Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenWagner7
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lumia 950

I confirmed with support that Rogers only has VoLTE and Wifi Calling turned on for select devices...

One of my users has it on their iPhone... I actually called a couple times trying to convince different reps to turn it on for my device, but they told me they have controls in place that only allow it to function on iPhones and a couple Android devices...

I'm dying for these features, specifically Wifi-Calling since I have barely any reception where I am, lol.

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @StephenWagner7, thank you for your patience. 

I would just like to shed a little more light on what is required to make the VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling work on most devices. There are other factors besides the carrier that come to play, please check the following:

• SIM card is LTE-ready.
• Plan is LTE / Wi-Fi Calling compatible (privisioned).

• Latest device software version and carrier settings.
• VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling features are enabled on the plan.

• Device have the firmware that supports LTE on most major carriers.
• VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling settings in the device are enabled / turned on.

Some of Resident Experts have mentioned at least a few above or will let us know if I've missed any.
Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

StephenWagner7
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersArthur wrote:

Hi @StephenWagner7, thank you for your patience. 

I would just like to shed a little more light on what is required to make the VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling work on most devices. There are other factors besides the carrier that come to play, please check the following:

• SIM card is LTE-ready.
• Plan is LTE / Wi-Fi Calling compatible (provisioned).

• Latest device software version and carrier settings.
• VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling features are enabled on the plan.

• Device have the firmware that supports LTE on most major carriers.
• VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling settings in the device are enabled / turned on.

Some of Resident Experts have mentioned at least a few above or will let us know if I've missed any.
Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

Yes, my device and SIM support Wifi-Calling and VoLTE.

Back on my Lumia 1020 a year or so ago, I actually got VoLTE for about 2 weeks until Rogers disabled it. I think this is when they first kicked it off on the network (whatever software/hardware upgrades on the towers and core infrastructure), and then they disabled it.

My corporate plan supports VoLTE and Wifi-Calling.

As mentioned, even though my device fully supports it, SIM is ready, and technically it should be working, as mentioned, 3 corporate support reps told me Rogers locks this down via IMEIs to ONLY iPhones and a couple android devices. They told me it's Rogers disabling VoLTE and WiFi Calling on my device. And they told me I'd have to wait until it's launched globally across the network, or they add it for my specific device.

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

I helped family move over to the 950 today from a lumia 900 (WP7 phone). Using a new MS Canada store unlocked 950 and it was fairly painless. It was  my first unlocked phone set up experience too. Got a rogers suretap nano sim, activated it on the account at the same time. Inserted the activated sim card before I turned the phone on for the first time, went through first startup input screens, and that was it. The phone/sim took care of all the relevant rogers settings. Definitely a recommended option imo for the Rogers network. 

The MS account ports the contacts and calendar, but the older Win 7 900 can't port the MMS texts so I can't transfer old text messages. Manually copied and pasted the music and photos. Reinput Wifi connections.

MMS text pictures did not work at first, then I used Rogers MMS APN Windows 10 settings I found with google searches. No luck, even with reboots. On a whim after more reading I deleted the added MMS settings I put in again, restarted the phone again, and MMS pictures worked. 

Love the dual sim option on the phone. 

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

Thought I'd update the experience now for those interested.

The unlocked dual sim Lumia 950 has been working flawlessly with Rogers. 

I also personally switched over to an unlocked dual sim Lumia 950 XL a few days later from the Nokia Lumia 920. Both were clean installs, which is recommended, and were relatively painless Coming from the 920 I was happy to see my historical texts transfer over, as well as the expected seamless transfer of contact and calendar. 

As I noted earlier, these are unlocked phones with no Rogers firmware. I love the ability to get unimpeded OS updates now.  And it was great to see the Rogers 'My Account' app is available for the phone.  I'm happy to report that this Rogers app to track usage works flawlessly with both unlocked phones. It took a bit of time to work, maybe a day; may be due to Roger's account database updates that took some time. 

Lots of appreciated improvements to Windows 10 mobile over Windows Phone 8. I really enjoy the enhanced tiles and screen setup options. Love the improved camera. Making one of the best even better. The living images are really cool. Some high end video recording options too. The improved screen resolution and colour profile is noticible and usable. Improved standard news and weather apps are great. Updated Calendar interface. Better handling of privacy settings, etc, etc, etc.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

@kw1 wrote:

Thought I'd update the experience now for those interested.

The unlocked dual sim Lumia 950 has been working flawlessly with Rogers. 

