Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Lumia 950

Hello @O_M_R@Mediaman

For one you can just go into their own brand store & get excellent service with reps that know about the brand & devices Smiley Wink. Another one you can just walk in & get it where the stores from Rogers may not have stock. You can also get the device at the Microsoft store on a 2 yr plan with Rogers as what i know unless they tell customers to go to Rogers. Rogers Reservation system is different then the Pre orders Microsoft takes & many more. Also if you want to get discounts & such from your Flextab or plan you need to call Rogers as their stores can not do it. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good to have options, but for me, none of those reasons would justify a $500 premium. 

I might use the store for some hard-to-find accessories, or to try out new prodcuts, or to purchase a laptopmtablet... but I just dont see getting cell phone there.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix I'm with Mediaman. How is all of that put together worth anything like an extra $500? No contract subsidy, and I'll have to seriously consider Android.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @O_M_R

I agree as Microsoft won't give u discounts on the device price same as Rogers unless they have a promo but again it's your own choice where to go and get the device. I wanted a Windows phone but Android and Apple took me lll
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers Facebook page states they have no plans to carry the Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL. Extremely disappointing. I'll buy a device from Rogers with a high resale value, sign a 2 year contract, and then sell the device on Kijiji. Then I'll buy the Lumia 950 XL from the Microsoft store. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Corman VERY disappointing, but I feared they wouldn't be doing any more Windows devices.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Corman

Yeah i saw that too. It says " We don't have any plans to carry it at THIS TIME". Which means it can change any time if WE all show we want it. Unless Telus or Bell has the exclusive rights.
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately I've heard rumours there has been absolutely no discussions with carriers in Canada since August and it may have to do with Microsoft's restructuring. It's possible they may eventually carry the device(s) but it's not looking good for 2015. I hope they're wrong but judging by the lack of devices displayed on Bell, Telus, and Rogers websites it appears it could be true.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How accruate is the facebook posting? Is that just an opinion of one person? How can Miscosoft Canada hope yo sell phones if there are no Canadian carriers??

Well ...if Rogers in fact never carries the Lumia that is dissapointing...but understandable given the current Windows 10 market share is pretty low. Then again I think its a higher share than Blackberry, which Rogers does carry, so who knows.

If Rogers indeed never carries it, sure, then a unlocked Microsoft store purchase may make sense for us Windows fans,  if one is willing to shell out that kind of money. But then I would worry if Rogers would even allow Windows phone on its network - ie what if they abandon Windows altoghter!   I would not buy a Windows phone anywhwre until I was assured it would work on the Rogers network for the duration of my bring-your-own-phone contract.

If they do truly abandon Windows, that leaves only Android, Apple...or just swithicng over to Bell.

I hope the Facebook posting is simply noise.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Just checked on the Rogers Wireless store to see what they're offering right now. Not a single Windows device (yet they do have one Symbian. SYMBIAN, can you believe it?!).

Looks like that's it for Windows Mobile in Canada. If people who've never tried it have to jump through so many hoops, and it is only offered through the Microsoft Store (of which there are only a handful), then no one in Canada will buy it, and the puny ecosystem it has now will continue to decline.