After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

You  guys and your use of the english language  .... Smiley Tongue  lol 

@BS , so  you wouldn't  have taken the higher speed and bandwidth from Rogers if the  price had been cheaper  and the  remainder of the package suited your requirements at the lower price  ? 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, my use of English language can be hard to follow - blame it on the mental health - I did used to be a teacher of elementary students, and a published researcher, so I used to be able to do it.  Smiley Wink

Answer, yes, I would have taken higher speed and bandwidth with Rogers if the price had been competitive (lower) to the competitors, and if the rest of the package suited my requirements.

But alas - it didn't - I would have considered the new customer pricing alternative for one year, but wasn't offered (can get it in 3 months Smiley Happy - yup I really want to do this all over again - nope!!)

And I could have kept things within the framework of my current contract, lost discounts in places and maybe have got close, but again, really don't want to do this all again in October when the current one runs out.

Hope my use of the English language was better this time - I ramble for sure and drift off topic and am not concise for sure - Smiley Happy

Thanks @barndoor  Always a pleasure to get helpful feedback on my communication, and I really mean that. The teacher is now the student.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

Bruce,

That was basically what I experienced too.  The agents I spoke to didn't seem inspired to keep me as a customer for TV, Home Phone and Internet services.

Maybe they are constrained in what they can offer.

In past years I've had no trouble being persuaded to stay.

Now alas all they have from me is my Mobile service.

Peter
Toronto
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the feedback on your experience @pmcsplaza  It allows people like ourselves to know, that this isn't us, this is just business.

I will give credit to the last retention person I spoke to - they were "inspired" to fully understand my needs and was very clearly understanding of why I could not accept it. Polite, thorough and very understanding of my circumstances, and honestly sounded disappointed that she had no options to help me go forward.

They also acknowledged that yes, the old model where they offered loyalty offers on a consistent basis, (the only one I know of right now is the data add on for share everything plans), is pretty much gone as an option for the reps to work with us, either just for loyalty or to convince us of reasons to stay.

They used to have a range of offers they could offer that could meet the desires of just about any customer and what always amazed me was that they often just offered them to me when I called in about something else. That is how I got all the bonus add on's on my old grandfathered plans, the Better Choice Bundle discounts, and may others over the years.

They are definitely constrained, but she at least explained all the options she could work with and did acknowledge her own personal thanks for the long commitment, but at the end of the day, her hands were completely tied.

Clearly this is a very definite and hard lined decision by Rogers to offer only a select model of services, which definitely is very different from my own personal experiences with the company.  Whether it pays off is to be seen.

Thanks for all the support in this very tough decision making process for my wife and I and hope that by communicating my experience along with others, we can all begin to understand these new models and make our individual choices.

Bruce

barndoor

You know I was just funnin ya @BS ... it is a very rare  occaision indeed that there is any question as to what your message is .   Smiley LOL

And while mobile  ws our  only accounts  with Rogers,  9 months ago  main one  of them moved to a competitor . It  was mainly price point that was the issue  ..  but after twenty some years , Rogers would have had to go 5-10 % better for retention  due to past customer service issues .  Maybe the new provider will be no better or worse but one must be optimistic  right?  Smiley Wink

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@barndoor  I knew you were joking around - a little bit defensive today - just the way the health goes at times, always love a conversation with you and you digs and jokes and support. We are kind of alike.

All we will have left is phones, and we are still thinking that one over.

While we are adding full disclosure into the mix - you and others know I have had my challenges with Rogers services over the few years, whether it be the flop of the initial implementation of MyRogers, Navigatr, old security protocols or certificates with One Number, IPTV failure, the online site for home voice mail, and as I like to say, "oops, clicked the wrong button, and oh by the way, I can't set it back".

I have worked through various levels and got satisfaction at the end, but have had serious doubts about their approach to CRTC decisions and implementation of those changes, which they say "regulatory changes", and I respond, well actually regulatory changes from the Ask Canadians initiative and we said we want changes in our service models and they did their best to implement changes.  Guess that is the new world where we have to communicate changes through the CRTC, then they have to try to enforce it.

And I have had serious doubts at their multiple attempts to keep up to changes with the competition, trying to be "better" and failing in so many ways, and serious questions about their technical prowess in their internal staff, contracted providers, and support staff to put products out with adequate testing.

But I made my mind known as many did here and through reps, and escalation and things improved somewhat, but in the meantime, prices increase, product choice decreases, and I was priced out.  Loyalty kept me through all that, but it can't keep me to buy things I don't want nor can I afford it.

I do hope the next provider does at least as good or better service, I can live with service issues and expect them to come with modern technology, and ultimately I am not contracted (minor penalty that I have to pay back the discount if I leave before a year and that is fair), and I shall see if the decision pays off.  But at a minimum, I am returning to my roots and learning to enjoy time with my wife, puttering again with habits, and we are both dropping the tv addiction we have developed.

On a closing note - I heard an ad for cellular data from one of the companies, didn't catch who it was.

Went something like this - Are you satisfied with the data you have - yes - are you concerned with the amount of data you have - no does it seem like I am disatisfied in any way -  Oh, well, we can offer you 2 gig free on the best network (by the way, it wasn't Rogers - they did the 2 gig free, guess the competitors weren't far behind, and Koodo was actually first).  So, although the person in the ad doesn't need the extra data, they get it.

So where is the offers when it is for loyalty, not for competition.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

As a footnote , I have to report a bizarre thing.  My Rogers email address is still receiving traffic.  Not much but some (I guess I forgot some subscriptions when I was doing the change reported in post #1).  I know because it is linked to my old Yahoo.ca email address which is forwarded to me via a spam filtering service.   So if someone emails my old Rogers address, Yahoo reads it as its own and forwards it.

I've gone into Yahoo Mail (which IS Rogers Mail whether you want it to be or not) and click Settings > Accounts > xxx (that account) > "Remove Alias" and get an error saying I need a valid Yahoo address, which of course I do.

A bit of a dilemma there.  Any ideas folks?

Peter
Toronto
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

For now, I don't think I would worry about it.  The member's centre is just an overlay to the standard Yahoo settings, simplified, with most of the options stripped out, but if you have a Rogers's email, it won't let you get to the yahoo settings.

Since you don't have the Rogers account anymore, you won't be able to get to the member centre.

So, long and short of it, the emails from Rogers being forwarded to you, just let the relevant parties know of your changed address.  Maybe it takes a while before Yahoo shuts the Rogers accounts down.

Ahh, what a mess Rogers can be with just about everything they do.  Some things they do well - let me think - nothing coming to mind that they consistently do well Smiley Happy, and other things to be polite, they are somewhat ignorant (in the true sense of the word - unaware of true knowledge - or don't know) about a lot of what they provide.

You thought you were done, and things keep coming.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

This morning the "Please Hold" lady has cut me off 5 times and don't anyone even try the option to have them call back, that calls you and tells you that you are next in line and promptly hangs up on you.

I think their phone system needs an overhaul.

Anyway am on hold now with a possible 25 minute delay ahead of me.   Oh well.

Regarding the mail account, if I click the link under my name it takes me to the page where one can Add an Email account, but not take one off alas.   So that part of my account is still active.

Peter
Toronto
pmcsplaza

BTW I still have a Rogers account.....for my 2 mobile devices.   It tries to take me there each time I call in.

Peter
Toronto