Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

So I'm going to upgrade my phone. I'm coming from a Note 3 but am considering a Note 5/6S or a 950. for people who have a Win phone, would you get another? Is Rogers good with their Win phone customers ( I think they're terrible with Android customers, btw)

Thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Re: Would you get a Windows 10 phone?

Hi @Alph,

Thank's for you post, I know you're more looking for feedback from people who have Windows phones, I'm afraid I don't have one. Smiley Sad But I wanted to let you know, there is a Windows Phone announcement thread posted over a month ago by one our resident experts @brandonjbarnard you might find interesting, if you haven't already checked it out click here. You'll find some interesting feedback with strong opinions coming from some very active smart phone users, some with Androids. I'm also pretty sure if @ShakTiburon and/or @Meowmix response to this new thread they would definitely be able to give you some really good opinions whether you should jump ship to give up your Android for the new Windows 10 phone.

Thanks,
RogersArthur

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hey @Alph@RogersArthur is right.
@brandonjbarnard and I (along with @Boardwalk) have been discussing the 950 already on one of the threads! So you might be interested to read it. [Here] (Page 5 and 6 mostly if you want to quick read)

I am on the last month for my Note 3.
I will be going for Note 5 soon. I skipped on my reservation to be honest because of somethings about note 5 that i didn't like.

Now do you mean 6S or S6?
6S is iPhone (new annoucement). Pre-order and Reservation started today (two different process; Pre-Order would be limited supply)

Let's have a fun discussion!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good Day @Alph

I'm definitely getting another windows phone. I've had my Lumia 920 since 2012 and I can't imagine going back to iOS or Android. Windows phones are just easy to use and the most stable OS I have ever used on a smartphone. As for Rogers support with windows phone I found it a bit lacking from the start. Most of my instore interactions with employees was met with a lot of inept ignorance. Even though Windows may not be a popular mobile platform, one would expect any Rogers employee to know a little about the product. It took ages for software updates to be released (ie Denim update). However with Windows 10 Mobile I have heard that Microsoft is adapting more of an Apple method and may start doing the updates themselves.

The rumour is that Microsoft is going to be releasing a Lumia 950 and 950XL model. A presentation is expected mid October to unveil the new devices with a release date probably around Black Friday (I'm assuming) If you read the other posts that @ShakTiburon and @Boardwalk were talking about, I predict that the 950 will be available through the carriers and the 950XL will be available for sale unlocked through the online Microsoft store. Only time will tell though.

I go to www.windowscentral.com on a daily basis and a great resource if you want to check out what is going on in the world of Microsoft/Windows products.

I'm also available and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Rogers Employee

^This guy right here. Amazes me.
Thank you Brandon I always appriciate your details about windows phones.

I truly lack knowledge as I never considered this powerful OS as competitive ... but man was I wrong.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that.

If MS can yank back control of the phone from Rogers like Apple has done, I would definately be more interested. My biggest concern is app support -- and I doubt it will get better any time soon.  Decisions, decisions.

Anytime!

I agree. It was so frustrating waiting for updates. Then I discovered the developers preview, and once I installed that I got all the updates over the air from Microsoft. Had the Denim update months before Rogers released it. I hope they continue to do that.

App support will be a barrier for a lot of people looking to switch which is understandable. We rely on these apps for a lot of things now, and why would or should you switch to a platform that isn't going to be supported? That being said, its important to understand what Microsoft is trying to achieve with Windows 10.

Microsoft is attempting to bring everything together in a unified operating system. PC, XBOX, Windows 10 Mobile, at its core will all have the same foundation. There won't be different operating systems for each of those platforms, its all unified. So in regards to the app gap.. no longer are developers making apps for a mobile market with only 3% of the share... they are making apps for everyone with a Windows 10 PC which at the moment has approx 75 million users. Not only that but Microsoft has been developing tools for developers so they don't have to re-write/code apps for Windows. Apparently the Windows Phone 8.1 version of Candy Crush used this tool as the game is the iOS version that was converted using that tool for Windows. I'm not saying the app gap is going to change over night but Microsoft is definitely giving developers all the tools and opportunites to be successful on Windows 10 and Win 10 Mobile.

Not only that but you have Continuum. Which will effectively convert your phone into a PC. So  you can dock your phone with a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

If you have a surface tablet running windows 10 you can stream your xbox one games and play them on your tablet. 

Windows "Hello" which is the biometric security technology that Microsoft is going to have on their PC and mobile devices which will do a scan of your eyes to unlock your device.

Microsofts assistant Cortana is awesome!

I'm sure there is more, just can't think of them right now 😄

Plus the rumoured specifications for the devices are amazing, and hopefully won't burn a hole in your wallet like the new iPhones will. $899 for a unlocked 16GB device!

Rogers Employee

Phones are worth more than Computer these days... seriously... the market needs to get a grip...
I want my Desktop to be more powerful than my phone. x__x
But currently I use my phone more than my PC. 😐 scary.

It's sad but true. I was floored but yet not surprised that a 16GB iPhone 6 starts at $899 CAD. Apple really sticking it to their customers with a 16GB phone without expandable memory capability. However people will line up in droves and hand over their money.

I think this is a great opportunity for Microsoft to be very competitive in the Mobile market. If they are able to price their new devices lower than iPhones (not hard lol) and the new Samsung Phablet they might win over consumers who are on the fence about switching. Just looked at the Galaxy Note 5 specs and they are quite impressive. However it has no extra card slot for expandable memory so you are stuck with either 16 or 32GB and the battery even though is 3000 mAh its non removable.

I'm the same. I'm really starting to re evaluate my PC - Xbox One options. Microsoft has a crazy deal on right now where you can get a Surface Pro 3 and a Xbox 1 for $1258. I've always been a PC gamer, but this is kinda best of both worlds.

Rogers Employee

Great Deal from Microsoft. Wow.

I wonder if Microsoft store has Financing option like Apple Store does. 😮

As for the beating the market. I think Microsoft has the potential, since they haven't played their cards yet but everyone else has.

Hopefully they play a royal flush lol

and 16GB $899 CAD is no good to me. Not even if 2yr contract makes it cheap. iPhone branding to me is not worth much. Functionality isn't there for me as much as android, I am just waiting for 950XL and play with it and grab that. Hopefully it works to my benefit.