Windows 10 Mobile gets an end-of-life date

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Windows 10 Mobile gets an end-of-life date

See this article

This is so bizzare! Why does Microsoft keep on killing any hope for its own Window Phone??

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Worse its says that future updates may depend on the carrier !!, which in our case mean no updates ever. Article states : "Although Microsoft has previously said that Microsoft alone would distribute Windows 10 Mobile updates, with wireless carriers playing just a supporting role, the support document suggests otherwise. “The distribution of these incremental updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone, and installation will require that your phone have any prior update"

***Edited Labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Windows 10 Mobile gets an end-of-life date

@Mediaman

That's odd news indeed. Hmmm... @brandonjbarnard can you weigh in on this?

RogersDarrell

@Mediaman
I read that this morning as well.

Microsoft as much as I hate to admit it, can't compete in the mobile space as we know it today. No one knows/wants their mobile products in North America. However you can get all of the Microsoft services on either iOS or Android. Also Microsoft has been fiddling with Android. Remember when one of the Mobile builds of the OS allowed users to install Android apps on their Windows phone? Maybe in two years time we see Microsoft do what Blackberry did. Create a "Windows-Android" device. A device with all of their services on it, with access to Android Apps.

2nd option has to do with the much rumoured "Surface Phone." Apparently they are looking at Intel chips with x86 architecture to truly create a "PC in your pocket" If that is the case, the phone may be running a version of Windows 10 that is completely different than the mobile version and in two years time doesn't need a mobile version of the OS.

Things are changing. Microsoft is a billion dollar company. They know this. They completely re-wrote the tablet space/market with the surface tablet. I think now instead of creating just another smart phone that isn't going to sell they are trying to create the next step in mobile computing. Give everyone a new device they can't ignore.

Will be intersting to see how this all works out. Until then, I'm with Android for another 2 years and going to be saving my money so that I won't be caught unprepared when the next Windows Phone is released.

Anyone else have any thoughts/theory's?

Another article here

I was just about to buy a new windows phone as I do like it better than android, but this now puts the plan on hold, again. I suppose I can hold on to my dated HTC 8x win phone for longer still, and wait it out yet again.....or just permanently jump ship and never look back. 

Microsoft is really their own worst enemy. By the time they get it right, no one will be home to notice! 

I Plan to Stick Around

Get a grip everyone.

Those are just standard lifecyles for business planning. Mobile versions typically have shorter cycles than desktop. Many comments in the associated articles about the issue are pointing to the fact that Microsoft is a company that has traditionally provided very detailed lifecycle timing information to support business IT planning decisions.

For example, Windows 10 Pro has mainstream support until 2020, and then goes on to extended support for a few years. That doesn't mean Windows 10 Pro is heading to oblivion. All that means that is there will be another version designated as current with its own life cycle and start date.

What is different with Windows 10 is that it's a service that will be updated on an ongoing basis. The naming convention means it'll likely be called Windows 10, but with maybe something added to designated a new support cycle. Most computers will simply slide to the next support cycle with the automatic upgrades.

Hint: all those phones running Windows Phone 8.1-- they're getting the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile at no cost and therefore will be moved to the new support cycle.