Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lumia 950

And here I've been waiting for the official update W10M release for the 920. I missed that news and that is some info from MS there. 

Technically W10M can be updated. Here is a read, and something to consider. 

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21321_Times_running_out_to_decide_on.php

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

@kw1 wrote:

And here I've been waiting for the official update W10M release for the 920. I missed that news and that is some info from MS there. 

Technically W10M can be updated. Here is a read, and something to consider. 

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21321_Times_running_out_to_decide_on.php

I didn't know that.    It does mean joining the insider's program and whatever that entails.   I seem to recall that the main disadvantage was that when the official release came through the insider would lose their apps, or something like that.   It's no longer an issue.   However I wonder if the 920 has enough hardware to handle Windows 10.   If there is anyone out there in forum land that has a 920 running Windowns 10, please chip in and share your experience.

StephenWagner7
I Plan to Stick Around

My dad has a 920 running the latest Insider Preview, no issues.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Stephen.  That's good to know.  Did he have the battery issues before?  If so, did Windows 10 help?  

StephenWagner7
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Glen_B,

Sorry for the delay. I finally asked him and he's said he has absolutely not issues with Battery life.

He said it does occasionally get warm, but he said this happened before the update as well.
StephenWagner7
I Plan to Stick Around

I found out this morning that Rogers enabled Wifi Calling for the S5 on May 31st for the latest OS update on their phone. I guess they are planning to release this to more and more Android devices as time goes on.

I'm still sitting here with my Lumia 950XL waiting for Wifi Calling and VoLTE.

I dream of one day being able to make reliable calls and text from my house (which has barely any reception), lol. I can't beleive this hasn't been turned on yet for us Windows Mobile users!

aab1
I've Been Here Awhile

Lumia 950XL price

After having had my last Windows Phone for 7 years, it's beyond time for an upgrade (only calls, text, web browsing and shazam still work due to apps no longer being supported, but physically the phone still works like new).

I'm decided on the Lumia 950XL, first of all is it compatible with the Rogers network?

Secondly, on eBay the price seems to vary from $300 US to $700 US for exactly the same phone in new condition so I'd like an explanation for such a wild price range as well as a reputable place to buy it at a good price.

Also, is there any place I can see a 950XL in person? It's much bigger than my current phone, but as long as it fits in pant pockets (does it?) I have no problem with the size.

Thanks

RogersMoin

Hello, @aab1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. It's remarkable that you are using a Windows phone for past 7 years and it's very interesting that the phone still works.

I believe we have a few members in the Community using the Lumia 950/XL phones.  

@Community - please share your expertise on this topic.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

aab1
I've Been Here Awhile

I have another question, I'm still on Windows 7 on the PC with no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

Will I be able to connect my Windows Phone 10 to my Windows 7 PC? Is there anything I won't be able to do due to having Windows 7 and not 10 on the PC?

I saw Zune has been replaced by the "Windows Phone app", but after downloading and installing it it only talks about Windows Phone 8s in the app, did I not download the right thing or can I not use a Windows Phone 10 with a Windows 7 PC?

Thank you

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@aab1

@aab1 wrote:

Lumia 950XL price

After having had my last Windows Phone for 7 years, it's beyond time for an upgrade (only calls, text, web browsing and shazam still work due to apps no longer being supported, but physically the phone still works like new).

I'm decided on the Lumia 950XL, first of all is it compatible with the Rogers network?

Secondly, on eBay the price seems to vary from $300 US to $700 US for exactly the same phone in new condition so I'd like an explanation for such a wild price range as well as a reputable place to buy it at a good price.

Also, is there any place I can see a 950XL in person? It's much bigger than my current phone, but as long as it fits in pant pockets (does it?) I have no problem with the size.

Thanks

The 950 XL will work with Rogers, as long as the device supports these bands it will work:

Networks
Frequency range Band number Protocol
1900 MHz PCS 2 UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s
700 MHz Lower A/B/C 12/17/13 LTE
1700/2100 MHz AWS 4 LTE
2600 MHz IMT-E 7

LTE

I have no idea why there is such a price range for the phone, but I checked on amazon.ca and it sells for around $500 Canadian.

You could check kijiji, but be aware of scams, I personally have purchased phones off kijiji without issue. As for being compatible with Windows 7, that I am unsure of, but I would suggest upgrading to Windows 10 for all the security updates that Operating System brings.