cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the new - Nokia 3310 - and 2G network shutting down

icecap
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I was interested in getting one of the new Nokia 3310's but I read that it runs on 2.5G. Since Rogers will be shutting down its 2G network in the near future, does that mean the phone wouldn't work anymore after that? Or does that only mean that internet won't work anymore but calls and texts will?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nokia-3310-re-launch-review-price-feat...

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about the new - Nokia 3310 - and 2G network shutting down

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
16 REPLIES 16

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @icecap

That is correct. Once the 2.5G has been taken down, the only thing you can do on that device is call and text. Anything requiring internet will need to be done via WiFi if the device has that.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@icecap If the new phone only supports GSM, then the phone WON'T work for calls or text, when Rogers shuts down it's GSM/GPRS/EDGE Network. The network *could* be shutdown by 2018, so investing in this phone isn't a good idea. Also it looks like it doesn't include any WiFi capability, so you can't use data on it.

It's a shame Nokia didn't include HSPA capability on it, since most networks in the world are in the process of shutting down their older GSM networks.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3310_(2017)-8597.php

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

From a source I spoke to within Rogers, they said Texting and calling will work but not internet. GSM most likely will stay active for a bit Until it's taken down but I have spoken to a source within Rogers to verify this that it will work somehow. Don't ask how. He wouldn't give me that information. That could change through as we all know. Just sharing information I got from them :).

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Meowmix  Everything I read online said that they will be shutting down the GSM network and refarming those frequencies to HSPA and LTE. Also I can't see how Rogers can keep GSM/EDGE/GPRS data Off but calls On, since they are physicaly removing these 2G antennas. Either way buying a device that only supports 2G doesn't make sense since Rogers is only supporting 2G until 2018.

Rogers Website 

Change in Rogers 2G Network, provincially, from Apr - Jun 2016

2G Antenna Channel counts, from 2013 - 2015

from Wikipedia:

"Since 2002, the company's 2G GSM network with EDGE has operated in Canada.[11][12] It provides compatibility for GSM-based devices, including those frequently used by international travelers. However, this technology is limited to speeds up to 236 kilobits per second, which is only about four times the speed of dial-up.

Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018"

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

I am only going by what a source within Rogers told me ( which gives 98% of the times accurate information). Now he could be wrong so i do apologize for that if he is. :).

By the looks of it then yes u are correct. It makes sense now and at this point once useless to get a device that just supports that. Sadly though most European devices that aren't able to detect networks here other then those listed above are what some are buying.

icecap
I've been here awhile

Does Rogers support 900 MHz and 1800 MHz?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ice cap

I do not believe they do. Rogers uses 1900mHz and 850mhz.

icecap
I've been here awhile
Darn - so the phone won't even work then! 😞

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @icecap

Here is the list of what Rogers uses!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Wireless

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It indeed is a very nice remake of the classic phone and unfortunately it sucks that it won't work here. if it is anything like the original version, the 3310 was never sold or intended to be used in north america, north america got the 3360 (tdma version) and 3390 (2g gsm version)  if they release one for our market, they no doubt need to make it compatible with our frequences and bands, so 3g at a minimum and 850/1900.   And since all the news reports Ive read only mention 3310, and NOT 3390, its very unlikely that we will see a north american flavour

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Pauly

Indeed it is. I might get one for my father ( he will laugh but will like it). It seems that many countries use the older technology still and older Mhz then us and many want those devices. Mind u they use dual sim, faster processors and such ( other devices).

icecap
I've been here awhile

Why did North and South America go with 850/1900 when the rest of the entire world uses 900/1800?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm-map-worldtimezone.gif

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @icecap

Most likely due to agreements and also due to speeds of the networks. It's all up to the carriers here in Canada and the CRTC which mhz they use. you won't get the proper a set unfortunately.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@ icecap, the frequencies were in use, I cant remember what for, possibly military use, but they could not vacate them in time for PCS launch

lynx0139
I plan to stick around

Just heard that the Nokia 3310 3G version is officially coming to Canada......is Rogers going to offer it ??

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @lynx0139

At this moment Rogers has not made a comment if or when they will carry this device. Stay tuned for any information that comes out!
Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation