When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

I agree. I go to the Microsoft store frequently because its at my local mall.

I use Google Maps (And I don't like any other map apps), HangOuts, Google Drive and Google Photos (Majoy bonus after the new revamped launch).

the Features Google Apps offer, are not the same as 3rd party apps. Which I have looked into, Maps is probably the closest 3rd party apps have come to w/ no street view (or proper one anyway).

Windows Phones are cheap $200-$400 not bad imo - However, even the high end flagships I don't mind paying for. As long as it does What I need.

I will definitely wait for Win10 mobile. Hoping Cortana is very active.

I wish we would leave the "touch" behind and go pure voice command in next decade (would be soooo sweet).
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wish there was a Microsoft store in Ottawa. However the online store is very good in my opinion. I read something yesterday saying that because Microsoft bought that phone division from Nokia that they can sell new phones any way they want and are not limited to the carriers. So would be nice to see all the new windows 10 devices for sale on website when they are available.

I use the Nokia HERE maps and GPS. works pretty well and integrated with Cortana (I think, haven't tried it yet)  I use Metrotube for youtube and it works well enough for me.

Windows phones are nice and cheap which is nice for sure. You can get a Lumia 640 XL on the microsoft store for $339 before tax. Or older flagships like the L930 or L1520 from Expansys.ca. Unfortunately if you want the google apps I dont' think it will do what you need it to do. Microsoft has made a lot of software including Cortana available on iOS and Android but I don't think Google has been as accomodating.

I hope with Win10 mobile release that we don't have to switch our regional/language/speech settings to U.S. for a version of Cortana. Microsoft did promise Cortana would be coming to Canadian market soon though, and when that happens I'll probably make the switch to Windows 10. I'm kinda waiting as well for a more solid Windows 10 mobile to be released before I upgrade both devices.

Rogers Employee

Great insight @brandonjbarnard
I definitely would wait for Win 10 to be more solid.
and did I read that correctly? Cortana is available on iOS and Android? whaaat? O_o

I can get used to not using google maps (though everything is "starred" for me... but that's okay)

$339 full price is not that bad. Given that Note 5 is $359 on 2yr term. (The contracts don't scare me)

*Crosses finger* hope Canadian market isn't left behind.
I am also hoping for HoloLens. Do you know details about HoloLens? is anyone looking forward to that gorgeous piece of VR?

*points at self* I'm a big fan of anything VR. Just don't have the funds to go buying everything lol

Thanks @ShakTiburon

Yes Cortana is available on iOS and Android. However I don't know about availability in Canada. I know for a fact that Cortana is only available on Android in the U.S. Market. Not sure about iOS. I also don't know if you change your phones regional setting if you can get around that and download it.

I enjoy the map app on my windows phone. I've got addresses programmed into Cortana so I can get reminders when i arrive or depart those locations. I think I can also ask Cortana to give me directions to those locations and she will bring up the Map/GPS app. However I haven't tried that yet.

Contracts don't scare me either. Been with Rogers off and on for 8 years. Only with them to be honest because they were the only ones to release the Lumia 920 when it came out. $339 is an awesome price. Considering as well that the phone is ready for windows mobile 10 when it gets released in a few months.

I really hope both the "Talkman" and "Cityman" flagships are both available from Rogers when they are released.  However what I think may happen is that the Lumia 950 and Lumia 640 will be available through the carriers, and if you want the XL versions of those devices you have to buy them unlocked directly from Microsoft. At the moment on microsoftstore.ca you can purchase the Lumia 640XL but not the Lumia 640.

From what I read on Hololens, is that it will at first only be available to business and corporations, and then eventually become available to consumers. I think I've read somewhere as well that they want to integrate hololens  with Xbox.

Rogers Employee

They claimed Hololens will be priced "reasonably" I forget if they said under $500 or under $300. Eitherway it wasn't and shouldn't hit $1000 mark (hopefully). I want to get it. Oculus is no where to be found currently in the market (for consumer use).

I do the directions thing with google maps as well. So that is pretty similar, so glad to hear that feature is still there.

I think it's just me, but I really wished google came out with their own character. I wish that character was GladOS (if anyone knows Portal?)

Anywho... We shall wait and see what comes up, and hopefully it's good news. These manufacture are having a war of their own against each other, and they kind of forget CONSUMERS are important piece of it.
I have been shaking my head so much from all of the new changes I feel I am going to need a neck brace soon.
Windows 10 is a hope of light right now for me. As Android isn't pleasing me these days (But Love the Google Ecosystem - which is holding me back)

Hey @ShakTiburon

I honestly can't remember a price for Hololens, Ithink its really neat, but don't want it to become another Xbox Kinect.

Wierd that Google did not come out with their own character as an assistant. With their marketshare though I don't think they really need to.

