Windows 10 mobile updates

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Windows 10 mobile updates

Some big news came out from Microsoft regarding Windows 10 updates. Apparently Microsoft has said that in the future they would be in control of Windows 10 smartphone updates instead of leaving it up to the carriers. Carriers will have some input but the control will be left to Microsoft.

That is great news if it is in fact the way Microsoft will be handling updates! I always found the update process through the carrier frustrating! Glad to hear this may be happening!

***Edited Labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Windows 10 mobile updates

Very interesting!

Seems to follow or mimic the "closed ecosystem" that Apple utilizes for their products and OS.

RogersDarrell

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Not a Fan of Apple personally because of the Brand Price Tag.

so YES!! a competition to Apple (since Samsung is... well samsung haha)

Closed Ecosystem has a lot of advantages. Microsoft is doing it right. THANK YOU. Oh so happy to hear this...

Windows phone better start getting proper developer support soon.

Definitely interesting! It was very frustrating to have to wait for updates, especially when you have to wait months for it! Luckily the Developers preview helped me get updates quicker.

Rogers Employee

You're telling me?
Samsung Lollipop update 5 months later. LOL

Oh, did i hear this correctly? You are a developer? hmmm hmm? SPILL YOUR SECRETS TO ME! lol

@ShakTiburon

I used to be a Apple user/fan. Then got bored with the tech. I've had my Lumia 920 since December of 2012 and I can't even think about going back to iOS.

Not a fan of Samsung tech, I don't find it reliable.

I think with Windows 10 mobile and the tools that Microsoft has made available to developers to port apps from iOS and Android that it will definitely make it easier and gain more support. The Candy Crush game on Windows Phone is the direct port of the iOS version apparently. So it can be done!

@ShakTiburon

Hahaha no, not a developer at all. However you can sign up to be one for free through Microsoft. Download a app through the store and developer unlock your phone. So you get all the updates over the air and don't have to wait for the carrier to do it. I had the Denim update months before it was released in Canada.

Rogers Employee

If developers use UNIITY then they can port to all platforms: BlackBerry, iOS, android, Windows... EVERYTHING! muahahaha

also, on side topic,
If anyone with Apple ever talked to be about their phone being superior to my Samsung Note series and they say "Apple is better than samsung..."
My response is always the same:

"If Samsung specializes in technology altogether and makes anything from kitchen applicances to phones to tv to washer and dryer... I am sure you can belive me when i say this; If my company makes Military Tanks for the 'Lulz'... Apple does not stand a chance going head to head with a company like samsung."

that usually stops the random fanboy dispute... usually... however I am actually not fixed on samsung as my only tech provider.
Samsung does make good tech though, their bloatware just needs to go.

@ShakTiburon

Apple users will always talk about how their devices are superier. However paying nearly $1000 for a phone doesn't make it better. I can get a Lumia 1520 that is a year older than the iPhone 6 plus and has equal too or better tech in it for $300-$400 cheaper. Let the Apple users pay more for their tech if it make them happy lol.

My mother in law has one of the Samsung Notes, and she loves it. My fiance has a S4 but they have both had lots of problems with them. I would never get a Samsung phone but that is just my personal preference, nor would I talk someone out of it if they really liked one.

I agree though, Apple doesn't stand a chance against Samsung in the long run. iPhones are only popular in North America because its the only demographic that can financially support the devices price tag.

Microsoft has signed agreements with Samsung so apparently there will be more Microsoft apps and services loaded onto Samsung Phones when they are shipped. Hopefully that cuts down on Samsung bloatware.