Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

I am very disappointed with Rogers not even consider to bring these models. I would probably wait till January – February next year and buy Lumia 950 and save about $500. And really nothing I can do about this and there are no other alternatives. I even cannot leave Rogers because I have 4 wireless services and one of them is still under contract and second is Home phone that is locked to Rogers.

I would call it - monopoly. There are 4-5 wireless carriers in Canada but in reality all of us stuck with one of them. They offer similar plans and services, so really we cannot really save money if we decide to switch. Well big corporations, they do not care about customers. I guess I have to by my phone through MS store.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Serghei

I was/am disappointed with Rogers as well. However it wasn't surprising as Rogers did nothing to support Windows Phone. Despite being a huge WP fan I jumped shipped to Android with the Nexus 6P. I can't afford a Lumia 950 unlocked. Nor do I have the patience to wait around for Windows 10 to catch up.

It is definitely a monopoly. However I spend my money where I am treated in a decent friendly manner. Lately it hasnt been rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently AT&T in the States will be selling the Lumia 950 and a bridge for $99.99 on a two year contract. THAT kind of price I can afford. Unless Microsoft starts offering a payment plan, the new Lumia phones are DOA in Canada.

BTW, Koodoo unlocked my old Rogers Lumia 920 for free, and I'm loving their $45 (750mb) plan. I'll probably buy a Lumia 640XL from Expansys.ca after Christmas and stick with Koodoo.

@grapemanca

Yes, AT&T is the only carrier in North America offering the new Lumia devices. I'm in the same situation I could afford $100-$200 on contract. Can't afford or justify buying it unlocked. So I jumped carriers and platform to Android. I will re-evaluate Windows Phone in a couple years time when my contract is up again. I just got tired of waiting for flagships, apps etc.

I thought of doing that. But read some damning reviews about  Koodoo customer service. So now on Bell. I've always had pleasant and friendly dealings with Bell staff. Unlike the treatment I recieved from Rogers when I called a Ottawa location inquiring about the Nexus 6P phone. The customer service rep was so rude, and made me feel like I was wasting his time with stupid questions. In fact he tried to tell me at first that Rogers doesn't carry "Nexus" devices. Rogers carries the Nexus 6. This was also a day or two after the Nexus 6P was released and available through the Rogers website. He was the deciding factor that led me to leave Rogers. In fact I will probably port my Fiance's number over to Bell as well and pay off her tab just to be done with them. Bell may be just as evil, but at least I get eager, friendly, and competent customer  service.

I'm Here A Lot

I am paying $150 before taxes for 2GB of data for 3 lines. $80 (contract) + $35 (Bring your own device) + $35 (BYOD).

Not too bad compare to $45 for 750 MB. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Why is the first thing in my mind screaming rip-off
I Plan to Stick Around

And I am buying it from Microsoft directly. 900 bucks give or take which will hurt my finances. But I need and want a new phone.it sucks because I will be over charged by Rogers for Rogers. And pay for a phone charge when I don't owe them money on a month to month for a phone
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I know, But one line is on contract and I cannot do anything about it. I am paying 9.99 for the Home Phone instead of $25-$30.
I Plan to Stick Around

Interestingly, two of the biggest phone carriers in Australia ARE carrying the Lumia 950 and/or the Lumia 950 XL:

"Optus have confirmed that they will be carrying both handsets; Telstra will be offering the XL only"

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/microsoft-lumia-950-and-950-xl-windows-phones-fo...

Bottom line - if the phone can be offered by carriers in Autralia, then it can be offered in Canada. Back to you, Rogers?

@grapemanca

I think its more Microsoft severing ties with carriers that never supported Windows Phone in the first place. AT&T offered every flagship Lumia phone in the U.S. so its no surprise that they are offering the Lumia 950. Unless something changes in the future I don't see any carrier in Canada offering Windows 10 devices. Its possible that Carriers in Canada may get the next Windows Phone that is released. I wouldn't count on it though.  I went to Android, and waiting to see how Windows 10 develops in next couple of years.

I'm sure in the next couple of months you will be able to get an unlocked Lumia 950 or 950XL from www.expansys.ca at a discount. You never know, Microsoft may drop the prices on the devices if they don't sell that well.

Cheers!

B