When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: When are we getting a Windows 10 phone from Rogers?

I might have a solution for your missing desk top on Windows 10.

1. Go to "settings"

2. Go to "Personalization"

3. Go to "Start"

4. Toggle off "Use Start Full Screen"

I found that turning this off and then pressing "tablet mode" my desktop is there

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Oooo I did "Advance set up" rather and express and it never gave me the option.

I assume it due to the fact that my tablet is a straight up tablet. and it auto detected that.

Thanks @Boardwalk
🙂 🙂 🙂
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@ShakTiburon

I'm not one to jump carriers either, I'm happy with my Rogers services, its more the cost that may be an issue at some point in the future.

As for the Xbox games, they are stand alone Xbox games for your phone. I have 2 stand alone Halo games on my phone that are obviously Xbox, Tiny Troopers and Tiny Troopers 2. All those games have their own achievements and will improve my gamer score. Ugh that sucks about losing your gamerID 😞

Although I do agree with your point about Microsoft being the manufacturer of the device/hardware and OS, I also interested to see what companies like  like Sony, HTC, and Samsung throwing their hat in the ring to see what they can do with windows 10. I was kinda mad when the HTC ONE M8 for Windows wasn't available in Canada. However I do know there were issues with non lumia phones not getting updates or fixes because carriers/OEM's didn't issue updates for those devices.

As far as the naming, I think all the devices are Microsoft branded and Nokia can start making phones again in 2016.

Rogers Employee

Let's just hope for Flagship phones to come out.
It's not about competition right now for Windows.
It's about catching up to them and surviving the pit falls created by Android and iPhones.

If users start moving towards Windows, great.
One of the biggest and Easiest way to get users using your product, make it cross-platform. Make it able to handle all apps.
And Microsoft is trying to do that, get developers to make apps for their product.

Developers are .... sometimes silly to me.  (refusing to be cross-platform)
I would gladly make apps for iPhone, Android and Windows... infact even for Blackberry.
Why?
Because I would be considered a premium cross-platform developer. So the users of my app would get my app out of security that they will never lose the app if they switch brands.

That's what alot of current users feel as iPhone owners. The phone cages them to Apple Ecosystem. Not going to get cuffed by their mass-control strategy. ha.

Oh there will be flagships! I think it will just depend on what the carriers will offer vs microsoft store. Like I mentioned before I think we will see the 950 offered by carriers and the XL offered unlocked by Microsoft. Only time will tell though 😄

I think Microsoft is going a different route in regards to how they are catching up to Android and iPhones. Before with Windows Phone 8 it was about market share and apps etc. Now it isn't about that. For Microsoft its seems they are focusing on services for all mobile operating systems.  Not only that but they are really trying to turn our mobile devices into mini computers with Contiuum. I really feel like they are starting to change the game when it comes to mobile computing. Like you said the biggest and easiet way to get people to use your product is making it cross platform.

If I had the know-how I'd make apps for all platforms too. Just seems dumb to have that attitude, but what do I know.

Rogers Employee

Hey @brandonjbarnard

What do you know? A LOT! lol

I am excited and waiting for it, hoping that the price point will be low. well, Lower than Android/iPhone.

so I can buy it out right.

But then again, I will spend more if it gives more. (functionality, camera 14+MP, etc etc)

I was just stung by cool-ness...

I was stepping away from Android (Samsung) - but then I saw their Gear S2 -__-" Now I want that so badly.

Only works with 'select' androids. (Samsung and Other brands).

Wish it worked with Windows - I don't know why it wouldn't, but meh.

Note 5 is something I want, but I either have to go Cloud service or wait for a expanded internal memory (32GB for OS, APPS & Media - just isn't enough IMO)

Really hoping htis 950 you speak of is - something considering without doubts.

Are specs out for it already? I didn't look it up - or just rumours thus far?

Hey @ShakTiburon

Thanks 😄

Hard to say at this point about the pricing. They are flagship devices so I think they will not be as expensive as iPhones (always most expensive) but maybe be in the same ball park as the Galaxy S6 line. The price will help convince people or deter them from upgrading or even switching all together.

As for the Gear S2, is that a smartwatch? I hope Microsoft will make the band available here in Canada after the presentation in October.

