Will Rogers Unlock My Lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Will Rogers Unlock My Lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers?

Hi

So I got a lumia 1020 through a Microsoft/Nokia Program that is locked to Rogers. I already am witha  provider and happy with them so I want to unlock, will Rogers unlock immeditlaty if I pay the $50? I consider my phone to be full in paid so I would think the answer is yes..........

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Will Rogers Unlock My Lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers?

Hello chobo2

Unfortunately no. You didn't buy the phone full price from Rogers. You got it threw the Microsoft / Nokia program which Rogers has no control of.

You will need to contact Rogers and have them add the IMEI number into your account and wait for 90 days to unlock it for $50. Rogers doesn't make up the unlocking time, the CRTC does which u can view on this website.

Maybe if you speak to a Rogers rep they may br able to but it may not happen
I'm Here A Lot

Sigh, this is so lame, I feel like my phone is being held hostage as my phone is 100% paid off with nothing that I owe and basically was bought on my behalf from Rogers through a Nokia program(ie that's why it is locked to Rogers).

I guess I need to call the CRTC and see what happens in a situation like this.

If Rogers was not so expensive maybe this would not be such a huge issue but $55 for 200mb data...................

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello chobo2

Call and talk to Rogers and see what they say. Explain you got the device that way and see. I don't think it will work but it's worth a try.
I Plan to Stick Around

I find that a lot of subscribers don't think things through before getting into a relationship with a carrier... just be more focused on understanding all terms and conditions, plan you next move in advance... otherwise you'll always pay more
I Plan to Stick Around

Why don't you just unlock it with a code you can purchase online?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure what exactly this Microsoft/Nokia program is about, but let's assume you are given this phone, for free, through this program, without any contractual obligations with Rogers (ie. you are not provided this phone subsidized as part a phone contract) .  Then legally this device is a "non-subsidized device" as per CRTC's Wireless Code [F(1)].  As such, you should be eligible for immediate unlock, other than paying for the unlocking fee to Rogers.  

Cost of the handset is non-material; what matters - in the context of the Wireless Code - is whether the device is "subsidized" or "unsubsidized".

If the Rogers rep refuses, then kindly refer to them regarding what I have said above.  If still no, file a complaint to CCTS.

I'm Here A Lot

I don't get what you mean. I did not want to get into a relationship with Rogers, I had a choice for the phone to be sent as Rogers or Telus but not unlocked. Since Telus could not tell me what model they stock I went with Rogers as it was more laid out on the site. I am not sure how I could plan anything out as I did not physically have the phone till a week ago.
I'm Here A Lot

First thing I did was online lockers but all have failed.
I'm Here A Lot

It's the DVLUP program,. Well I went to the store and showed them my packing slip and stuff and they understood I owned it and tried to get my phone unlocked but they had to call into the call center and the call center refused to do it. In some cases the call center people hung up on the Rogers sales rep(pretty sad when fellow employees hang up on each other if you ask me).

After an hour the nice person at the Rogers store gave up. Basically I have to have the phone on the network for 90 days just sitting there doing nothing, I don't have to put money on my account just has to sit there for this arbitrary time until they will unlock it.

Well that's what I thought, and maybe I did not get my point across but the CRTC told me since Microsoft locked the phone to Rogers and I did not pay Rogers thus I have to wait 90 days.