Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

What is continum? costant backups?

In a nutshell, Continum is a "PC in your Pocket".

If you're using a win 10 Universal app (an app that works on mobile, tablet and desktop), you take your phone and put it in a "Continum dock" - the dock has connectors for keyboard, mouse and monitor and VOILA - your phone is now a PC and the universal app will recognize this and do its best to give you a desktop experience.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Ah, That is interesting.
o__o"
I have a Windows Tablet and PC so tablet will be usefull in this scinario. No win Phone yet but good to know. Thanks @Lurker

and @brandonjbarnard I think some developers are loyal to apple. So they won't port their apps.
Which I see now harm in doing, but I guess once you port it, it would still need to be tweaked for that OS. imo.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Very cool Microsoft launch today .. in case you missed it you can see it on demand here:

http://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-us/live-event

US prices for the Lumia 950  and 950 XL are $549 US and $649 US.  Phones are supposed to be available in the US starting November.

Hopefully they will be available via Rogers by December (wishful thinking)?

Its anyone guess what the pricing will be like here on a 2 year locked-in Rogers plan, but regardless,  I think the 950 or 950XL will be my next phone, and I will simply wait it out.

I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed very cool event, now if only Rogers would be so kind as to give us an ETA on launch here in Canada that would be great!

@Mediaman

Here is a response from a previous post provided by @ShakTiburon in regards to possible pricing

"To answer your question @brandonjbarnard
Usually the subsidy on 2yr term on premium tab is 490.01 (in some cases like iPhone its 570.01 - 590.01)
but that is to be determined by Rogers based on demand, stock and how well the phone is already marketed. but the standard is 490.01
Example: 750 - 490.01 = 259.99 on a 2yr term (most likely) - This isn't absolute, this is based on trend.
But it could be cheaper.

Just an FYI - Subsidizing device is almost always cheaper than buying the phone full price. (if you do the math) "

I'm going to wait it out too. Been waiting for 1.5 years (Feels longer) for another windows flagship. Its been hard but not a fan of the alternatives.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@brandonjbarnard thanks for the explanation, even a ball park at this point is welcome, and if this figure holds it is actually quite reasonable.

Couple of thoughts/questions:

1) The new phones are of course branded as Microsoft, but who makes them? Does Microsoft/Nokia still exist? Will there be annoying native Nokia apps? Hope not. 

2) The 950 is 5.2" which seems like a healthy size. The XL is 5.7" which seems a little to big for carrying around every day, in a suit or pants pocket, or holstered. I suppose I need to hold them to know for sure .. I guess I should check out the iPhone 6 (4.7") and the iPhone 6Plus ( 5.5"), for size only, and get a feel for what works. 

3) I know many are excited about Continuim, but I can't imagine ever buying one., given that I would also need a keyboard, monitor, cabling and a desk... in which case I would just use a dedicated computer, like I do now. Am I missing something?

Here are some key specs I found ....both phones sound great!

Lumia 950:
Dimensions: 145 x 73.2 x 8.25mm
Weight: 150g
Display: 5.2in 2560x1440 pixels (568ppi pixel density)
Storage: 32GB (expandable up to 2TB)
RAM: 3GB
Processor: Hexa-core 1.8GHz Snapdragon 808
Connectivity: Wi-Fi (dual-band 802.11ac), Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS
Front facing camera: 5MP
Rear facing camera: 20MP (PureView with Zeiss optics)
Battery: Li-Ion 3000mAh battery

Lumia 950 XL:

Dimensions: 152 x 78.4 x 8.1mm
Weight: 165g
Display: 5.7in 2560x1440 pixels (518ppi pixel density)
Storage: 32GB (expandable up to 2TB)
RAM: 3GB
Processor: Octa-core 2GHz Snapdragon 810
Connectivity: Wi-Fi (dual-band 802.11ac), Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS
Front facing camera: 5MP
Rear facing camera: 20MP (PureView with Zeiss optics)
Battery: Li-Ion 3340mAh battery

@Mediaman

As far as I know Microsoft will be making them. Microsoft bought Nokia's phone division a couple years ago. Nokia still exists as a company however they are not allowed to make phones until next year. At first it was a huge partnership between Microosft and Nokia. Nokia being the biggest OEM that built windows 8 devices.

I actually thought the Nokia "HERE" maps and GPS were really good. The Lumia camera apps were also very good in my opinion.

You could definitely use the iPhone 6 as a reference point for size. My Lumia 920 is a 4.5" screen so I'm looking forward to the extra space on the Lumia 950! So excited!

I see what you are saying about continuum. Like a lot of people I own a PC. But students going away to school for example. Buy them a Lumia 640 or a Lumia 950 and they have a pocket PC. take notes on their phone, record audio for classes etc go back to dorm, hook it up to continuum and continue working on Office. Also there other emerging markets like Brazil, and India where no one has the money for a iPhone. However everyone can afford a windows phone. So not only do they now have a wireless device, they potentially now have a PC for the family.

@brandonjbarnard  - I too will enjoy the size of even the smaller 950 - my current HTC 8X is 4.3"

Point noted re apps-  depends on the OEM I suppose. We will know soon enough

On Continuum, great points re the dorm scenario (its been 40 years for me) , third world, etc. But even there (assuming they can afford a continuum capable phone), a lot will depend on price. I dont think its going to be a $10 adaptor. If it gets too pricey, I would sooner have a mini pc (almost the same footprint) and at least that way I would have an independant pc, which could also serve as a backup (esp if I ever lost the phone), could be used while my phone is charging elsewhere, and could be used by other authorized users etc etc. I would have no use for it in my home network - I already have access to office apps and cloud data. And if travelling with my phone, how would it even work in a hotel room or business center? Even if you travelled with the Continuum, its not practical to tear apart thier set up to be able to plug in a keybaord and monitor. And its not even a wireless concept - I dunno - just seems clumsy and messy for anything other than a permanent setup..which will always bring me back to a dedicated pc instead. What I would be more impressed with is a Wireless Continuum Interface... place your phone on it, and it connects wirelessly to your destop, and you have full access to ithe phone in a desktop window ...and all the while your phone is also charging 🙂

Get Ready!
Ask an Expert: IGNITE TV Part II
JOIN US: November 5, 6, & 7
Start: November 5th 10AM ET
End: November 7th 6PM ET

We're back with another Ask an Expert!!
JOIN US

For three straight days we will have exclusive access to some of Ignite TV's best Program Managers. They will be here taking your questions LIVE!

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 25 Likes
  • 10 in conversation