As for the RUMOURED specs for the 950 and 950XL this is what I'm able to find...

Talkman (Lumia 950)

• Matte White or black polycarbonate body
  • 5.2 inch WQHD (1440x2560) OLED display
  • Snapdragon 808, 64-bit Hexa core
  • Iris scanner (infrared) for Windows Hello
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
  • 20MP PureView rear camera
  • 5MP Wide-angle front facing camera
  • 3000 mAh removable battery
  • Qi wireless charging with flip cover
  • USB Type-C

Cityman (Lumia 950 XL)

• Matte White or black polycarbonate body
  • 5.7 inch WQHD (1440x2560) OLED display
  • Snapdragon 810, 64-bit Octa core
  • Iris scanner (infrared) for Windows Hello
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
  • 20MP PureView rear camera with triple LED flash
  • 1mm silver ring inside the circumference of the black camera pod
  • Aluminum side buttons
  • 5MP Wide-angle front facing camera
  • 3300 mAh removable battery
  • Qi wireless charging integrated
  • USB Type-C

As you can see from the specs both devices will have removable batteries and expandable storage.

Here is a link to supposed photos of the new flagships

http://www.windowscentral.com/rumor-claims-microsofts-cityman-and-talkman-phones-will-have-lumia-950...

Rogers Employee

Qi Wireless charging? DUDE. You got my attention. Since that is something I do want (Note 5 has it too) but 20MP is ... o__o wow
What is Infrared for? that's not same as IR blaster right? 😮 + USB-type C sounds interesting.
5MP front facing is great, but WIDE Angle?! NICE!

What do you mea by camera pod? that line I didn't understand...

950XL will be my choice. I always like the bigger screen.

by the way, watched the Apple Annoucement Video yet? IPad Pro? O_o 4 speakers. People need to start doing 4 speakers. lol

Gear S2 is a smart watch but also a phone (comes with sim card), it samsung, all gear series before S2 was able to connect to Samsung only. But Gear S2 work with other androids too.

I don't know why companies limit their product. Cross platform works best imo

Qi Wireless is amazing. It has been around since 2012 when the Lumia 920 was released. Had to buy a wireless charger in the U.S. as I couldn't find any accessories for my phone here. Now you can buy it through the microsoft store.

Infrared is for retinal scanning that is a part of the windows hello security. No fingerprints, device will scan your eye(s) to unlock the device.

As for the camera pod I think all it means is that there is metal around the camera area on the device.

I didn't watch the Apple announcement. Just read some blogs about it. To be honest I don't think Apple is all that innovating anymore. I really don't give it as much time as I used to when I was a Apple fan boy. Not only that but have you seen the pricing for the phones? The 16GB unlocked version is $899 CAD. If you want the 6S Plus its going to cost you $1029. Wow.

Oh that sounds like a cool smartwatch!

I know, but its a way for them to enfold you into the environment and make it harder for people to switch. At least with MS if I decide to go back to another OS/device, the MS services are there waiting for me.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee

If only Google would not have beef with MS. I would get Windows Phone 2 years ago (lol)

I actually watched Apple Annoucement for my mom, I want to get her Apple Everything. So it doesn't crash or has tweaking to do, like Android does (since I don't want to spend more time on it than I have to when it's not my device).

Plus Photo stream / sync would be useful (she does not back up anything - and has lost couple hundred phones because even the 'glorious' iPhone crashed)

I originally thought to get her Windows Phone - downfall, she is very keen on the apps and a lot of those apps are the ones our distant family uses, which are Android or iOS friendly to my knowledge, could be wrong though.

x___x I should pull a list of app she needs.
And cross reference. Maybe I should get her a windows phone after all.

I am pulling myself away from being a Fan boy for samsung.
They never brought in the IP67 rating for Note series as they promised, they now took away IR blaster and expandable memory.

A lot things going on in my mind.

So let me ask you this @brandonjbarnard
in your own opinion... seeing that you know all 3 major OS.
Keeping other apps aside.
What is the best route to take for high storage capacity (with or without microsd) that allows you to sync automatically to a cloud service and cloudservice for photos (AND VIDEOS) is either unlimited or cheap storage cost monthly/annually?

Loaded Question I know 😉