Nokia 920 - call volume suddenly low

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nokia 920 - call volume suddenly low

i turned on my phone Friday morning and right away at the first call, I could not hear the person on the other end.  If I put the phone on speaker, there is no problem.  If I plug in headphones there is no problem.   The call volume is set to 10.  I have verified all settings and even hard-reset the phone.  i verified the slot where the speaker is and there is no lint or anything else blocking it.  

I checked online and I see the issue mentioned in a few forums.  One person indicated it was a hardware problem  This is the third issue I've had with the phone in less than two years.  I brought it in under warranty for the first two issues which involved the hard-resets taking over 9 hours and the camera stopped working.  The phone was exchanged.  The replacement was not new.  FYI - I got the phone in November 2012.

Now my phone is not under warranty and I'm going to have to pay to have it repaired or get another phone.  I spoke with Rogers who indicated that they have refurbished phones available.  Great - I get another phone and could very well face the same issue.

I called Nokia Canada who indicated that no such issues like this have been reported.  The person I spoke to was very polite and quite helpful so I will be calling their tech support on Monday.  Thing is, no matter what, I'm going to be paying to have this issue resolved.  One thing I really appreciated about Nokia Canada is that the person who answered the phone knew the phone like the back of his hand.  He was able to answer every question I had after the hard reset - things I had no idea about.  If you ever have any questions about the phone, you're better off calling Nokia.

Anyway, I'm disappointed.  As I stated to both Rogers and Nokia, I like this phone.  By chance as anyone else had a similar issue?

One more thing, the guy at Nokia told me Windows 8.1 is coming out very soon.  He suggested that I might wait until the upgrade to see if the problem is resolved.  If it's a hardware issue, that's not going to happen.  I'd like to know before then.

***Edited Labels.***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia 920 - call volume suddenly low

Strange that you're getting this problem. I got mine since launch day and I never had a problem with it. I have 8.1 though so I am not sure if it's really a software issue or not.

A suggestion I guess is to make sure all speakers and microphones are cleaned. Other than that if you know how to open a 920 verify the wiring aren't loss or damaged.

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.  I've been on the phone with a few places and I think I know what happened.

Two weeks ago I dropped the phone outside during a rainstorm.  I thought I had picked it up quick enough to not have any water damage but according to what I'm told, sometimes it takes time for the effects of getting water on any of the openings to show up.   The phone didn't show any effect until last Friday but now with the issue I've got, I'm thinking that might be the cause.

I'm not 100% certain, but right now I don't think it's a phone issue.

I've been on the phone with Rogers to outline my options about replacing the phone and they have been very helpful.  In fact, it's some of the nicest service I've received from any company I've dealt with.   I could go the refurbished route, the new contract route or go and buy a new phone entirely.  I've toyed with getting another operating system (Android/Iphone) but honestly, I like my Windows phone, I know it's not popular and the help isn't readily out there, but it's the nicest phone I've ever had. 

So right now, I'm weighing the options and hope to resolve the issue soon.  Thing is, the phone still works on speaker so I'm not without the option to use it entirely. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually if you wait for Fall (only 3 months you can handle it :P) they're supposed to launch a new flagship phone code name: Nokia McLaren

Of course it's all rumors and speculation at this point but usually the source behind the rumor has it correct the majority of the time. When Rogers and Microsoft said we're getting a "special phone" this fall. It might be that and it's certainly not the Lumia 930
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for letting me know that.  I just might wait.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation