Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

Re: Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

I always look at the positive side of things, most people think windows phone is unsupported because of Microsoft buying Nokia and then writing down a 7b dollar loss. I think the outcry to keep windows phone going is just starting out.

First of all Microsoft will never drop windows phone as its part of their Windows 10 Experience

Second of all Microsoft's 640XL is just as good if not better than the Iphone 6 because of:

5.7" screen is huge compared to the price Its HD and the camera supports HD

Dual cameras the front is 5Mp i believe

Pricepoint: 239.00 direct unlocked from MS Canada webstore  (in canadian dollars) Not US

Apple is at least 800.00 and then you have it  outright and still need icloud or itunes and they only give 5GBMb in icloud

2nd Windows phone may not have full market share or support like android / apple but its makinga huge comeback.

Look for windows phones under microsoft to make a huge comback in 2016 (my personal technical opinion)

I replaced my Nexus 5 and my iPhone 4s with this device and the device is rock solid, great camera, plays video flawlessly, has micro SD support and does have BBM (which i love) and also has windows 10 coming soon which will make your phone wifi sync capable, no additional software needed.  OOTB it will support direct syncing and the sync software comes part of windows 10. No need to plug in to backup, setup auto backup and voila

Also it comes with a 30GB One Drive I believe mine did through some special promotion when i signed up. (may not still exist). But you get at least a 15GB storage with your one drive which again in windows 10 is directly supported without having to sign in, its built into the OS and when you copy files to and from it, it wirelessly syncs to your phone via wifi. Plus every friend you invite to one drive upgrades your storage in 500Mb increments to a max of 5GB more that's 35GB not bad.

Now the best feature by far is the ability of the phone to actively detect wifi/cellular, so in a nutshell you will never go over your data limit, you can completely restrict any data activity on cell, setting the phone to only allow syncing via wifi, or you can set a limit on how much each app can use. Also you can specify which app can use x amount of cell data before going to wifi

that is only one of the features, but another is the ability to never have to worry about once downloading a picture or taking one with your camera, its automatically synced to your one drive the next time your on wifi, you don't even need to use the phone, go to the one drive in windows 10 and it will already be there.

Those are things i can think of off the top of my head

Full LTE/4G/3G/2G support and bluetooth support. NFC i dunno haven't played with it yet.

The only limitation is app support because Nokia sort of had their own app development, Microsoft didn't but they are making a huge comback and developing apps for windows 10 also works on windows phone 10, so its a win win. also it comes with a completely free Microsoft One Note App, which in my opinion is way better than MS Word, you can also get Office 365 for the phone, and its not that expensive and directly supports MS office 365

Hope this helps

Rogers Employee

The back camera is 13MP which is not the best but much better for the pricepoint

I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone 6S Plus has a rear camera resolution of 12MP, compared to the 13MP on the Lumia 640 XL. It's just numbers but it's still not bad given the price difference.

Rogers Employee

Agreed anyone who wants the best bang for the buck cannot fail with the 640XL, in my humble opinion it should win an award for best phone 2015 as its gving the same quality as the iPhone but at 1/4th the cost

I'm Here A Lot

I was actually thinking to buy 640 XL model and wait until rummored MS Surface Phone will out next year. But it's going to be expensive when released.  640 XL is great for $249 (sale price) unlocked, but 5.7 '' screen a little bit big for me. Plus I really want Iris scanner from Nokia Lumia 950 and screen factor is smaller. I decided to wait until February 2016 to puraches Nokia 950 after W10M will be more stable. I gave my Nokia 920 to my wife and I am back to my Samsung Focus Windows Mobile 7.8.  This phone still runs.  🙂

Rogers Employee

Totally up to you, was just specifying an option 🙂

Best of luck with your new Nokia Phone 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

So I got a Lumia 950  just before Christmas  since I am not on contract any more I am just going buy phone outright anyay.

It feel really good, and with continuum, I never need to turn on the computer during the holiday break at all for days.

I was trying one TV at bestbuy the other day using miracast on my phone, and show the desktop UI via Continuum, the guy at bestbuy 's eye was crazy wide. So this is the future. Of course I am not say it will fit every body, since there are holes in OS part for now.

even though there are still lots of things need to be polished (OS and firmware), it is one of the best device  experience I ever had, way better than my experience oon android device, which is totally Virus in morden computing world nowaday in my opinion. Especially consider Lumia 920 still run very smoothly after 3 yr old, but the flagship androids released the same time  can't even run a half the smoothness, never mention you can hardly get a OS/Firmware update on Android phone if it is Rogers branded, but I can get windows 10 on Lumia 920. So I totally lost faith in Android now.

And reacently since windows 10 Universal app, tons of Apps are avilable now including TSNgo and CTV Go (both BELL) and CBC, so shame on Rogers don't offer your Windows 10 universal app

Rogers Employee

Yes I am a big promoter of Windows phone, and everyone i work with are like "why" and i explain all the future options that microsoft has coming down the pipe, I do use android and iOS and even Blackberry for work, but my personal phone i carry all the time is my Windows Phone. I love it and its fantastic.

All i can say to everyone is to try it out... If you have doubts about the quality, and your thinking of buying one through the Microsoft store, remember they have a 30 days no questions asked warranty. I broke the 535 screen trying to put a SIM into the phone, and called them up, they said no problems, and i sent it back, 3 days later Full refund on my credit card.

Then i bought the 640XL as it looked alot more rugged, and haven't looked back. I bought mine for 339 and now its 100 bucks cheaper. To me any of you not running to the MS Store to get this phone will be missing out!

🙂