When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

I love the fact that despite Google not supporting any Windows phones that Microsoft is making their services/applications on Android. Instead of collaborating, Google just looks like a petulant child.

There was a list floating around of what apps would/have been ported to windows, but I'm not sure if it encompassed both iOS and Android or one or the other. I believe the list was on www.wmpoweruser.com

I used to be a bit of a fan of Samsung myself. But after seeing how my fiancee's Galaxy has been acting over the past year and a half I'm not to sure about it. My Fiancee will never get another Samsung device after this experience.

I unfortunately cannot speak for Apples iCloud and whatever the Google one is called, as I've only ever used OneDrive. However I've got 130GB of space that I got for free. When I signed up I got 15GB, I got a camera roll bonus of 15GB and a BING bonus of 100GB until February 2017. I love it though because I have my phone set up so that all the photos I take download to my OneDrive whenever I'm on wifi. It downloads both photos and movies. Its great as well because I can access OneDrive from my personal PC, my Lumia 920, my Surface tablet and even at work if I'm logged into my outlook email account. If I need to look at a work document at home and I've saved it on onedrive, I can just pick up my phone,tablet or go on my pc and look at it. It works so well! I've never had any problems with it. It has never lost any information and I have access to a lot of my stuff wherever I go. My Lumia has a 32GB HD so it can fill up quite easily but with the photos and videos downloading automatically to my OneDrive, it definitely helps manage space because I can delete stuff knowing its saved on the OneDrive. Oh and Microsoft just recently enabled you to save music to your OneDrive and stream it from the cloud, which I think is cool. One more thing, I have 5 versions of my phone backed up on OneDrive. So if I need to do a factory reset (Which I did a lot when I was playing with Windows 10 Mobile) I can choose a backup of one of my phones that it saved and do a restore from that.

Here is the current plan offers for me on my OneDrive storage (priced monthly)

Office 365 +1TB of space - $10/month

100GB - $2

200Gb - $4

If you have any other questions let me know!

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Wow, that's some good information.

I knew about the multiple back ups (For my PC it didn't work too well, as I lost all settings and won't resync. Silly really.)

However, Office 365 apparently gives you unlimited storage, there is no need for monthly fee - according to multiple Microsoft reps at the Microsoft store. They stated as long as I have Office 365 (5 user version) each user with a microsoft account has their own Unlimited Storage. It will state "1 TB" but as soon as you reach it, it bumps up to 3GB and again if you reach 3GB it will bump to 5GB and so on and so forth.

I am going to check out that website, since I need more info.

Android: Google Drive
Microsoft: OneDrive (formly SkyDrive, as you know)
Apple: iCloud

Standalone (That I am aware of):
Box
DropBox
Amazon CloudDrive

I have Amazon Prime, so I get unlimited storage for photos. (Photos only)
I have Dropbox freebies, so I use it for documents only.
I want to consolidate everything, too many apps. too much headache. lol

I prefer Google Photos, anything at or below 16MP images are unlimited storage.
Since I am a google fan; minus their view against Microsoft. I think it has to do with the fact that Google see's microsoft as a strict company, where google is more like hippies. o__o creative. not the bad types lol

I will never use Bing, Bing has a bad taste in my mouth, I assume they have gotten better.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi ShakTib

I have used Office 365 for a couple of years now. There are a couple of plans.

365 Personnel - Unlimited OneDrive Storage - $69 Cdn per year

365 Home - This one gets a little complicated - $99 Cdn per year but.....

Office can be installed on up to five devices - PC - Tablet - Apple and can be shared amongst the people in your household. On top of this all five of these installs receive unlimited OneDrive storage. You can actually set up five different accounts for yourself if you wanted.

On top of this Microsoft supplies special offers every so often. With the Lumia 640 I received an email with a code for a free year of Office 365 home. So right now I am paying $99 for two years.

If you are seriously considering a Windows Phone you should consider OneDrive to go with it. Microsoft have improved a lot of features including streaming your music that you have uploaded to One Drive.

As Brandon noted, the fact that your phone automatically backs itself up to OneDrive is tremendous. When I get a new phone I can actually use the backup of an old phone to "kickstart" my new phone (app installation, start menu setup, personal settings, etc).

By the way my One Drive accounts all show 10TB of storage reagrdless of how much data is in them

Rogers Employee

@Boardwalk

Well I already use 365 Personal (came with my tablet) - However, I was milking the freebie while I still can... before end of quarter I will be upgrading to Home Edition so I get 5 users. for $99 annually (which is great value).

I already do use OneDrive actually. I just don't use it for everything. Not yet.
Microsoft and NSA are best friends apparently.
I Plan to Stick Around

From what I've read about the two new phones, they will have replaceable batteries.   Only time will tell if they use power as fast at the rest of the 900 series and the 1000 series.

Hey @Glen_B

I've read the same thing that both flagships will have removable batteries and microSD slots for expandable storage. However I have also been reading that the devices are going to have WQHD screens so only time will tell on how long those batteries are going to last.

Rogers Employee

Battery's that are swappable mean there might be thirdparty expandle battery covers. Hopefully.
I Plan to Stick Around

@brandonjbarnard wrote:

Hey @Glen_B

I've read the same thing that both flagships will have removable batteries and microSD slots for expandable storage. However I have also been reading that the devices are going to have WQHD screens so only time will tell on how long those batteries are going to last.

I didn't notice the screen type.  What is WQHD and if you know, what does the 920 have for a screen?

Hey @Glen_B

The WQHD screen is a super high res screen (apparently) I'm a little hazy on the details (coffee hasn't kicked in yet). I tried finding an article that I read online about it a while ago but no joy. But apparently its supposed to be around or over 2k super high def. However some people in the business said that having a screen that powerful is kinda useless as the eye can't actually see that resolution, its nice, but doesn't do much accept kill battery life. I could be wrong though. 

Here are the specs for our 920 courtesy of www.gsmarena.com

Type IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 4.5 inches (~62.5% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 768 x 1280 pixels (~332 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 2
  - PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display
Rogers Employee

I think higher pixel density if done right deters blur and provides crisp text and imagery but if done wrong, it gets more color blend and pixel 'cones' (don't know the word for it) ends up causing blur. either way motion is better regardless.

I think our eyes are amazing and will pick it up... but i am no scientist ... (my coffee wore off lol) ...
Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 38 Likes
  • 10 in conversation