Nokia Lumia 930

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia Lumia 930

Well I haven't tried android (the latest anyway) but I can think of a few things.

KIDS CORNER: got a kid or a relative who wants to play with your phone? Activate the Kids corner and select the apps you want them to use. After that it's simply swipe from right to left then up in the lock screen to use it. No need to let them in your personal data.

VPN (Windows Phone 8.1): Connect to a VPN to use the resources that are in it.

Workplace Account: Use your company e-mail address to allow the company to integrate some certificates and policies on to your phone, you'll then be allowed to use company made apps.

Project my Screen (Windows Phone 8.1): Project your Windows Phone display onto a TV, monitor, projector etc either wirelessly or connected via USB cable.

Driving Mode: Use Driving mode in your car to gain access to your address book without any hassle.

Office Mobile: View and edit any office document (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). The mobile version is extremely limited though.

Peoples Hub: See what's new in your social media all within the hub no need to open one app at a time to see anything.

Live Tiles: Allows data to display on the home page like weather, news, email, messages, etc...

Exclusive Apps... Well all OS has them 😛

Fantastic Nokia built apps ( Nokia phones only) including Nokia Camera, HERE Maps, HERE Drive and others.

Offline Map navigation: Download maps to use them when you have no connection. HERE maps are free so no need to worry when using HERE Drive since it has a built in GPS. No internet connection required.

That's all I can think of for now.
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the gist… I guess the only reason why I personally don’t find windows phones appealing is their size – correct me if I’m wrong but all their top of the line devices have large screen… I would recommend Nokia or whoever to create a product which can freely fit in your pocket and it’s got to be made using expensive materials… in other words something to compete with the latest iphone, s5mini, m8mini, etc
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What sort of screen size are you looking for? A lumia 920 is a 4.5" screen and was the flagship product when Windows Phone 8 launched. I'm sure that you know that Nokia always used premium materials to build their phones (like the Nokia brick haha 😛 ) so it'll take some abuse before seeing any damage. I'm sure you can find one used on Ebay for a great price since the 1020 is their flagship now (in Canada) but with similar specs to 920 except the monster camera and 2 GB of RAM instead of 1.

If you do get it, you'll enjoy it's buttery smooth performance even with technically not top of the line hardware. Try and get the Rogers model if you can since it's a Pentaband version of it, compare to every other version.
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know if I could represent a good portion of the customer base but to me phone is a non-multimedia device yet my understanding Nokia is focusing on bright large resolution screens, high quality camera, and integration with social networks... I would definitely give it a shot if I saw a features stripped down but a tech advanced device i.e. slimmer, thinner bezel, improved voice clarity, all packed in a luxurious small frame 🙂 some one recommended me to get Vertu recently but that's a completely different angle and here I'm referring to mass production
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah nokia phones are great for multimedia usages but then again so are the other high end phones. I suppose it's not for everyone since that great camera does come with more weight (209 grams if I'm not mistaken) but I actually like having some weight to make it feel like it's there instead of something so light that I completely forgot about it until it rings or vibrates haha.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding unlock phones at Microsoft Store, Joe Belfiore replied to a nearly identical request on Reddit as follows:

"Let's take this in parts:

Carrier Exclusive phones...in the US and Canada, the carriers value having exclusive phones because they are reasonably looking for any angle to get people to sign up for a long term contract. They are really selling contracts, and their method is to attract with a phone that they promote aggressively. As part of this model, they expect to and DO spend a LOT of money on marketing. When their business works this way, it's very hard for a hw maker to NOT participate because you'd be competing against the money that the carriers themselves would spend on marketing and against the work they'd do to sell other phones against yours in their stores.

We understand this creates a dilemma for end-users... you want to buy a phone but it's not on the carrier you're already signed up with. Well, that's precisely the effect the carriers are trying to create, they want you to switch. 🙂

In the higher-volume ecosystems, you have seen this dynamic change... iPhones and Samsung phones are typically the same device across carriers. I expect as WP usage grows and along with that as broader end-user demand begins to ALREADY EXIST in the market, the need for carriers to spend money educating people will diminish and the phones are likely to be more broadly available.

SO .. in the meantime... try expansys.com or zones.com to buy unlocked phones. :)"

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Please explain why you think this to be the case. If it's a "Global release, except for USA" then the Lumia 930 should make its way to Canada at some point.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Where did you read no NA release? I only saw USA wasn't getting it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There was an event a few weeks ago in Toronto for developers of Windows Phone and there was a Microsoft representative and a Rogers one as well. One of the devs asked if Canada will be seeing the 930 they both said no however during the fall they will be releasing a "special" phone for us.

This phone might be the new phone that has 3D Touch. MacLean was the code name for it if I remember right.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

yes newer Microsoft phones while be coming probably for the holiday season. From my understanding there will be a low end phone, a mid range and a high end phone. dont know if they all will be available in canada and it seems in the us anyways there will be no carrieer exclusive stuff on any of these phones. The 635 LTE phone may still come to Rogers and Telus before this time though.