Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

I know right, plus they make it so easy. Just click a few buttons sign into your microsoft account and then it appears in the mail... dangerous lol

Good question, no idea. unfortunately there are no microsoft stores in Ottawa.

My thoughts exactly. Will have to wait a few more weeks to see how this is going to shape up.

That price for those specs is not good for anybody, And even on a 2 year contract will cost you $ 398 up front! If I was a iPhone user I'd be upset that it would cost over $1000 for a new iPhone with only 16GB storage, 2GB of RAM, 1750 mAh non removal battery!, and no micro sd slot for expandable storage, no wireless charging etc. Not only that but how is the battery going to last you a full day of use? Funny because on GSM Arena it gives the battery hours based on the 3G settings and not on LTE.

I myself would get a 950XL as well. However I just found out that I will be getting a free blackberry paid for through work. So not sure when I will be upgrading now. Thinking on what I'm going to do....

I too love my my Windows Phone. I am updating my Rogers plans and nows the time for me to get a new cell . I currently have an older HTC 8X hand me down. But does Rogers even offer any WIndows 10 phones or do you need to bring your own? When I went online to Rogers/Shop/Wireless/Phones, the only platform they seem to show show ( left side menu) is for Android (37) , Blackberry (3) ,  iOS(Apple) (46), Symbian (1)

If I go back up one page and look futher under DEVICES, it takes me here, http://www.rogers.com/web/content/os-windows-8 , I do see two pohnes, Lumia 830 and 635 - but they are Windows 8, nothing for Windows 10. When I click on View all Windows Devices, the page is empty. But I cahtter with Rogers has they say  WIndows 8 O/S gets upgraded to Windows 10 after you have it.

From the little I know, I think the 830 is/was a decent model...but heard it was or is being discontinued, and 840 coming out soon. Pirce is good for the 830, but I may just wait it out..as long s 840 pricing is not ridiculous.

Hey @Mediaman

At this moment Rogers does not offer any Windows 10 mobile devices as the operating system is still in development. Microsft will be announcing Windows 10 devices on October 6th and hopefully shortly after that they will be available through Rogers. The only way to get windows 10 on your device now is to opt into the preview for developer tool/app and download it to your phone. However I do not recommend this as you will be downloading an operating system that is still in developement that may not work properly.

It is true that Windows 8 devices should get the update to windows 10, but the device has to have at least 8GB of storage.

As far as I know there is no 840 device being developed. Since Microsoft has purchased Nokia they have consolidated their device portfolio. So on October 6th we will most likely see the following models

Lumia 550

Lumia 640 & 640XL (These devices are already available online for sale. The 640 line has replaced the Lumia 1320 and the 640XL is available for sale on www.microsoftstore.ca or www.expansys.ca)

Lumia 950 & 950XL (Like I have mentioned before I belive the Lumia 640 and 950 will be offered by carriers and if you want to get the "XL" devices, you will have to buy them unlocked directly from Microsoft)

I would definitely wait it out, if you have waited this long for a new flagship device, what is another couple of months?

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Excitedd..... woooooooo! *hops around in excitment*

October isn't coming soon enough! lol
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

I've been using Windows Phone since the 920 and I am still loving it, battery life is amazing it is accually a powerful OS, but its simple enough that allows me to get my work done. As the apps, there are pretty much all the key apps, most aren't updates to the standards iOS or Android, but there are some amazing apps, and with more and more services using the web, I haven't really found it to be an issue. (unless snapchat is important). With the Windows 10 kernel being shared across all products (PC, tablet, phone, xbox, and IoT) along with new tools for delevopers to easily expand there apps to windows with ease, I think we will see the Windows App store grow with quality.

I will be eagerly awaiting Microsoft's offical announcement in the coming weeks, it sounds like they won't be super high end, but if its a good flagship at fair prices (aka not Apple markups) I will probably migrate over to a new phone. The new contiunium feature, where you will connect your phone to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and you got "full" Windows 10, looks amazing and I can totally see myself using it.

Hey @b-ry

I too have been using Windows phone since the 920 and still loving it and she is still going quite strong. My battery has always been a bit of an issue so I've been doing my best to tweak settings over the years. Other than that I've been happy the entire 3 years I've had it. The app gap doesn't bother me all that much, accept for some games I keep seeing advertised.

I really hope the app store grows the way that Microsoft hopes! It will just make it easier for people to switch.

I'm waiting too. I hope the prices are fair, however I was reading last night that the rumoured prices for the dual sim Lumia 950 will be $738 USD (Probably will be a variant of the device that isn't dual sim) and the Lumia 950XL will be $838 USD. If this is the case and the 950 will be over $1000 CAD after tax. I wonder what kind of subsidy Rogers will have for it.

Continuum is an amazing idea. However I do not see myself using it in that capacity.

I myself am waiting for the announcement and the pricing. I'm getting a blackberry through work which complicates my wireless/device usage. I may just cancel and go with the blackberry depending on the user experience.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I would definaltely get another one! I have used an IOS device at work. 

Between the two I still prefer the Win phone, I am using an 920 and am anxiously waiting for the new 950 / 950 XL.  For me at least I find it does everything I need it to do.

Now if you are "heavily" invested in IOS / Android apps, then that may be an issue as the Windows Store has always lagged behind in apps.  Not sure if this will change as MS seems to have made it easier to port code between IOS / Android.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Microsoft better make everything better.
I want this thing to work. I want this thing to beat iPhone Hype... I am so Android+Windows Guy.

fjasdlkjf3wlr ahhhhhhhhh

What is continum? costant backups?

@ShakTiburon

Hopefully the Windows 10 integration goes a long way to shortening the app gap.

Unfortunately I don't think windows will beat the iPhone hype. All we can do is try to educate people that there are other options out there. Other problem is that microsoft/nokia/canadian carriers did nothing in the way of advertising when the first windows 8 phones were released. Hopefully after the windows 10 mobile devices are released we will see more in the way of advertising and marketting support.

Continuum is the ability to use your windows 10 mobile device as a PC. You connect your phone to a device that allows you to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to it and you have a windows 10 device acting as a portable PC.

@ph8

Windows phone 8.1 is still the most stable mobile OS I've used and my 920 is still running strong. There were leaks of the 950 950xl on windows central. I think I may just be going with the 950. However I'm waiting to see how much its going to cost and what the availability is like.

That is definitely a hurdle to any potential new users is the monetary value of the apps bought and put on any iOS or Android device. Hopefully Windows 10 helps with that and developers will port apps to the OS.