Sudden unexplained surge in data usage on my BBQ10

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Sudden unexplained surge in data usage on my BBQ10

I've had my BBQ10 for about 4 months. My data usage limit is 500 MB/month.

Up to now, I've never gone anywhere near that amount of usage. For example, last month (October), I used only 117 MB.

I keep the phone connected to WiFi whenever possible, and in Settings>Mobile Network, I keep Data Services turned to Off.

Any idea why suddenly, I'm getting an alert that I've used 80% of my limit, with 4 days to go in the billing cycle?

In other words, my usage has *quadrupled* this month versus last month. But as far as I know, I've made no changes to how I'm using the phone.

I've spoken to Rogers tech support, but they have no idea either.

I live on a small pension. Can't afford overage charges.

Any suggestions as to what I can check or try?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Sudden unexplained surge in data usage on my BBQ10

Best thing i can sugest.. is to make sure, you close any apps when you are not using them..

On some smart phones, for some reason, they wont always let go of a type of connection.. so say if they started on a cellular connection, even though you moved into a wifi zone, they will continue to use the cellular.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

I have been trying to figure why I have been going over my Monthly Limit (500mb) the last 3 months. I called rogers, and they keep telling me it's on my end, that my apps are the cause of my situation. I went with their explanation. But I started to track my data more tediously. I looked into settings>App Manager>Device Monitor and found this:

http://postimg.org/image/um2cpd881/

431 MB on wifi. If it wasnt for that, it would have gone through Mobile data

I checked my other apps, no huge amounts of data were downloaded. It seems I have the culprit. Its not me, ITS THE PHONE. Please bear in my that, I have wiped phone twice, I only use Twitter and Gmail, and problems still persists

Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

edit: one more thing, Over the last 3 months, I have been over my limit by 8Gb

I've Been Here Awhile

so did rogers do anyting for you???

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello anthony11221

I don't think the OP is coming back as this is a few months ago. Hopefully the do come back and answer if Rogers did anything for them.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Anthony11221

It seems like WiFi is not staying on when the screen is off it seems. I would highly suggest contacting Rogers tech support and having them do a investigation on this. I know many other had issues like this on the BlackBerry Q10 ans other devices.

I've Been Here Awhile

so i called rogers, they told me to just turn off my phone in the night. WOW! my phone is downloading 400 mb on a daily basis, and thats their best solution. Im shocked, and frustrated cause Im stuck another 2 years with this phone. I think Im going to cancel my plan

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Turning off your phone at night is not a solution, it's a temporary remedy. If your usage is spiking like it is and you're using only Twitter and GMail, there's a problem with the phone and it becomes the responsibility of Rogers to fix it. When you signed up for service with Rogers, your contract indicated that the company would provide support to you (it's in their contract with BlackBerry, as well). Whether Rogers supplies you with a refurbished phone or sends yours off for repair, the ball is in their court to do something about it.

Keep us up to date on your progress.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@anthony11221 - did you get that phone from Rogers? if so, just bring it back to the store, they'll fix it for you; if it's a 3rd party device, BBR has a pretty reliable service centre - you can contact those guys (might be a bit more tedious process though)

I've Been Here Awhile

I have been getting the round around by alot of departments. Talked to tech support, they said its a billing issue,billing said its techincal, etc etc. I asked for "advance exchange", but they said they cant get a me replacement phone because its past one year from purchase date. (one rep said that I should talk to blackberry about this) I dont have the time to deal with these people for hours and hours. Im going to the rogers store

Thanks for the help people, I will keep you updated.