Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

GDR3 due in November to late December World Wide

Features in GDR3 + Bittersweet shimmer that are now confirmed include:

• Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders
  • Restore over Wi-Fi when you reset your phone
  • Huge amount of work on Bluetooth with various vehicles and devices
  • Driving Mode
  • Screen rotation lock
  • 'X' to close out apps in multitasking
  • Icon for multitasking apps
  • General performance improvements
  • 1080P Display support (for new devices)
  • Support for new Qualcomm chipsets

***edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

With my Lumia 1020 on the way, this makes me even happier with my upcoming purchase!

I'm Here A Lot

The Nokia update is now called Lumia Black and will also include Glance Backgrounds, and allow for notifications on your Glance screen among other imporvements for the camera and under the hood fixes.

I've Been Around

Ok, AT&T now released this today for Lumia 1020 users, any idea when will Rogers make this update available for 1020 users too?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Meathooks

It can be a matter of days or weeks. It all depends on when Rogers gets it / tests it / adds its own bloat ware / test it and then release it.

No definit answer here.
I Plan to Stick Around

Any word on this release? Telus has it out already. Rogers is dropping the ball.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rradersma

Yea Rogers seems to be dropping the ball here. There isn't any word yet sadly
I Plan to Stick Around

There is no ball-dropping, so to speak. Telus does not have GDR3/Black as per their site. It does however state January. Only AT&T in the US has GDR3. It was an exclusive rollout.

Although Rogers doesn't seem to have any information on their site regarding firmware updates, Nokia has a support page as well as a discussion board where in the past Nokia has published a spreadsheet with dates for different carrier releases.

Rogers isn't pulling a fast on on anyone here, . anyone or delaying this release. Or at least every other carrier around the world is doing the same . their customers.

As an aside, think of this. If this were AT&T and we had the update, AT&T doesn't have data sense enabled. Not only no server-side data compression, but no data counter. NO DATA COUNTER. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello alex_perry

Its Nokia Canada & the carriers. They both make the decision on when the update gets released. Remember when a update goes to the carriers, the carriers will first have to test it, make sure it all works. If it does not, they will send the update back to the manufacture & they have to re fix it basically.

Its both Nokia Canada & Rogers to blame.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thats silly. Then you can also blame dozens of other carriers around the world. There's no blame to be placed, per se. I mean, compared to Apple, Apple releases firmware updates world-wide to every (compatible) Iphone at the same time. Microsoft does not. So, if you take issue to the way that Microsoft handles their way of releasing updates, fair enough. But jumping up on a soapbox proclaiming that Rogers and Nokia are . us? Not quite. 

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats