Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

I think lack of timely updates is a huge deal breaker.  Updates contain security fixes, bug fixes, and new features for your phone.  Imagine if your ISP was blocking updates to your desktop computer or had undue control over that process?  It sounds absurd because it is.  Apple of course doesn't tolerate these kinds of shenanigans, but sadly Microsoft and Nokia are in a weak market position and are thus at the mercy of the carriers.  The carriers don't care about keeping your device supported, they see this as just throwing money away, a necessary evil.  But the truth of the matter is, and this goes for any IP enabled gadget: Any device that is connected to the public Internet should be kept up-to-date with the latest fixes as soon as possible.  Full stop.

From the available evidence I can only conclude that Rogers is being less responsive because this device is a whole year old.  Time for a new one, right?

I Plan to Stick Around

Most windwos phones in Canada have not recieved the GDR3 update yet for any carrier, the only phone that has it is the 1020 on rogers and telus, all others are still awaiting approval.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, Corman hopefully this week but Wednesday has come and gone and the week is running out.   I see from the web page that TELUS isn't ready yet either so this isn't just a Rogers thing.   

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Glen_B

I am starting to think its Nokia doing this if no other carrier in Canada has released it. It could be Nokia and the carriers delaying it or finishing it up
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree that they need to push the update out soon. AT&T has released it in the US and they are usually the ones that are far behind the pack. I wouldn't be supprised if they are just holding the update back just to get people to upgrade (including the upgrade fee) to the 1020

I've Been Here Awhile

@IanS

Quoting: Most windwos phones in Canada have not recieved the GDR3 update yet for any carrier, the only phone that has it is the 1020 on rogers and telus, all others are still awaiting approval.

Please check the availability for the 920 specifically.  It is widely deployed everywhere, including AT&T who are usually notorious for not deploying updates.  Now Rogers is gaining the notoriety instead 😞

I'm Here A Lot

Just an FYI. The Lumia 625 from Telus just went to "Coming soon", so I guess the rollouts are starting slowly on other phones.

Lets go Rogers. Update my 920 please 🙂

source: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

I've Been Here Awhile

920 is showing coming soon on Rogers page, thanks for the update Rogers 🙂

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/thread-id/355

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Nebulaeus

Glad to see Rogers changed it to "Coming Soon" hopefully within the next week days / weeks.
I Plan to Stick Around

It's curious that Rogers says it's coming soon but the Nokia site hasn't changed.   I don't know if that is a good thing or not; just curious.      

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats