Transfer & upgrade to BB Z10

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Transfer & upgrade to BB Z10

Hi there.  New to this forum, so I apologize if this has been covered.  I did search a few threads but couldn't find a definitive answer (and then I couldn't find how to post a new message!)  I've had my BB Curve for 2-1/2 years and really like it but it's at the stage where battery contstantly overheating and shutting down at random, or after checking maybe two e-mails.  I don't use it for games or video streaming, only a few apps, really:  text, email, a little surfing, FB, and oh yeah, as a phone!  It saddens me that RIM/Blackberry rested on their superior system laurels and are no longer a prime offering in the mainstream market.  I started to look at the Samsung S4 which is looking good, but I'm partial to BB, especially since I sometimes use it for work (my employer is BB-wide for the security, they just are not able to issue phones for everyone).  Also, I am looking at the capability for using it in Europe because of its commonality there, (would prefer an unlocked phone but it seems too complicated).  

Anyway...that's a little background.  My primary concern is how to get my contacts (and photo) from my BB Curve 9360 to a new BB Z10.  Also, can anyone offer tips to compare the Z10 to the Z30?  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Transfer & upgrade to BB Z10

Never used the 30, but tested the 10 here at work.. (they decdided to go iphone instead :P)

As for TRANSFERING stuff.. you should be able to do all of that, via the BLACKBERRY LINK DESKTOP software. 
You would plug in your OLD phone, have it copy the stuff over.. then the new phone, and copy it back.

You cant BUY an unlocked phone from rogers, but after.. 30 days? (might be 90.. its friday and im not thinking), you can have it unlocked, even while still on contract, etc.

One this to just be aware of... is DATA usage. 
The older blackberries, workes of BIS.. its on special private network for blackberry info, was compressed, etc... so usage was very small normally.
All new current gen blackberries are like every other regular smartphone, and use NORMAL data sizes, etc.
So say if your OLD usage was 500mb a month on the curve.. you could be using up to 1.5gb with a z10

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks, Gdkitty, especially the tip about data usage, since I currently average under 500 mg!  (And I think the unlock option is 90 days - agree with you about it being Friday!)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah. Might be 30 if you outright buy it, etc.. but contract, 90.

Likely with most new hardware upgrades, there are plan $ minimums.. so a plan change would be possibly needed anyways..

Get a plan,which you can afford, but has enough data.  You can always downgrade/upgrade at any time between plans, at no fee, no contract change, etc (as long as its over the min)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty & Muffella

If you buy a device outright, you can unlock it immediately at the store for $50. If you buy a device under a contract, you will have to wait for 90 and then unlock it for $50.
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info about the unlock, Meowmix; that is what I found out.  

So, I await the arrival of my new BB, would you please let me know:

1.  Is it possible to transfer contacts?  If so, how? 

2.  What is your recommendation on charging the phone in general?  I know it will be in the user's guide, but I'd like to know what is practical in your experience.  Do you always let the battery almost drain before charging or do you constantly recharge?  

Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Muffella

1).
You can back up your BB curve on Blackberry Desktop and then once your new blackberry comes in, you can restore it that way. Also the phone have a backup took built in so that way you can transfer everything using that app.

2). I would highly recommend and suggest that you let the battery drain first and then once it's dead, you fully charge it. Do this a couple of times. I have done this on all this devices i buy and never once had a issue. It always the best to do it.
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks, and my apologies to Gdkitty for overlooking the backup info in your earlier reply.

So, I now have the phone and the BB Link installed on desktop.  I just went to check on my phone which has been charging, and the plug (into the electrical socket), as well as the USB plug are PIPING HOT!  What's up with that?!?  It's not even been an hour that it's been charging and I am very concerned.  Please, can you advise?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Muffela

I have had this issue on multiple devices. IPhone, Samsung, Blackberry and Nokia and even HTC. Sometimes it over heats. Nothing will happen as it prevents from going on fire or anything.

If u are worried, i would say just unplug it for a bit then plug it back in.
I'm Here A Lot

Okay, so I set it to charge again, power off (it was on when charging yesterday but no programs running).  The charger did get very warm/near hot but nothing like yesterday.  Phone was fully charged in 90 minutes and when done, the charger was barely warm.  

NOW my issue is (and not wanting to start a new thread), the phone seemed to freeze or get stuck on the BB id login,and I had good wi fi connection.  I don't want to transfer data from existing phone or even activate this new one till I know that it's working properly!  I finally manually powered off the phone.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks!