Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lumia 950

L830 are decent devices. Was going to get one myself last year but decided I wasn't going to waste an upgrade on a sidegrade. The side by side comparisons between the two devices were very close. So decided to stick with my L920 and wait for the flagship.
I Plan to Stick Around

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed that Rogers won't be carrying at least one of the new Windows Phones. Even if I get one from MS there will obviously be no Rogers apps for it. Granted, there ain't a lot now anyways but I do rely on their Home Monitoring app daily and imagine there probably won't be one for Windows 10. Why not access it from the web, you say? Ya, maybe but that doesn't work now so I don't think it will in 10 either. Have to wait and see I guess. Failing that I will be going Android. What's the best camera phone for that OS? One of the main reasons I went with Windows Phone in the first place was the 1020's amazing camera.

Just a guy.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also surprised that MS, apparently, hasn't somehow been able to use its clout to get carriers in Canada (and elsewhere?) on board. I say that but don't really know practically speaking what they could actually do but come on, you're Microsoft! Windows 10 is a big deal for them. They really do need to hit the ground running. I know Canada is hardly a priority but NO carrier support on your new flagships? Come on!
Just a guy.
I Plan to Stick Around

My guess is 8 current Windows Phone users out of 10 will bail if they have to pay full pop from the get-go at the MS store. And you can forget about gaining any new users if people have to go to the MS store. I really have to wonder about MS's strategy here. Seems like Windows mobile will be a non starter in Canada.
Just a guy.
I've Been Around

For your information, i've replace my 920 for a 830, and i'm very please with it! But still i'm waiting for the 950

Quite a few dissapointed Rogers customers based on the recent posts:

Very shortsighted of Rogers, given the new flagship launch of impressive hardware this week that has received some very positive industry reviews. But now that Rogers has adandoned Windows phones, the new 950s may indeed do poorly due to lack of carrier support - self-fulfilling prophecy at Rogers. They must really dislike Microsoft. I hope the 950's do spectacularly  well in the rest of the world.

I guess Rogers will be dropping Blackberry any time now... its market share is even less than Windows!
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Actually, I think it is hard to blame Rogers. Windows Phone simply doesn't have enough of a user base, or "buzz," to justify an investment by Rogers into the platform. That may change, but that's the way things are now.

One way to tell is just click on the link to a message board for one of the other platforms. Each of Android and iOS will have way more topics, and many, many more posts. This thread might attract, at most, a couple of hundred angry posts (many of them repeat visitors, such as myself). An iPhone thread can attract a thousand. Some of them have over 10,000.

When Rogers sees numbers like that on a Windows Phone community forum, you can bet they will rethink. Not before then, I fear.

In any event, the carrier-subsidy model has always been something of a rip-off. They lure in everyone, but only really make sense to those that simply can't afford to drop close to a grand at one time for a phone.

What we may see happening is something like what Apple has done recently; i.e., it is offering new iPhones for purchase on instalment plans. Perhaps Microsft will do the same to entice potential Windows Phone customers. It appears to be a growing trend, and definitely a strategy for breaking the device manufacturers' thralldom to the big wireless carriers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Lumia 950 is sold in Microsoft Store unlocked.

@O_M_R -  Re "When Rogers sees numbers like that on a Windows Phone community forum, you can bet they will rethink." I doubt if Roger decision-makers use the number of forum views to decide on anything - pretty sad if they do. Then again, given the way things work (sorry - dont work) at Rogers, nothing suprises me any more. I no longer trust what Rogers says. My recent account chagnes are a mess as they say one thing and do another. Speak to three agents, get three different answers. Maybe that's the silver lining here - they say they wont carry the 950...maybe that means they will!
I Plan to Stick Around

Interestingly, T-Mobile in the USA wants to carry the 950/950XL, but feels shut out by Microsoft:

Yesterday, T-Mobile CEO John Legere ranted on Twitter about Microsoft's failure to reach out to T-Mobile about carrying the new Lumia phones.

"To be clear: We did not turn down the new Windows devices. MSFT gave to AT&T. If @microsoft wakes up, we'll talk about @TMobile carrying," tweeted Legere.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/might-microsofts-lumia-950-and-950xl-phones-get-more-carrier-love/?tag=...