Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lumia 950

@brandonjbarnard  If I register for the Windows Insider Program ( to experiment with Win 10 upgrades on my older Win 8.1 phone), will it start pushing unwanted updates to my Windows 10 computers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is a problem with the available optional updates that are presented to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users.  The update to Windows 10 is enabled, instead of it being disabled.  Microsoft has said, "Oops, sorry".  So, if and when you run Windows updates,  you have to go in and ensure that the Windows 10 update is disabled, and then run the updates as you would normally.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on...

@Mediaman

No, I don't believe it will. I think it will only do that on your PC if you registered for the insider program.

If you register for the fast ring of the windows 10 build it will push updates automatically to your phone. I'm not sure about the slow ring.

@Datalink

@Mediaman is referring to the windows 10 mobile on the phone, not on windows 10 for PC. He is concerned that if he does the update on his phone that it will affect his PC.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, you're correct.  I misread the last part of his post.  I was thinking about the unwanted updates to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 pc's.

Thanks guys. I see now you need to register with an outlook account, so I think I will leave good enough alone and not risk any unwanted pc updates. Besides, Microsoft doesnt exactly have a good reptutation for even the final public versions of its operating systems , let alone the beta/test/preview/insider versions !! 

@Mediaman

Yes to do the windows insider you need to register to be able to get the windows 10 mobile previews/updates.

I have been holding off updating my PC. I will update it to windows 10 once Threshold is released next month and when Cortana is enabled for the Canadian Market.

@Datalink - No worries! 😄 Good to know about the updates though!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Installing win10 on your phone will have no effect on your PC.

The mobile insider program is separate from the PC insider program.  Signing up for one will not get you into the other.

@Lurker ,

There may indeed be two seperate insider programs but I just find it odd that that they have:
- a common sign-in page : https://insider.windows.com/Home/Index
- use a common outlook.com account
- are completely integrated on the registration page check box selections ie
---Developing Windows apps for PCs, tablets, and phones
---Developing games for PCs, tablets, and phones
---Developing apps for Microsoft HoloLens
---Developing devices with IoT Core
---Using Windows for your company

I dont see any way to sign up for one vs the other.. and you need to sign in when running the app on a phone.

Non-issue for me as I wont register for either one - just dont trust it!
I Plan to Stick Around

You have to set up applicable devices separately to gain access to the preview versions. As this is a Microsoft service you need a Microsoft acccount.

Usually, with a preview program you need to go in with eyes wide open. Generally, it's a beta testing program, and shouldn't be used on production machines and devices that you depend on.

I was on the earlier developer's preview for Windows Phone, and those were quite stable, and I really enjoyed them. The current Windows 10 Mobile preview program is something I held off on. However, I will be updating my Lumia 1020 as soon as the final version is released for the preview program-- I won't wait for the official firmware update from Rogers. There is a point where it would be foolish to wait for perfectly fine features.

I was on the develper program for Windows 10 Desktop, and while there were times I thought about dropping out, I stuck it out as I wasn't really affected by the bugs. Currently I'm content now to wait for the official versions and I'm off the program. There is also an XBox One preview program (harder to get into as one has to be invited by a current member), but I don't want to work through bugs while I use the XBox.

Again, for the preview programs you have to specifically set up each device to enroll it.