Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Lumia 950

I still can't believe that all the Canadian carriers are still carrying Blackberrys but not these. Guess now I'm free to use another carrier though 

I Plan to Stick Around

Using my new Lumia 950 XL now; I know the phone supports WiFi calling and VOLTE but I don't think those features are enabled on Rogers for this device...

I'm Here A Lot

did you see options under setting-> cellular&Sim as wifi calling or VoLTE?

and also features like those should be a standard thing just like GSmM or Part of the LTE, suppose to work with any settings. but some how carriers make them complicate to force you use an app , or patent protocol way to make you have to buy branded device from them, which is locked and doing so to make it harder to switch.

I Plan to Stick Around

MS just releases an new entry-level windows 10 phone Lumia 550. Maybe it's a good alternative to 950.

I Plan to Stick Around

Certainly cannot beat the price:-) Might take a trip over to the MS Store to see one live.

I'm Here A Lot

550 sound very good rpice. but I will still suggest 640xl instead for those who are looking for entery level

for mid rang hopefully rogers might carry is 850 that might fit most people's need better.

and ffor myself I got 950 already, which is just blow mind expereince, I love it period. majorly due to Continuum feature. I have been challenge myself not using computer or tablet at all last week , but only 950 and continuum alone, for a whole week last week. of couse to be fair, I don't have to work last week. but real challenge starts now. see if I can survive witout tablet/computer but only 950and continuum alone this week.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just wanted to chime in!

I've had my Lumia 950 XL for a while now (I was one of the first to pre-order), and I absolutely love it!

Windows 10 Mobile has been fantastic, love the enhancements. I was already familiar with Windows 10 as I was running Insider on my old Lumia 1020.

Screen is amazing, performance amazing, and it takes beautiful pictures/videos. Love the native Office apps, and I'm loving Outlook on Windows 10.

Already picked up a wireless display adapter for streaming wirelessly, and also got a Display Dock as part of their pre-order offers. I tend to go on random trips quite often, being able to plug in the wireless display adapter to stream music/videos in hotels is AWESOME!

Call quality is amazing, and battery life is excellent (it was horrible the first few days, but I realized it was because I was using the device non-stop because I was so excited lol, using it normal day-to-day it's better than my Lumia 1020).

Cell reception is amazing (comparing it in deadzones to my old Lumia 1020, iPhones, etc...).

Only unfortunate thing is that while the device offers VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling, it's disabled on the Rogers network.

I'm Here A Lot

With a right setting and adaptor/device. You could actually do three thing at the same time with just one phone.
So wired connected to monitor 1 for continuum, casting video/music from YouTube or local storage to TV/home theatre , making phone call or any other task on your phone. So two external display one wired and one wireless plus one on the phone. Hopefully continuum will support snap screen soon.
For the WiFi calling, I think Rogers basically only worked on Fruit now , android OS support that way before iSO did, and lots of android supposedly worked but still not on Rogers.

I've Been Around

I am a long time Windows phone user.

I presently have a 1020 which I bought to years ago from Rogers.

Now looking forward to upgrade to the 950 XL.

Alas! There are no more Windows phones on Rogers for ordering.

Yet the phone can be ordered, unlocked, from the canadian Microsoft store.

The question is, how do I find out about the compatibility of the 950 XL with Rogers's network?

And suppose, after my long research, I conclude that the phone is indeed compatible, and I order one, what do I do when I get the phone at my house, do I simply take the SIM card from my 1020 and slide it in the 950 XL?

Is that all that will be required?

From preliminary reseach (I'm no cellular jock), it seems the 950 XL is a "superset" of the 1020 cellular capabilities.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes that's all you do. I just took the Sim from my 830 and put it in the 950XL. Make sure you do that before you start it up. I've read that there have been some issues with LTE in a few cases if you put the sim in after the initial boot-up.

Second thing you do is firmware and app updates. I would suggest not using the backup. It's cleaner to just install the apps from scratch.

Third thing is apply for the free continuum dock. I ordered mine and got it next day. I'm hearing that up to 2 weeks is more typical.

Fourth, enjoy your phone,

Fifth find a cometitive deal now that you have an unlocked. I'm still mad that Rogers isn't carrying it.