Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Hello alex_perry

Listen, we all have different opinions on how things are. I think & still put the blame towards Nokia Canada & the carreirs I do not really care what other carriers around the world do as i do not live in those countries / cities. I live in Canada & use Rogers. NOW Nokia Canada could have released a message to us saying the update is delayed OR will be released sometime soon. No they did not do that which results in a waiting game.  They can easily do that. Its not that hard. In my understanding & how i know the business here, they are doing this to make people wait for the 1520 Lumia. They did this with the 900 & 920 lumia

Telus is waiitng for the update from Nokia still as what their page says. SO i put the blame on Nokia Canada for the update being late / not giving any word. Like i said, Nokia Canada & the carriers are responsible for the updates. They are all to blame, not just one person.

We both have 2 different opinions so lets not clash here.

I'm Here A Lot

Allot of frustration in regards to GDR3. I will add myself to that list as well.

Rogers/Nokia are not the best at "communicating"..... and what is their business about ? I think some communication from them, would help, even if it's to tell us it's May, just tell us something.

However, I am in the software business and understand the complexity of putting out software releases. Accountig for the different devices, network stuff,  and everyone wanting to be the first, etc, I do not envy them. Easy for me to sit back, who just wants the next software release on my phone, and . . I do know one thing, and that is, when it comes the rollout better be smooth and glitch free, as we've been waiting a long time. Long tim,e I hope equates to a smooth and glitch free upgrade.

Anyway, I was on the Nokia discussion forum and found a post which said the following:

GDR3 release is expected to start in late January and complete within Q1 2014 - that means by March 31st. Carrier-branded handsets may have to wait longer.

GDR3 will be available for all WP8 handsets.   Posted from 93tid today.

Hope this helps shed some light. I don't know who 93tid is, however he posts allot on the Nokia support foum so I am assuming he/she knows what they are talking about.

I Plan to Stick Around

Seems as though we're not screwed guys.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/01/09/lumia-black-update/

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

My phone is downloading the update now. Global rollout was today, and Rogers released it. So, everyone owes Rogers an apology here. Me, from my high horse can say Thanks Rogers!

I Plan to Stick Around

Awesome! Downloading now too. Perfect timing - just as everyone was starting to get antsy about it 😛

I'm Here A Lot

I have two lumia's, a 920 (locked to rogers) and a 925 unlocked.

The unlocked 925  is processing the update as I type.

However, the locked 920 has not recognized there is an update yet. I've tried 5 times now to have it check for updates and it comes back saying my phone is up-to-date. Maybe, rogers has not released the update for the 920 yet.

I am just going to be patient and see if it recognizes the update is there on it's own.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you look at the link alex_perry posted 2 posts up from yours you'll see that Nokia is still waiting for Rogers' approval to push Black to the 920. Keep an eye there to stay updated.

I'm Here A Lot

Great, thanks for the link. Misunderstood the post.

I did find out why my 925 got the update from the link. It's a singaporecountry variant and they've released the update already.

Thanks again.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been watching that Nokia link for a while now and it hasn't changed much.   If you have the new Nokia 1020 you're good to go with Black.   For anything else, it been staying waiting for approval for a long time. This is not unique to Rogers as it's the same with TELUS.   Nokia and the media said January 2014 and we are just past half way through January.   I'll keep waiting with my 920 but I sure better not have to welcome Feburary without my Black update.   Not that there is a thing I can do about it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya I've been checking the Nokia page as well hoping for a status update....nothing yet.

Hopefully it won't take much longer. 

I had a 900 before I got the 920 and I must say, Rogers has been pretty darn good at bringing us all of the updates.  Not always as quickly as we might like but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Would be nice if we actually got some sort of update from Rogers/Nokia though just so we have an idea as to when we can expect the latest!

I've Been Here Awhile

When is the Lumia Black update for the Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone going to be made available on the Rogers network?

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats