Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rank structure

RogersGina
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey guys,

As the community grows, I'm looking to develop higher rank structures. I would appreciate your input about potential themes, remember we're working through precious metals + diamond now. Would you like to see super powers, military ranks, fight styles (ninja), n3rd, others?

Of course I won't be able to reveal to you what I choose 🙂 but I wouldn't want you to miss the opportunity to have your say!

Thanks!
Gina

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rank structure

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen the military rank ones way too many times.. i vote no for those.

I would like to say some nerd or a combination of them.. but dont want to get TOO far out of there that non nerds might not get it 🙂

IE: Our WoW guild, had jedi ones for a while - Padawan, jedi, jedi master, sith, sith lord, etc 😛

skinorth
I'm an advisor

@RogersGina:

I think I understand your question and proposed directions in this.

First, I agree with Gdkitty that the military type of ranking has been done before.  But (and this is a personal comment, and others might disagree....) I associate that kind of ranking and structure more with our neighbours to the south of our border.  They seem to think more in military terms, given their history and experience with such things.

I wonder though whether you might want to consider a different issue relating to this matter.  And that is the psychology and use of the ranking system in promoting interest and participation amongst the "newby" posters.

"Our" group here consists of various individuals who, for whatever reason, are "hooked" to Forum participation.  I don't mean to imply that you want to discount the importance of maintaining our interest.  Not at all!

But I do mean that there are a significant group of Forum participants out there who, in a moment of crisis, make one or more postings on the subject of their issue.  And then we never hear from them again.

Much of that behaviour is inevitable, and the result of simple human nature as well as the fact that the majority of people out there are often barely able to formulate an effective posting to describe their problem, let alone post suggestions in response to problems and issues raised by others.

But then there are the relatively fewer number who are capable of analyzing their issue and  effectively creating a posting asking their question or describing their problem situation.  They are the ones who have potential as longer-term contributors to the Forum, if only they would stick around and monitor postings on a regular basis.

So, I see that as the issue: how to encourage the relative newbies who are capable of contributing to the Forum, to actually stick around and participate once their initial reason for Forum activity is resolved.

So, the ranking system needs to reward the newer members in both a qualitative and quantitative way.  Good postings need to be rewarded, as do also the sheer quantity of postings registered.  Need I mention ROGERSLOW in terms of both quantity and quality in posting and Tagging.............

If you believe you do need to extend the current ranking system, you could always do something a little tongue in cheek.  For example, you could elevate yourself to "Community Manager with Two Diamond Clusters" or "Most Magnificent and Honoured Community Manager".

Your next rank could then be "Community Manager with Three Diamond Clusters" or "Most Magnificent and Triply Honoured Community Manager".

skinorth

RogersGina

Hi skinorth,

You bring up a great point about rewarding new members. In fact, I learned that we can great a little icon to appear next to a thread with a new member posts for the first time. If we implement it, it will make it easy for us to recognize that first post and say, "hi". 

And as you point out, we could add layers to the current system by creating a Silver Emperor I, Silver Emperor II, Silver Emperor III, etc...

Most Magnificent and Honoured Community Manager,

Gina

@Your Honoured Magnificence:

retention of Forum newbies seems like a good thing.  I will be interested to see what you come up with.

skinorth

Chris
I'm a senior advisor
Personally I am trying for the rank "Master of the Universe" but I think HE-MAN already has it..

On a cautionary note, just remember the story which at one point mentioned feet of clay......

skinorth

RogersGina

Just wanted to let you guys know that the rank structure has been updated 🙂

It'll be awhile until the new levels are revealed...many thanks for your help!

Gina

Chris
I'm a senior advisor
Fine I will resume posting 100 times a day....
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation