Who pushes Windows 10 updates to eligible phones bought from the Microsoft Canada store?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Who pushes Windows 10 updates to eligible phones bought from the Microsoft Canada store?

Traditionally OS upgrades had to come via the carrier, Rogers Canada in our case.

I was under the impression, that Windows 10 Mobile was going to be pushed by Microsoft directly... but perhaps that's only for the new phones that come with Windows 10 Mobile already installed.

So how does it work for the 640XL, which comes with 8.1 and the qualifier " Free Upgrade to Windows 10 when available" ? Just bought mine from the Microsoft Canada store.

When I posed the the question via Chat on the Microsoft Canada web site, ie does Rogers push it (even though they dont sell the phones) or does Miscorsoft push it, I was told:

According to the information we have here at microsoftstore.com it would still have to be done through the carrier ; if they are not supporting windows phones anymore then I would say no, you most likely wouldn't be able to get the
Windows 10 upgrade."

Is that really true??? or is it nonsense?  I was assuming that Rogers would still push Windows 10 even though they did not sell the phones.

According to the Microsoft Web site here ,  it says

"We're working to make Windows 10 available to eligible Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1 as an upgrade. If your Lumia is eligible for the upgrade, we'll let you know when it's ready." .... but of course it does not say "how".

Anyone know the truth?

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Who pushes Windows 10 updates to eligible phones bought from the Microsoft Canada store?

Hello @Mediaman,

I am looking into this for you and will provide an answer as soon as I am able to find one. In the meanwhile, if anyone in the Community has information for @Mediaman, please chime in. 

@Meowmix@lockdown2341

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Who pushes Windows 10 updates to eligible phones bought from the Microsoft Canada store?

Hi @Mediaman,

All Windows Phone software updates are released by Microsoft. If the device was initially released directly by Microsoft, then Microsoft will be providing the updates directly.

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Thanks for the info. I guess only time will tell, as the current info has each pointing to the other:

Rogers position: All Windows Phone software updates are released by Microsoft. If the device was initially released directly by Microsoft, then Microsoft will be providing the updates directly.

Microsoft position : " still have to be done through the carrier ; "

I dont really mind any delays in getting an update ; just want to ensure I eventually get the update somehow Smiley Happy 

Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

Just a friendly Note, I bought my 640XL when it was released and the upgrade to windows 10 is already available on microsoft's web site, you have to go there and manually register your phone through the windows store.

When i upgraded mine, i went to the MS web store, signed in with my hotmail email address and when looking through their 640xl posts, one of them has a link to download the software updater. Then while its hooked to my PC i downloaded the install and completed it.

One thing i was concerned about was the lag on the OS, I am running 8.1 and having no issues, with the Windows 10 update, there are alot of things that run and the interface itself lags a little, but if you can deal with a 1 sec delay on your apps opening and so forth, go for it.

I will post a link to the downloader area if its still there.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-windows-10-preview-windows-phone

just remember windows 10 on the smart phone isn't final yet. But if it has been released i was not notified from the Microsoft MCSE Tech Updates like i normally get.

Give it a shot, but backup before doing anything, and don't worry if you don't like it you can go back!

They put that as part of the testing process

Mike

@EhmTeeEhf, Thanks for the info. When you mention above that "the upgrade to windows 10 is already available on microsoft's web site, you have to go there and manually register your phone through the windows store" , I assume the upgrade you are referring to is the Windows 10 Preview. Correct?

If I want to wait for the final release, will it eventually come to me ( via "check updates" - which is set to automatic) or is there something i need to register for? I am in no rush, but eventually do want to get it once its available. I am assuming it will all be automatic.

PS. really loving the 640XL!

I'm Here A Lot

if the phone is brought from unlocked from Microsoft , then microsoft or the manufactory (which is Microsft too) is the one to push the OS.
And i think starts from Windows 10, all OS push would be from Microsoft directly not Carrier/manufactory any more. Only the firmware would from either manufactory or Carrier.

"It starts from Windows 10"..meaning the carrier is still involved. Thats consistent with reports like this wheret the carrier is doing the Windows 10 push:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/t-mobile-germany-begins-update-for-lumia-640-640-xl-more-to-windows-10-m...

Note it also says that : "Once the phones are updated, users should be able to get further updates directly from Microsoft,"

So, seem to me that my concerns are still valid, ie :

1) Rogers indeed does the first push (which might mean an endless wait, or never)

2) Only then does Microsoft do updates directly.

This might explain all the mixed messages to date on who does the Windows10 update.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman I wouldn't be too concerned where the initial update is coming from...

When Microsoft does release Windows 10 for mobile for your specific device, the update should be available from the "Windows Device Recovery Tool".

This software (available here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-device-recovery-tool-faq) will flash the latest publically released firmware from Microsoft to the device.

Please pay attention to my comment about "Publically Released". This software will not install preview or insider builds.

This tool connects to Microsoft's servers, and will flash (keep in mind it will erase the device) the latest firmware available from Microsoft. So don't stress too much if you're worried about any 3rd parties halting or delaying updates.

As long as you have all the backup's done on the device, if you do end up needing to use the tool, it should be a very straightforward and simple process.

I've read that with Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft is trying to remove the carriers involvements as much as possible in firmware updates. They've made an effort to seperate the actual OS from the cell layer as much as possible (cell firmware updates still will require some carrier involvement). Because of this, actual software updates for the OS of the device will be pushed more frequently since the cell layer can remain untouched.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the recovery link tool at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-device-recovery-tool-faq Might come in handy in a future emergency Smiley Happy

I dont think I'd want to risk a full reset/flash and hope my backup works, all to get an OS upgrade. It's one thing to do in a pinch (as in a lost phone, or corruption), but I am in no rush for Windows 10 mobile so I will let things unfold naturally, if and when the upgrade is pushed.

That said, good to know such a recovery tool exists.