Windows Phone 8.1 - Developer preview

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Windows Phone 8.1 - Developer preview

Welp, I installed the dev preview on my HTC 8X expecting all the bells and whistles but lo and behold, Rogers has carrier locked the phone language to Canadian English or had US English left out of the ROM, so Microsofts Siri like assistant, Cortana, won't work since phone language needs to be US English Enababled. Considering thanks to Quebec we won't get the RTM release long after many countries (UK/China get it next.. go figure.) I'm bummed, as a dev, I enjoy tinkering with OS previews and have beta tested since windows 2000. Sighs, thanks for nothing Rogers. Next up, a new provider me thinks.

***Edited Labels.***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Windows Phone 8.1 - Developer preview

Before you switch carriers.. i would double check with the others.. as the others likely are locked much the same way normally.

I Plan to Stick Around

Nope not locked at all. I was able to switch to USA and have Cortana working without any problems, it's probably HTC the problem instead of Rogers. BTW I have a Lumia 920 if you're wondering.

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
I Plan to Stick Around

Joe Belfiore (the Windows Phone guy) replied on Reddit:

"Cortana in other countries: We’re definitely working to bring Cortana to other countries. She tells us she’d like to travel. We've already announced that when we launch V1 after Beta, we'll be in China and the UK as well as the US. We're also hoping to get other english-speaking countries (eg. Canada, Australia) out relatively quickly as well. The challenge in doing this is we want the Cortana experience to be EXCELLENT for everyone -– and this involves not ONLY delivering great voice recognition for all the different languages, but also making sure that we have a great regional experience with local content so she doesn’t feel like an American!"

So they are working to make Cortana compatible for Canadians in a not-too-distance future...

I Plan to Stick Around

worked perfrectly on the Lumia 520 i bought to play with. I set it to US english and Cortana is working wonderfully (other than the Nokia/Microsoft map data not being 100% awesome in the Hamilton area). So I'm guessing this is either a HTC or a Rogers limitation, as it sounds like all the Nokia handsets are fine.

Note: my 520 was bought as a "prepaid" phone but I put my contract SIM in it... again, don't know if that has anything to do with it working.

I Plan to Stick Around

runs fine on my nokia 925 and 1520 and on my ativ s.

I Plan to Stick Around

This isn't Rogers, HTC limited the regions in their phones, its their fault. If you have an HTC 8x, you cant change the region for the time being.

I'm a Senior Advisor

They aren't. Switched on my Bell Ativ S. As others have mentioned, its an HTC thing...,

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys,

How do you install WP 8.1 dev on Lumia 920? Can someone provide a link or something?

Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

WP8.1 hasn't been released on Rogers network yet. To have it you need to be a "developer". You can be a developer for free by signing up to Microsoft App Studio. Once you do you need to download the Developer Preview App on your phone. Link your account from the App Studio to the developer preview and voila the phone update will say you got a new update so download and enjoy 8.1. Something important to know... the update doesn't come with the Lumia Cyan update so there might be a performance issue or applications that won't work on your phone.

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.