'You or an app are trying to access internet'

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

'You or an app are trying to access internet'

Almost every time I turn on my phone (Nokia C3-00 on 'Pay-as-you-go'), I receive a text message from Rogers that says "You or an app are trying to access internet." (sic)

I'm not trying to access the Internet in any way and, unless it's hidden, there is no app running on this phone. How can I find out and disable whatever is causing this?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 'You or an app are trying to access internet'

do you have email set up on it? Its possibly trying to go check for email.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I had setup email at the beginning (1½ years ago) with the option for automatic periodical fetching of emails turned off, but never used it.

If it fetches emails when turning on the device regardless of that option, I would have expected it to do it every time, not just 7 out of 10 times.

Anyway...

I deleted the email account completely. We’ll see.

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had the E series nokia before my iphones... so i am trying to thing, of what else MIGHT be trying it.

I never really had any other APPS on there per say.. other than one game (no net access), email, then web browsing.

If a webpage was left up and trying to refresh.. MAYBE then it would be wanting to use data.. but with a reboot or turn off the phone, i would think would break that connection.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have an LG-E410B phone on the Pay-Go plan and only use the Internet when I have wifi available and turned on. Each day I receive this text message:

"Rogers msg: You or an app are trying to access internet on your device for internet access options click http://rogers.com/m/smartphonedp/0/i (link is free)"

When I click the link it doesn't work because it apparently wants to use the data network, not my wifi. I even forwarded the message to my laptop by email and just get this message when I click it:

"(Error) WIFI Detected
We are unable to authenticate you as you are not currently on the Rogers or Fido Mobile Networks. Please disable your WiFi connection and launch your browser to try again.
Click here for Yahoo! oneSearch "

I actually got charged 50 cents DATA for forwarding the message, but I have no intention of ever intentionally using data because that would soon deplete my Pay-Go balance. I manage to use less than $100/year air time and intend to keep it that way.

So, how can I stop these cryptic Rogers messages from coming?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: "You or an app are trying to access internet"

You need to disable background sync on your phone to prevent that message.

One or more of your applications are trying to automatically connect to the internet to update something, whether it be your email client, some sports app, facebook, etc.

Also, that link it says is free, so I don't think you would deplete any of your PayGo balance by clicking that link off of wifi.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks, I'll look into that, although I do believe I've already turned off automatic checks for new email and gmail. After I posted here, I also found a setting to disable data so I don't get any surprise data useage.

Okay, I see I have auto-sync data checked for email, dropbox, weather and google, but presume that would only work when I have wifi since I've turned off data. I'll see how that works.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello OLDYELLR

If you turned DATA off then you should be fine. I doubt u will receive this message again unless you turn ON Data. When your phone connects to WiFi, your apps & sync will automatically start again just using WiFi as you disabled aka turned off Mobile Data. Hopefully this fixes the issue you are having!.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, basically the only reason I got this new phone was so I could take pictures and videos which the old one couldn't, not spend all day facebooking like the kids. Of course, I can still do that at home with my wifi for free With a $100 voucher, which I can roll over for a second year because I have a hefty balance, my monthly cellphone cost works out to about $4.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello OLDYELLR

That is truly understandable. It is a good phone tho. I have not heard many complaints about it. You should be fine if you turn off DATA & just use WiFi. Just make sure you do not turn DATA back on or else you pay get charged data if you continue on it.

That is a good plan as well!.