Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy New Year!!

RogersGina
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey guys,

I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year! I hope you all had a great holiday with your friends and families. I'm glad we've had a chance to connect more as a group in 2012 and I'm looking forward to an even better 2013. 

What do you want to see in the community in 2013? Anything suggestions? 

Gina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Happy New Year!!

RogersGina

Don't wait for me! I'm just reading from the sidelines today 🙂

My only suggestion is to post each (draft) topic in a new thread. Also, let me know when you're planning to post live and I can make the post read only. 

Just keep in mind that this is a hosted site so there could be times when I'll have to edit a post based on feedback from a product team but I will let you know if that happens! 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont know if a community thing or if more a forum thing.

Wondering if there is such a way as a 'vote for stickey' sort of things for the options?

Often if there is say a PRESSING issue effecting many users.. or sometimes setup guides, etc that are a hot topic, to be put on stickey for X period of time.

RogersGina

Great suggestion! Just let us know if there's anything you want to make sticky. You can PM me of post here 🙂

well i know we can PM you 🙂

I used to run/set up a few other boards in the past, and i know they had a auto one, where people could put them in.. just figured that way it would more automate it so you got notified, etc.

RogersGina

Oh - automated or voting is a no 😞

BUT if we add the "me too" button it would certainly help us understand which are sticky. The only thing is those would need to be solved to be promoted I expect.

.. maybe a mallet? so i can drop it on a few select users heads? Man Frustrated

A Happy New Year to you as well.

Yeah, but just don't drop the mallet on your toes..................

skinorth

skinorth
I'm an advisor

@RogersGina:

Gdkitty has come up with what I think is a really good suggestion in a recent posting in the Internet Forum.  He proposed that we promote the creation by Forum users of implementation guides for, in this case, the use of external routers with bridged D3 cable modems.

He and I have PM'ed a bit and we were wondering if we can extend Forum functionality to allow us to do this more efectively.  There are a number of functional areas that will need to be addressed to do this most effectively.

Perhaps Gdkitty can let you know what might be needed, if he hasn't PM'ed you on the matter already.

skinorth

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
happy new year guys n gals

RogersGina

Woah Pauly makes an appearance - welcome back 🙂

@skinorth and @Gdkitty - love the idea of putting more content up. I'm not sure if we can change the functionality of the forums, it may just have to be a regular post. We could set it to read only so that people couldn't reply to it. Would that work? Similar to what we did with the OS Upgrade schedule....

Well yes and no that would work.  Marking as read only, might be a good thing, to prevent too much 'extra' stuff from being added to the thread.

The main concern, has come down to 'changes'

So say, we put up the guide in a few weeks.  List the current firmware revisions, models, etc.  All is good.
Then a month from now, rogers releases a new firmware version.. and the menus change, or its called something different, or how you have to do it, is different.

Currently, we can edit a recent post, but anything older, we cant.
We dont want to have to have a 'oh always look at the BOTTOM of the thread for the newest' type of thing 😞
Some way an unlock or something, that we could then go back and edit the ORIGINAL posts to update the content.. (even if its per request.. we want to change it, have to PM you guys to unlock it so we can edit it, etc)

RogersGina

I can give you guys permission as community leaders to edit longer than the current default (24 hours). I have the power!! 

That might work 🙂 

Contributors would have to discuss weither we want it open or not.. as i am assuming locked we cant edit it, etc.. but i guess it could be unlocked long enough to edit, etc.

RogersGina

You would only have access to edit as the OP. Any other edits would need to be done by one of the mods. Locked just means that others won't be able to comment on it - could be good or bad.

Pros - other users can add tips, context, benefit of their experience

Cons - it confuses the topic because people add more questions but we could just move those to a new thread (as moderators).

Making a thread read-only could work, if a few other steps were also taken.

What if we create and edit/expand the posting on a given subject here in this more restricted area of the Forum.  We create a prototype or proposed posting here.  At this point we would have the ability to discuss and critique the posting amongst us, and post revised versions of the "document" to the thread, as well as discussions on the topic.

Once we have refined the document/posting to where we believe we have worked out the bugs and issues, and made it as accessible as possible to the wider (probably less technically knowledged) Forum participants at large, we can then repost the item in the area of the Forum where we want this to be posted.  At this point the posting becomes read-only.

If in future revisions are required for reasons of changes in firmware, or whatever, we can follow the same process and then either post it in the original thread in the main forum, or create a new thread.

The above process will take some time, and some impassioned/inspired individual will need to step up to the plate to create the original prototyp document on a given subject to trial the whole concept.  That individual will need to be capable of receiving hopefully constructive suggestions for improvements or additions.

That leaves one other matter, that of testing the document/process once we have gotten it to the point of near-completion.  And finally, someone will need to make the decision that the document is ready for prime time and can be posted in the Forum at large.

