Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lumia 950

It would appear that it's not just Microsoft Canada dropping the ball,; its Microsoft US as well.

Check out this article:

Interesting comment .... "AT&T is the only US carrier to voice any support for these phones, and so far it is only committing to the smaller Lumia 950. Not a single carrier has said it will sell the larger XL. Without any shelf space in Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon shops, the 950 and 950 XL hardly have a chance at all. The vast majority of smartphone shoppers in the US buy their phones

Would really be ashame if it truly is doomed to fail. 

It will be a fascincating Q4 as we watch events unfold.

Hmm, the theme re lack of carrier support seems very real. Every article I now read makes that point.

Here is another :
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492659,00.asp 
Hands On With the Lumia 950, 950 XL: Beautiful But Doomed ; Microsoft's new phones are beautiful, but are unlikely to succeed without carrier support.

Worth a read, as well as the comments. The first comment in that article summarizes it well. " Microsoft can't be this dumb and if they are then their mobile division deserves to crash and burn. "
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman I had read the PCMag article earlier today.

Carrier support has traditionally been better in Canada than the US, with Telus, Rogers and Bell all carrying at least a couple of Windows phones at any given time.

Things are looking a bit more bleak this time around, however. One would have thought that at least one Canadian wireless carrier would have been lined up with an announcement during or shortly after the October 6 event, but nothing so far.

(I'm partly responding to boost the post count to this thread, thereby signalling interest to Rogers; my vain attempt to get them on board, I guess).

Does the following mean that most Canadian carriers are indeed on board for Windows 10 (see link below)??? ... or does it simply mean someone assumed Windows 8 settings would apply for Windows 10?

See: https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1251_5_rogers_wireless__apn_settings_for_microsoft_lumia_950_...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mediaman

It seems like it's just the APN settings if u get a unlocked the device and add it on Rogers. That's all. They do this with most phones that Rogers or most carriers don't have

@Mediaman

I heard about that article (haven't read it...yet) but a lot of customers talking about it on Windows forums. U.S. market very different  and despite how terrible carrier support was in Canada during windows 8, Canadian Carriers offered more devices at first. After 1020 was released Canadian carriers only offered the Lumia 830.

Its not news that there has been no carrier support in the U.S. for the 950XL that has been reported by windows central a while ago. As for U.S. carrier support, AT&T is one of the biggest and offered all the Windows flagship devices. Verizon made things difficult by wanting their own variation of the 920 so got the 925. Then it took Verizon ages to do the updates to release the updates. The president of T-Mobile however called "BS" and said they were open to offering windows 10 devices.

We have to remember though that the landscape for windows mobile has changed drastically. When Windows 8 was released, then CEO Steve Ballmer was interested in taking on Apple and Google with the Lumia 920. Nokia was just an OEM for Microsoft’s Windows 8 platform. So Microsoft had no control over carrier deals (As far as I know, if I’m wrong someone please inform me.) That strategy obviously didn't work and Windows 8 is still below 3% of the market share. Satya Nadella has completely changed strategy. Microsoft has always been operating system and software focused. The long term plan isn’t about mobile market share anymore but windows 10 and the devices that facilitate the Operating system. He knows he can't compete with iPhone/Android popularity and sales, so Microsoft now will compete with services. Office, Outlook, One drive, Cortana, Onenote, Skype, are all available on iOS and Android devices. Windows mobile devices never had full carrier support, so I don’t think it will matter now. Big difference now is that you can buy a device unlocked on www.microsoftstore.ca and have it shipped free and take it to any carrier you want. I don’t know about you but if Rogers doesn’t offer the 950, I’ll buy it unlocked from Microsoft and go to a cheaper carrier. If they aren’t going to support the device I want. I’ll buy it myself and take my business elsewhere.

@brandonjbarnard You mentioned above that " I don’t know about you but if Rogers doesn’t offer the 950, I’ll buy it unlocked from Microsoft and go to a cheaper carrier."

I agree the phone whould need to be purchased  (at very high cost) from Miccorsoft, but with phone in hand, I think Rogers is already the cheaper carrier. I am on a share everything plan (currently just the wifes phone is on it), and if I bring my own 950 device to add to the plan, the rate is actually reasonable. Not sure Bell would be any cheaper. Now if Bell offered a subsidized 950 phone, then yes, that changes everything and indeed that might end up cheaper.

My main concern with any carrier that does not subsidize the 950 is their committment to the cell service - that is, what assurance do we have that a windows-based Microsoft-bought 950 it will in fact work on Rogers or Bell, for the next few years. Cant Rogers or Bell, at any time,  simply de-support Winodws altogehter ( ie bring your own non-windows phone) . I dont want to be stuck with a 950 that only works on wi-fi!
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman That is my concern as well, so there seems to be no point in getting this device.

As I recall, OS updates (as opposed to app updates) on my Lumia 920 were pushed out by Rogers. If they don't support W10M, how will I get my OS updated?

@Mediaman

There are alternatives out there. A lot of it depends on personal usage. That being said, I am happy with the wireless service I receive from Rogers. I am just saying that if I have to go out of my way to spend hard earned money to buy a phone unlocked I'll also take a look at what other wireless carriers provide for plans. Rogers has to make me want to stay a customer.

As far as I know as long as the phone is unlocked and is capable of using the various networks (see below) it should work. All you need to do is get a sim card. Maybe @ShakTiburon can give us more technical information in that regards. I don't know if the carriers can choose what kind of devices are on their network or not.

List of available networks supplied by Microsoft Canada store.

GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)
TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6

@O_M_R

The early updates were indeed pushed out by Rogers. However things are changing with Windows 10 and I remember reading an article where Microsoft said they want more if not total control of their updates. No more waiting around for months for a carrier to issue the updates. Microsoft wants to issue updates likeiOS where updates are done over the air and you don't have to wait for a carrier to issue it. I did the developer preview unlock on my phone and I had the Denim update months before it was released by Rogers.