I also personally switched over to an unlocked dual sim Lumia 950 XL a few days later from the Nokia Lumia 920. Both were clean installs, which is recommended, and were relatively painless Coming from the 920 I was happy to see my historical texts transfer over, as well as the expected seamless transfer of contact and calendar. 

As I noted earlier, these are unlocked phones with no Rogers firmware. I love the ability to get unimpeded OS updates now.  And it was great to see the Rogers 'My Account' app is available for the phone.  I'm happy to report that this Rogers app to track usage works flawlessly with both unlocked phones. It took a bit of time to work, maybe a day; may be due to Roger's account database updates that took some time. 

Lots of appreciated improvements to Windows 10 mobile over Windows Phone 8. I really enjoy the enhanced tiles and screen setup options. Love the improved camera. Making one of the best even better. The living images are really cool. Some high end video recording options too. The improved screen resolution and colour profile is noticible and usable. Improved standard news and weather apps are great. Updated Calendar interface. Better handling of privacy settings, etc, etc, etc.

How have you found the 950 for battery useage and heat.  My 920 gets very hot and that takes a lot of power so it runs down fast.  It could run empty in a couple of hours without difficulty.   I'd like to stay with MS but even Microsoft seems to be rejecting it.   What a way to run a company.

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

I find battery life of the 950 fairly equivalent to my 920. Though I have no issues with heat and battery power on my 920. The 950 lasts well and will go a day quite easily in my typical use. Even more so with the lighter use of my family, who charge it every two or so days. 

More specifically, the 950 gets light use and loses about 12.5 percent in a day, so it gets charged every second day or so.  My 950 XL loses about 15% in a day with light use, and it can double to triple the battery loss with moderate use. 

No significant heat issues with either. I've felt a bit of heat with big updates or heavy camera/video use, but not much to this point.  

I wouldn't worry about MS support. Search and read the recent news for windows mobile 10. MS strategies have been hinted for a while, and confirmed as well. Lumia appears to be going away as a brand name for phones with MS, and MS is expected to hitch some new phones to the Surface name/success and premium brand image/price. MS has also notably and repeatedly published their efforts and commitment to Windows Mobile 10 as part of the whole Windows 10 ecosystem, which is to build a consistent base for operating systems across all platforms from mobile to tablet to computer.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the quick replay Kw1.   It's anybody's guess what Microsoft will do next but sales are falling at a rapid rate now.  They want other hardware manufacturers to supply the product but I don't see that happening the way the sales are going.   I like my phone and would prefer to stay with the system.   My 920 is a fine phone but for the overheading and battery problems.   It seems to be something that happened to some phones and not others.  the 950 is the natural move up phone so I'm keeping an eye on it.  I still can't believe the asking price given how small the market is though.

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

Hope it helps.

I really enjoyed the 920. Best phone I've owned with my old school N95 being second best. Both still work great. I too wanted to stay with the system. I really really like the interface, my computers are on windows 10 and when I saw the recent MS news reaffirming their commitment to Windows 10 mobile as part of the ecosystem I was comfortable with continuing. When the 950 XL BOGO sale came on it was too ridiculously good to pass up. 

I didn't mind the asking price at all for what one gets. Price will only get better too. It blows Iphone out of the water. An Iphone 6S with 64 gb is over $1000, has inferior screen resolution, lower spec camera, no SD memory expansion slot, only single sim, no wireless charging, etc. The 950 compares well to the Galaxy S7 and that is pricey. I didn't really know how well the 950 and 950 XL specs out until after I bought it and read it up more. The specs fly under the radar, and much of that imo is because of the press bias out there that didn't bother noting it.

One can wait for the surface phone. I'd expect it to be great, but I'd also expect a premium phone at an even more premium price, a'la apple levels. 

I've read about the odd phone heat/battery use issue from all makers and models. It happens out there almost universally, though many complaints come from users who are employing developer code. Too bad you had some heat/battery issues. I remember a lot of early complaints on forums with the 920. Then it went away. Me and a friend with the phone had no issues. And our phones were the very first Rogers release phones. My 920 is the ultra rare initial release from Rogers that came with all the Rogers software but was left unlocked because of an oversight by Rogers. 

You could wait for the Windows 10 mobile OS update for the 920. It was supposed to be coming. Or you could unlock the phone and move straight to the MS W10 mobile update option. It will save you money, but phone technology has improved notably in the last years, so there is merit to new hardware as well. Lots of considerations.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

There won't be a Windows 10 upgrade for my 920 and I'm good with that.  They originally were going to upgrade it but decided later that these older models are not up to the new system.   Interestingly there are much cheaper phones that they did upgrade.  

I'll look again at the new 950 and perhaps with the $200 trade in credit I can justify it.