When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Reason I loved Android, was customer screen....
Widgets... Background... etc...
It still is a toy, functionality is just a bonus that I have become accustom to.

iOS is the least customizable bar of plastic out there. Just Icons. We all have Icons... but jeeeez... lol
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I got into Android because I was interested in the look and the concept of the widgets. After 3 months however I got frustrated with the user experience, widgets never seemed to update properly, was getting spam texts and virus alerts and was done. Don't think I will ever go back.

yeah iOS is lame. May have tons of apps but I like to tease friends about their baby toys lol.

Rogers Employee

O___o
Dude, what were you doing on your android to get virus alerts and spam text? LOL
I haven't had that for 4+ years of using android.

lol baby toys, Since I have a note 3, I always take my friend's iPhone and it fits INSIDE my screen. I smile and give them back and say "Here is your fisher price toy back" 😄
Always love the face they make after! Muahahaha

Take that phablet haters! Wooo!

So Windows has a Phablet class too. Which is probably what I would go for, since I need bigger screen.

But I hope the power is there too.
-- Do you remember, Samsung Mega? I don't want a Samsung Mega equivalent. That thing was bigger than note series but the power was 1/5 of what Note could do. 😐
(Cheaper too, but what's the point?)

Hahaha using it normally! My fiancee was having the same issue at the time with her phone as well. She is still with Android though. She hates Apple and not a fan of the Windows phone start screen.

Haha thats funny! Great minds think alike 😄

At the end of the day you are stuck with a device for a couple of years so you might as well get something you like. Just bothers me when people are rudely ignorant over the device choice I made. I usually try to take the opportunity to show them all the cool stuff my phone does, and that after almost 3 years it still works well as the day I got it even with all the updates.

Yeah the Lumia 1520 was the phablet beast that was released, however it was never released by the carriers here. Which is too bad because from all the reviews people said it was awesome. Testimonials said they could use their L1520's as a daily driver with heavy usage for almost 3 days and still have lots of battery power left. I almost got one myself but decided to wait to see what devices are released with windows 10 mobile.

The Lumia 950XL is the rumored windows 10 mobile phablet sized flagship with a 3300 mAh battery. Rumours also say it will support that quick charge function and a Snapdragon 810 Processor.

I do not remember the Samsung Mega. But if there is no power to support that big of a phone, there really is no point.

Rogers Employee

Samsung Mega is not worth remembering 😉

950XL sounds like a ideal phone for me. I am still considering Note 5 to stick with the note series, we'll see how things work out 🙂

and yes, great minds do think alike haha.

So when you show people who the phone really is and what cool feature it has, what do they say? do they brush it off with bias statements or actually find it interesting?

A lot of people see Windows Phone as a downgrade (I did for a while but Not anymore - I was bias to Android)

I'm leaning towards the 950XL myself. Depends on carrier availability and how much it costs if I have to buy it unlocked.

To be honest a lot of people think that windows phone sucks. they do exactly that, just brush it off with bias statements.  Wont give it the time of day or just dismisses it all together.  That's their problem though haha. I know how good it is. I was always trying different devices and operating systems, but now that I have used windows I can't see myself going back to anything else.  I have had some positive discussions with some people though about windows phones and what hopefully may happen with windows 10 and windows 10 mobile bridging app gap, new flagship devices, contiuum, microsoft suites like office integration, one cloud, and of course Cortana.

I think a lot of people think that windows is a downgrade, and I'm hoping with windows 10 mobile, new flagships and positive advertising through microsoft it helps change that perception.

Rogers Employee

First Priority: I want App support.
Second Priority: I want Live Cortana (Active listening) - My gf doesn't give me enough attention and has selective listening feature built into her... sad really, no OS upgrade on her. (I'm clearly joking - Real reason is Google Voice / Google Now is lame - no personification)
Third Priority: One Cloud Inegration
Fourth Priority: Phone has a Screen that comes somewhat close to Samsung Top of the Industry Super AMOLED Display (which iPhone doesn't even beat, regardless of who iPhone fan boys say)...

Edit:

Oops I hit 'Post'.

I am hoping the full price cost of it is < 600$$ because I'll buy it straight out unlocked. Since Microsoft does unlocked phones at their store, hoping this will be available in Canada, that's all. That and HoloLens. That = win.

I really hope there is more app support with windows 10. Honestly it is frustrating seeing people playing games or using apps that you can't use because they don't support windows phone.

There is active listening right now for Cortana with the most recent Lumia flagships, and I think it will continue with windows 10 flagships.

One cloud is definitely integrated with windows 10.

As for the screen, I was just reading that the new flagships are going to be packing Quad High Def screens which are "2K" screens. So I'm definitely interested in seeing what that looks like.

I too hope that the price is affordable enough for me to buy something unlocked OR hoping that Rogers carries both devices and just subsidize the one I want. I can't see it not being in Canada, but you never know. I remember reading somewhere that there are only approx 500,000 windows phone users in Canada.

I Plan to Stick Around

Being a Windows Phone fan from the original Samsung Focus I have been following your conversation with interest.

Since that original phone I have owned and used the Focus S, 520, 635, 640 (current work phone), 830, 920 and 1020. All have had their benefits. I currently carry the 640 as my work phone, the 830 as my personal phone and the 635 as my Zune (ipod).

I agree with you completely that Microsoft need to keep the upcoming flagship phones at a reasonable cost. From what I have read and heard we will not be beholden to the carriers with these phones. It is expected that Microsoft will be selling them directly to the consumer...unlocked. It is also believe that will have upgraded radio antennaes in them to use LTE on any GSM network.

I've become a firm believer in buying the phone outright. It gives me the ability to move to different carriers as prices improve. My 830 was with Rogers, but is now with a different carrier at half the price with far more. I will be saving around $800 a year. More than enough to buy a phone.....or two. Once again though, Microsoft need to keep these new flagships at a reasonable price.

I agree with the app shortage to a certain degree. There are however, in most cases, an app that will work quite nicely. There are even apps that I have available that my friends don't. As far as games go, using a Windows Phone gives you access to all of the Xbox games. Although for me a few basic word games are all I ever really play on my phone.

The only way I will change from Windows Phone is if Microsoft stop offering the OS. The live tiles, the ability to create a unique experience with the start menu, the intergration with Microsoft servcies all add up to a very personal experience.

Rogers Employee

500K users? O_o
That doesn't seem pleasing for developers to make apps.

I have met some developers in my field (programming) who are PRO Apple. And said will never port theirs apps to "third world" platform... o__o pretty harsh. Given that Microsoft isn't "Third world" hehe... I am gonna make them swallow their words!
^__^

Other thing I was focusing on was Sony Phones, yes they are android, but Playstation link.

but if I go Windows Phone, Xbox link. so bonus on either way.

It is a hard moment in life to give up my Note Saga. But slowly I am getting ready.

(Random Note: I don't like Master chief or Halo... it's not my thing)

Edit: "2K" screens or what not... means nothing, As long as the pixel density is decent, and I can watch 1080i (or 1080p) I am happy.

The rest is text and I can fumble with that without complaints.