

Yes, the way of our economic world.

Fun to rant a bit then at end of the day, make jokes, and either move one, or put up with it and just enjoy our services until the next time we have to call and rearrange our viewing preferences.

As always, just me, Bruce  Smiley Happy