Yeah I'm waiting patiently to see what happens with windows 10 devices. Probably won't be another 6-8 weeks before we hear anything from Microsoft, and then it will probably be another month before we are able to get the device. Just hope my Lumia 920 lasts that long. Who knows, may just wait to see what happens with that Surface phone that is rumoured to be released in spring 2016.

Whats Android doing that is not pleasing?

Rogers Employee

Hey @brandonjbarnard

More so what SAMSUNG is doing. Smiley Indifferent
Since I actually like Samsung, I preferred it - but with them essentially killed Note Series in my eyes, I have to make a judgment call to see if I go for Note 5 or Windows/iPhone/another Android.

Issue with another Android, I have to sign up for their bloatware and give them my email address and more fun advertisment, learn their hub (HTC, LG, Sony ... whoever)...

Microsoft already has my email - Its a Microsoft account, so Windows Phone works.
I also already have Apple ID (for an iPod I never ended up using)...

Google really doesn't need their own character. but if you know GLadOS then you know WHY she/it will be perfect for it.

(to the pont that Pacific Rim used the voice actor to be in their Trailer)
Iconic voice.

Well I'm going to probably get a Windows 10 phone anyway.
Just because I want to have that as OS as well.
I am not leaning towards apple as much because there phone is too hipster for me.

What Windows Phone has the most features? Like Actual Features? or are they all similar? I went to microsoft store and the rep was kind of just doing "umm" alot and reading the specs. Didn't feel much confidence in the answers I got.
I'll try speaking to some one else at the store on my day off to see what the recommend.

Smiley Happy How is your Lumia 920? What was your reason to chose that over... android or iPhone... (or even blackberry)?

Hey @ShakTiburon

Samsung for me is pretty hit or miss. My Fiance has had a lot of issues with her S4 and after this phone will not go be getting another one.

The bloatware on Android is terrible. I had a HTC Desire HD and they had their own HTC Sense garbage on there that never worked.

I love how all the microsoft services integrates into my phone. My One Cloud, Xbox Live, email, office etc. Also impressed how easy it was for me to put music on my device and it all be in order with album covers. Where as I used to spend hours on iTunes fixing file names and looking for record covers.

I don't think you can go wrong with a windows 10 phone. But I'm a biased fanboy Smiley Very Happy I had iPhones for years but got bored with them. Plus they are really expensive.

Well its kinda hard right now to talk about differential features as Windows 10 phones are coming out and Microsoft is really trying hard to reign in the amount of devices out there. Plus the latest flagship is the Lumia 1520 which was released in 2013. Nokia had a lot of different phones for different price points.  In regards to purely windows 8 flagships it started with the Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 1020 (40 Megapixel camera) Lumia 930 and then the Lumia 1520 which as I'm sure you know is the Phablet version. In regards to specs the Lumia 1520 is probably your best bet. Decent processor, 3GB of RAM, 32 GB storage, huge 3300 mAh battery and HD screen.

I'd really wait until the new phones are released. If you can't wait and your phone is dying I would look at a Lumia 1520 or a Lumia 930. Those are the most recent flagship models.

My Lumia 920 is hanging in there! Still going strong for a phone I bought in 2012. I chose Windows and the Lumia 920 because I had iPhones and was becoming underwhelmed with the phone and the OS. It was boring, and I wanted something different. I had a Android device for 3 months but got fed up and switched back to Apple. But I saw a windows phone in a Rogers store (Believe it was the Lumia 900 running windows 7) and I was captivated by it. Live tiles, totally customizable start screen, phone looked amazing too! So I started researching and watching the presentations on the phone. When it was released and I heard it was only going to be at Rogers I got rid of my iPhone and swtiched from Telus.

To be honest I can't imagine going back to Android or Apple. Really enjoying the windows mobile experience. My phone is going on 3 years old, and even though the battery life is not the greatest, it still operates without any issue, and the screen even though has a few war wounds still looks amazing, its probably the best quality build phone I've ever owned. 

Rogers Employee

o___o thanks for an amazing review.
You got my interest peaked for Windows Phone.
I might as well try it.
Some features I will miss though, NFC is a big deal to me. The lack of app support that I hear better change for Windows.

My phone is alive and well, so I will wait for Windows 10 launch.
As I know the Live Tiles is a Windows 8 thing, I wonder if Windows 10 will keep the Live Tiles active.
o__o I can't believe we make our choices on User Interface (UI) more so than anything else. haha.

You are very welcome Smiley Very Happy

I agree. I have NFC support on my phone but there isn't any apps that I can use for it. Would be nice to put coffee cards and stuff on my phone but no support there. Hope it changes with windows 10 though.

I hope they keep the live tiles active as well, they did on some of the windows 10 builds I had on my L920. Without active live tiles though the OS would be a lot more boring. However I think the developers tool that Microsoft released that allows developers to port their apps it actually helps create a tile/live tile functionality in the app so it will work for windows 10.

Its true, but the UI makes such a difference because its how we interact with the device and the apps. If I don't like how my start menu looks or functions on my Lumia I can redo it.