Question about the new - Nokia 3310 - and 2G network shutting down

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Question about the new - Nokia 3310 - and 2G network shutting down

It indeed is a very nice remake of the classic phone and unfortunately it sucks that it won't work here. if it is anything like the original version, the 3310 was never sold or intended to be used in north america, north america got the 3360 (tdma version) and 3390 (2g gsm version)  if they release one for our market, they no doubt need to make it compatible with our frequences and bands, so 3g at a minimum and 850/1900.   And since all the news reports Ive read only mention 3310, and NOT 3390, its very unlikely that we will see a north american flavour

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Indeed it is. I might get one for my father ( he will laugh but will like it). It seems that many countries use the older technology still and older Mhz then us and many want those devices. Mind u they use dual sim, faster processors and such ( other devices).
I've Been Here Awhile

Why did North and South America go with 850/1900 when the rest of the entire world uses 900/1800?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm-map-worldtimezone.gif

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @icecap

Most likely due to agreements and also due to speeds of the networks. It's all up to the carriers here in Canada and the CRTC which mhz they use. you won't get the proper a set unfortunately.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ icecap, the frequencies were in use, I cant remember what for, possibly military use, but they could not vacate them in time for PCS launch

I'm Here A Lot

Just heard that the Nokia 3310 3G version is officially coming to Canada......is Rogers going to offer it ??

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lynx0139

At this moment Rogers has not made a comment if or when they will carry this device. Stay tuned for any information that comes out!