OK all, slings and arrows, rotten tomatoes, or whatever you got.  Give it to me!  Does the above have merit, or should I go back to vacuum tubes.........

skinorth

I agree, we could do the ROUGH copy here, make sure its formated ok, etc.. before posting it in the regular section.

While i agree it should be proofed and tweeked before posting.. and that done with any MAJOR revisions. Minor revisions could just be done ad hoc, say something like just changing the firmware version #, but the process didnt change, that sort of thing.

With the way the editing would work, etc.. yes, this would have to fall on one person, at least for THAT thread.  IE if we do this more often, different people may be in charge of the edits for A and C, but someone else for B document.

While i agree we should review, edit before posting it... i dont want it to be TOOOOO formal, if you get jist..  dont want it to be each change has to go under a review board before being done, etc, etc. 😛 otherwise it becomes too much like a JOB 🙂

@Gdkitty:

Right!  We don't want it to be like a job.  Rogers would need to pay us, and that would mess up my taxes.
Smiley Very Happy

The motivation for my suggestion is that we are proposing to produce postings which hopefully will have some authority for technical quality and factual correctness.  Also, the intention as I understand it is that they be a reference for more complicated extensions users may want to make to their home installations.  Under normal circumstances these postings would have a longer than normal "lifetime".  All of which means to me that we need to ensure a greater than normal degree of thoroughness and quality in our postings.

There are no doubt different ways to approach this.  So, let's see what other comments come in.

skinorth

Nice to see, that posters are quick to jump on the band wagon of replying to 10+ posts with whine and complaining.. but no one has jumped to offer to help with it really so far in the thread 😛

@Gdkitty:

OK, let's cut to the chase!

1. So far, we haven't yet had any feedback from RogersGina, who I assume we would want/need on board with this concept.  Until she responds positively, any action is premature.

2. In order to make this whole "project" more real, we need actual topics/subject matter/areas of interest which we will address.  Until we have actual proposed topics, this discussion is hypothetical.  Tthe subject of bridging D3 modems and setting up/configuring an external router connection for the various Rogers-supplied modems seems like a possibility.  I however, do not use cable, and have no direct experience with this subject.  For this topic, would you think a posting for each of the modem/router makes offered by Rogers is required?  And what is the impact of different makes/models of external routers which users might wish to connect?

3. Another area which just recently was the subject of some postings is that of DNS benchmarking/optimization.  This again will need to be handled differently depending on whether the router has the functionality of changing its DNS settings (my Ericsson W35 does not!).  Of course, I could put an external router on my W35, and disable the W35 dhcp functions.  DNS performance ought to be of interest to basically all users of the Internet due to its significant effect on normal web browsing activity.

4. Pending approval/concurrance of/with our approach, I am will to take a kick at the DNS subject.

So, who else is there out there with ideas on what needs to be done, and would like to initiate an effort to make it happen?

skinorth

RogersGina

Don't wait for me! I'm just reading from the sidelines today 🙂

My only suggestion is to post each (draft) topic in a new thread. Also, let me know when you're planning to post live and I can make the post read only. 

Just keep in mind that this is a hosted site so there could be times when I'll have to edit a post based on feedback from a product team but I will let you know if that happens! 

2) Yeah, i understand that you dont have the cable.. I am guessing 'bridged mode' doesnt exist on the wireless ones?
While i dont think it requires a seperate thread for each, i would figure something as follows:
Header/introduction as to what the thread is for, what the below sections will be, etc.
Followed by then One reply for SMC config, one reply for Cisco config, one reply for Hitron config, and then one for the alternative of just a wireless as an access point.

These may not be very big.. but the HOW TO as per the menus may be different enough, better to break them down into their own sections.

As for the 'router' part of it.. i think we would pretty much just put a 'connect your own router, make sure that it is secure' type of disclaimer.. maybe a link to a few of the major brands sites, etc.. but goes a little FURTHER out of scope, to then support every persons router in that way.
The Access point discussion, would just list WHAT has to be changed on the wireless router... not how/where to change it.

3) the DNS is a good idea.. Ontop of the optimization part of it (finding the best one for you, etc) could expand on HOW to do so.. at least where possible for whatever models of Routers, etc.  As well, the basics of how to change it on a device basis, at least on some of the major devices (PC, Mac, Android, Iphone, etc)

As i had already made that other post, i dont have an issue taking on the bridge mode one.

But with many of them we may need INPUT as we cant be expected to OWN each of the devices.  Even if it means to start... ok i get all the infor the for SMC, CISCO... but DONT have the hitron.. everythings formated, etc.. can still MAKE the post, have a section for it.. and just leave it "HITRON INFO NEDDED, please PM GDkitty if you have this information to add" sort of thing.

As for other topics.. lets not get TOO overwhelmed at first.. but i am sure more will come up as it goes on.

Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation