Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lumia 950

@brandonjbarnard Yes, but don't you have to run your phone in "developer preview?" If you only want the final version of the OS, and its periodic updates (I don't want to be a Beta tester), then I don't see how Microsoft is going to deliver them.

This is ridiculous, frankly. I like the OS, and I want this Windows phone, but if I'm going to go with an underdeveloped ecosystem, I shouldn't ALSO have to jump through a whole bunch of extra hoops to get the damned device.

It really looks like I'm out for good.

I've Been Around

I am looking forward to the release of this phone, I really hope Rogers picks it up. I will be purchasing 2 of them if they do Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

@phillymayo Rogers isn't picking them up. If you want one, you'll have to buy it direct from Microsoft.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@O_M_R

You had to run your phone in developer preview to get the windows 8 or 8.1 updates. With Windows 10 Microsot will control mobile updates.

This article may help clarify things if you are interested.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-says-it-will-be-charge-windows-10-mobile-update

by ecosystem do you mean app-gap?

I agree with you though on that point. We shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to get the device we want. Should be provided by our carrier. However that is the reality with windows phones in Canadian market at the moment. We will have to wait and see what announcements are made by the carriers.

@O_M_R

you have an official source verifying this statement that Rogers isn't going to offer them?

I Plan to Stick Around

@brandonjbarnard Not "official" but people with sources at the major telcos say it isn't happening. I have no reason to doubt their sources, and equally no reason to think that things will change dramatically for Windows phone in the next two months:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/07/rogers-on-the-lumia-950xl-we-dont-have-any-plans-to-carry-it-at-th...

If Rogers offers a discount on my plan for an unlocked phone (I've read that they do) then I'm happy buying direct from Microsoft.

@O_M_R

yeah I just found that article on Mobile Syrup as well and started another topic.

Rogers will give you $20 off your plan if you bring your own device.

I Plan to Stick Around

@brandonjbarnard I had no idea you got a break on a Roger plan if you buy onlocked until I read it today.

Given that there is a ~$20/month savings on my plan, I'd be delighted to pay Microsoft directly.

Rogers device selection seem abysmal anyway. The only other phone I was considering was a Moto X Play. Turns out that's only on Telus (subsidized, that is).

@O_M_R

yeah if your phone is old enough it can be reduced to a smart tab so $10 off, and my Lumia 920 in December will technically be a no tab device since my 3 year contract will be over so I'll get $20 off total for my wireless.

I don't have the $$$ to buy a phone unlocked so was hoping to get it through Rogers.

Only reason I switched to Rogers from Telus was for the Lumia 920

@brandonjbarnard  - is there a source for "Rogers will give you $20 off your plan if you bring your own device."? I jsut spoke with cusomter service a few weeks back about brining in a phone to my plan and ther was no mention of this. Are you referring to the adding a second phone? I think the nomral rate is $60/mo for the first phone and something like $40/month for the second - is that the $20 off you are referring to???

@brandonjbarnard, @O_M_R  - I noticed the end of mobile syrup article concluded that yup, there were no Rogers plans for the 950XL, but that "There could be hope for the Lumia 950." Perhaps there is still a glimmer of hope for a subsidized 950 ??