When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

@Boardwalk

Nice.

Almost all of Europe buys phone outright, there is no subsidy there (or not much anyway).
USA is starting to do this as well.
I assume we will soon follow the trend, however that depends on our dreadful canadian market.

I stopped being a phone-gamer and am switching back to console and pc gaming. so the game's aren't my concern but the Photo/Video apps and Productivity apps (beyong office) is what I feel the app shortage needs to be focused at.

Personal experience in any device = Win.
So most companies focus on that, with sometimes false impression of what customers want (I.e Apple and Samsung currently).
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you regarding the number of users on Windows Phone affecting App Developers choices. This hopefully will change with Windows 10 and the "universal apps". The same app can run on the phone, tablet and PC. Already there are 75 million people using WIndows 10 after 4 weeks of being released.

Don't worry about the photo/video apps. Lumia phones generally have exceptional cameras. To support these there are numerous Lumia photo / video apps that are quite excellent.

As far as productivity apps go, I don't know what you would need. I have not found my productivity lacking due to apps not being available. I will admit though that I do not and will not use Google services. But, that is my own personal choice. If I did use Google services I would have to make choices as Google refuse to support Windows Phone. Google do not supply an official You Tube app for Windows Phone. They went as far as ordering MS to take down the MS You Tube App. Having said that though there are some excellent third party apps for You Tube.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hey @Boardwalk

It will be great if we are not beholden to the carriers for the windows 10 devices. It was absolutely frustrating to see great devices and not be able to get them through the carrier as I didn't have funding for a device outright.

I too have looked into a different carrier I'm paying almost $200 for 2 phones at the moment and I don't know how much longer I will be able to sustain that cost. The ability to move carriers though is a great benefit to have if you find one that works well enough for you.

There are good 3rd party apps for windows phone. I use a bunch of the Rudy Huyn's apps and they work a lot better than the official ones. Also there are apps that I had to pay for on iOS but were free on windows phone (not sure how that worked out) I'm a XBox gamer so its nice to have xbox games that add to my gamer score and achievements.

That is really the only way I will change from Windows Phone as well. I really enjoy the user experience over every other operating system out there. I can see Microsoft developing the tech for a few more years and then eventually possibly let OEM's pick up the torch and making the devices.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

yeah according to a article I read on a windows site in the new year. Kinda hard to blame developers with a small userbase. Hopefully you make them eat their words. Don't understand why developers wouldn't want their apps to reach more users.

Here is an article I found about QHD screens. I'm sure it can explain it better than I can lol
http://www.dailytech.com/Huawei+Boss+Explains+the+Nonsense+of+QHD+Screens+on+Smartphones+/article348...

oh the swipe texting on my phone is amazing. I don't think I have typed out a single message since I got that feature on my phone.

Rogers Employee

@Boardwalk
What's Google's issue with Microsoft? Fight in the playground during Recess? jeez.

Yea, for my personal life - Productivity app is meant for few things that wouldn't hinder me if its missing.

Photo/Video apps that I speak of are editors. Not "Filter and make pretty" types. I mean actual editors like mobile premiere with out adobe price tag.
Quite a few selection for Android on my Note 3.

Wishing something is similar.
If I go windows, I will still be using Google services on my PC and sync it with my outlook, so not an issue.

@brandonjbarnard
I am not one to jump carriers for few hiccups in the network or what not.
(Not saying that as a Rogers Employee, I always speak as a consumer...)

I have had Rogers services because of the work in technology, I am aware not everyone may feel that way but - My experience with rogers services is great.
Have I gotten no-data or LTE drop on my phone? Yes. Bad signal sometimes? Sure.
Failure of messages sent or other issues? Yes.
All in all, ends up my devices had issues, hiccups, or software related (I customize things a little too much that it break sometimes... hehe whoops)... I believe technology is MEANT to fail.
Regardless how hopeful we are, man-made product is not immortal nor is it ever perfect... (Perfection means it is the absolute best. And when did our phones become the "Absolute" best? we always have new network and new devices every year or two or so...)
Anyways, not trying to be religious about it. As we are a diverse country with many believes but the ground up statement is the same, man made product is meant to fail - we just hope that it doesn't on us. lol

So as for your Xbox game comment, are they like mini games on the side to add to your achievements? (I lost my gamer ID with the whole Microsoft Account Fiasca and pretty upset that I had to create a new one 😞 boo)

NO. PLEASE NO. No OEM should touch it. (in reference to other Manufacture making Windows phone)
One thing I TRULY like about APPLE (even though I despise their failing integrity) is that they are the manufacture of the Device/Hardware AND the OS (iOS) which makes it work hand-in-hand and all support is in-house apple.

With Samsung for example: Android issues are blamed at google. UI issue is fixed by "resets" and anything else, they either don't support or refer to service center and/or the carrier.

Not that I have much issues with samsung phones but when I do its... fun... very fun. x___x

So if Microsoft keeps their home brand Nokia intact (which I actually think the contracted ended right?) I think it would be a good step to move forward.

Dedicated Hardware/Software; THAT any OEM including Microsoft should copy from Apple. (Hardware and Software dedicated for eachother rather than "installed and patched")
Manufacture should copy/work on that, not the Device itself like Samsung is doing lol (Uniform body / loosing functional features, Samsung Pay... lulwut?)

Rogers Employee

-- Some one needs to show me how to use swipe. I type and I turn off autocorrect so I don't forget how to type proper english (which is still failing) lol

Thanks for the link, I'll read up on it 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

The Lumia name is owned by Microsoft. They bought it a year or two ago. If fact the 640 is actually branded as Microsoft no Lumia. My experience is that the Lumia's are the best Windows Phone experience. The same reason you sighted with Apple. The new flagships are reported to have the new "Hello" feature. The camera will recognise you for siging in. Hopefully it will work amazingly (fingers crossed).

The Lumia apps include photo / app editors. I have the following on my phone:

Lumia Camera

Lumia Cinemagraph (editor)

Lumia Creative Studio (editor)

Lumia Living Images (editor)

Lumia Moments (editor)

Lumia Panaorama

Lumis Refocus (editor)

Lumia Selfie

Lumia Storyteller (editor)

Lumia Video Trimmer

Adobe Photoshop Express is also available as a free download.

Rogers Employee

@Boardwalk
Hey wow thanks for the list.
I probably am going into Microsoft Store to check out those features.

I will probably want to get some time to learn it.
I just upgraded my silly tablet to Windows 10. I have no idea what I am doing (My PC is still Windows 8.1 and I really like 8.1, never saw an issue with it)
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with the update to Windows 10, I too enjoyed Windows 8.1

I have upgraded a desktop, a laptop (with touch screen) and a tablet and must admit I think it is an improvement for the desktop and the laptop.

However, for the tablet I think Windows 8.1 was superior. The side swipes on the tablet worked so well.

Rogers Employee

Okay. So that's why I don't like Windows 10.
I only updated the Tablet. and I am asking myself "WHERE IS MY DESKTOP?!".
apparently in tablet mode, the start menu stays open for the whole time as there is no Desktop. x__x