Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Each Lumia "model" has it's own compilation. Some carriers share the same model while others have their own. For example, the ATT Lumia 920 could be different than the Rogers 920. Although it's called the Lumia 920, the actual model number varies from country to country and carrier to carrier. Each would have it's own version of the update from Nokia. There are literally hundreds of Lumia models available around the world.

It's not just one udpate we're talking about. There's the operating system update (Windows Phone 8 Update 3 aka GDR3). Then there's Lumia Black (aka Bittersweet Shimmer) from Nokia which is a mixture of firmware and software. And then there's the carrier firmware and software. Rogers not only has to test the Microsoft and Nokia updates, but they also have to test their own carrier firmware and software.

With all that said, there's still no reason why Rogers can't keep us updated on Lumia updates just like they do with Android updates. I feel as if Rogers is falling behind just like Bell when it comes to Windows Phone. It seems TELUS will be the Windows Phone carrier of choice in the near future.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Corman

We can all agree that Rogers is falling behind and not carrying about the Windows section. It seems from the start its been like this. They did have a few commercials and all saying they are the first in Canada to bring the Windows 8 and Windows devices BUY have failed hard on updating them and keeping them alive. Not many like Windows devices ( not everyone will like them or other OS s) but Rogers hasn't been doing a good job showing them off anyways. The Lumia 1020 for instance i haven't seen anything huge from Rogers to show it off.

Rogers needs to start thinking and release this update or Atleat add it on the forum section like the others.
I Plan to Stick Around

You not completely correct in what your saying,,I'm running a Noika 1520 unlocked from factory and i run all rogers app's no problem,,I don't need or want any bloatware from the carrier's,,In the future we will recieve updates directly from Microsoft as Apple does with there hardware,,The carrier's have way to much control over pushing out updates and with Windows 8.1 just around the corner things could get really dicey,,We all are loyal paying customers to big red and they seem to forget that,,May not be the most popular O/S in Canada yet,,Rogers needs to stands behind their commitment and step up the pace

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Micheal-r4

I am hoping Microsoft will go that path but only time will tell. I love Windows devices but they need to start giving us the update on time. Rogers has let the ball roll like i said above and doesn't seem to care anymore which upsets not only me but many others.

Rogers needs to open the eyes and start doing what is righ. Giving us the update on time without any problems or excuses. I know it takes time to test the update and release it and such (been in this business for years to know) but if other carriers are releasing it, so can Rogers.
I Plan to Stick Around

michael-r4, of course! Unlocked devices work fine on Rogers. But Rogers still has their own version of the update which they will tag on their own customizations. Carriers can send updates back to the originators and ask for changes as well.

Hopefully the update will be delivered this week.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Corman

Hopefully this week if not next week it shall come!
I Plan to Stick Around

all phones in Canada minus the 1020 on rogers and telus are still waiting for approval. You can check the status on Nokia website.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers has been the best carrier in the country for supporting Windows Phone, which is why I am currently a Rogers customer.  I was delighted that they were offering the Lumia 920, and then the 1020 which my wife is enjoying very much.   However, it has to be said that recent developments are troubling and I hope that Rogers can respond to some constructive criticism and do better.

The Lumia Black update for the various Lumia devices is now widely deployed around North America and Europe, but Rogers hasn't made a peep about when it is coming for Lumia 920 customers here in Canada.  Their OS updates page makes no mention of the device at all:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/thread-id/355

The @RogersHelps folks on Twitter are not providing any information about this either.  This is very frustrating.  Here is what it looks like from the outside:

"Supporting customers on older (1 year old) devices just bleeds money from us.  We want our victims customers to upgrade as often as possible.  The first few updates they can get right away, but after that let's make them wait.  Degrade the experience so they want the latest and greatest."

I really hope this is not the case.  In any event, I will be unlocking my 920 and taking my business elsewhere if Rogers doesn't do better on this front soon.  As a paying customer, I expect timely updates and I expect transparency about the process.  Anything less is not only aggravating, but considering updates contain important security fixes, it is even irresponsible.

Please fix this Rogers, its an easy win that can build good will with your customers.

I Plan to Stick Around

We our dependent on Rogers to push these updates out quickly as possible to their loyal paying customers,,As Rogers is depenent on all of us paying the bill,,Now wonder how they would feel about that,,They seem to be really dragging their butts on this update,,I feel like we our paying for a service and they are not delivering ,,,,Period

I Plan to Stick Around

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy or intentional disregard of human feelings here; yes, many of Rogers phones don’t get quick updates, I will even admit that the tech teams need to be more open about what’s in the pipe; but seriously, look at what’s going on in the market – frequency of Google/Apple/Windows/(BBRY not so much now) OS versions/upgrades grow exponentially, not to mention variations of different handsets that need to be tested

I guess my argument is – Nebulaeus – do you truly think that having the latest patch is a deal-breaker? again, my personal opinion, maybe instead of spending tons of money trying to catch up with the latest OS it’s ok to focus on other things, such as better coverage and more reliable service?