Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers not carrying Windows 10 Devices

Hello @Arkanis

That can be taken with a grain of salt until it actually happens to be honest. Any rep can say anything but they don't have a clue until the company actually releases the info live. Also Rogers has windows devices so that doesn't mean anything either.
I'm Here A Lot

I agree with that. I am just making a point that Rogers should look at the customer base and see that this phone is something special and try to nurture windows because it maybe a big revenue stream for them if that actually put effort behind it.

Only time will tell right now. I don't plan on buying one off contract. I will how ever jump an anyone who releases it.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Every carrier has its issues. I am truly disapointed that Rogers is not offering the 950. I Plan on staying with Rogers for now. however if anothr carrier officially announces they will offer windows phone in Canada I will switch in a heart beat. Chances are slim, but Bell didnt comment and Telus didnt give an answer in time for the mobile syrup article. So until those companies come out and officially say they arent going to offer them, I'm going to wait. Seems very strange to me that there is not even 1 carrier in Canada that will carry the windows 10 phones. Its still early days since the device unveiling last Tuesday. Maybe there will be more developments as it gets closer to release dates. Just going to sit and hope until I hear differently.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi guys,

There was an article on the Windows Central website a few days ago about this. It seems that the blame is shared between Microsoft and the Canadian carriers, as Microsoft is choosing not to release phones on carriers that have not been friendly to Microsoft in the past. When Windows and Windows Phone started to gain momentum in Canada, Rogers was one of the only carriers that provided a range of phones, and promoted the new OS heavily, but it seems that over the years that relationship has waivered and no other Canadian carrier has kept a bond with Microsoft for them to feel that they can sell a good number of phones outside of their Stores in Canada.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-leaves-door-open-wider-lumia-950-and-950-xl-carrier-availabi...

This also explains why networks in the US like T-Mobile and Verizon are open to the idea of carrying Windows Phones, but only AT&T has said that they will be officially selling them through their channels.

Conversely in Europe, where Microsoft is the 3rd largest device manufacturer after Apple and Samsung, a large number of carriers are selling their phones. In my native England, all 3 of the biggest carriers are officially carrying either the 950 or the 950 XL, or both, and Carphone Warehouse, the largest independent mobile phone seller in Europe, will be selling and promoting the new phones in their stores. This shows that Microsoft is going after markets where the base is already good, and scaling back heavily in those markets where there seems to be little to no love.

Long story short, Microsoft is the one that has decided that the Canadian carriers can't support their products, not the other way around, but Microsoft is taking past actions into account when it made that decision.

@Meowmix

The big picture has a lot more going on than people realize. I spend A LOT of time reading up on Microsoft/Windows devices. There was an article that came out in the summer on windows central saying that Microsoft has been cancelling partnerships with carriers that don't support windows phone. However I cannot say I wasn't (and still am) disgruntled when I heard that Rogers wasn't going to offer Windows 10 devices.  I am not surprised in the least. Rogers did nothing to support Windows 8 or promote it properly. The last flagship Rogers offered was in July 2013 when the 1020 was released. Rogers only supported Windows 8 flagships for 9 months (I don't include the Lumia 830) Why would Microsoft want to have a partnership with a carrier that does that? And why would Rogers carry a phone less than a million people in Canada want? Its a catch 22. The people that end up being left out in the cold is the customer. It's fine if you have the money to just buy it directly from Microsoft, but a lot of us can't afford or justify over $800 on a new device and were hoping that our carrier would subsidize it. Plus there are a lot of us out there with phones that are going to be 3 years old soon and starting to show its age. A lot of us waited and held out for a new device instead of jumping ship to Android or iOS. Now a lot of us don't have a choice. 1st world problem I know, but why would we continue to give Rogers our hard earned money if we can't get what we want? Its totally childish but if I can't get what I want, I'll take my money elsewhere and at least feel that I was able to express my unhappiness in a way that Rogers understands... money.

I'm Here A Lot

I agree. I see it at the cost of doing business. We still have a couple months to go they may change and offer it. I have seen alot of outrage about it.

But then again when has Rogers listen to there customers they raised the price of my internet because they said it was too cheap and raised it to be competitive. What a joke.

Would be awesome if Rogers changed their mind and listened to customers and offered even the Lumia 950 for a limited time. I really doubt they will though. Like I said, I'm waiting for official word from the other 2 carriers before I upgrade or buy an unlocked phone.

Exactly, Rogers/any carrier will do ultimately what is best for their bottom line. Its business.

I asked Telus and Bell via facebook if they will be offering Windows 10 devices. Telus  told me the don't have any news to share at this time, but to keep checking the website for information on device launches.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm with Rogers since I have a personnal cell phone contract.... but now Rogers is just asking me to go away.... I was waiting for that new phone for more than a year. I'll pay for it even if I must buy it directly from Microsoft. But one thing is sure.... I won't activate the phone with Rogers.

I'm Here A Lot

i kinda have to buy any phone out right from now on, since i won't get any plan deal from any carrier nearly half good as my grandfather 6GB data plan. so if i need a new device, only option is buy brand new outright either from rogers or kijji or unlocked.

I Plan to Stick Around

I believe MS did not invite any Canadian Carriers to carry the phone because of poor marketing and so forth with other windows products. Canadian Carriers, even Rogers that was supposed to be MS partner in Canada did very little to promote these phones before. I am purchasing one from MS store when arrives latter in November. MS only asked ATT in the us to carry the phone and did not ask Verizon because well Verizon does what Rogers, Telus and Bell do here, they are either iPhone or Samsung and now it seems BB again.