Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lumia 950

@Mediaman

Im glad you are enjoying your Android experience!

Ive been using Android off and on all week with my fiancee's Samsung. Had flashbacks of the annoying experience 4 years ago. I've decided to wait on official announcement from Bell and Telus about wether or not they will offer windows 10 devices. A fools hope I'm sure.

last night I installed  Windows 10 preview on my phone after chatting with @geokots must say that i am enjoying it. Still a bit buggy but functions well enough to be a daily driver.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am wondering why so many people are against buying the phone outright from MIcrosoft. Are you on the super expensive new Rogers plans so getting a new phone is reasonable?

I'm running my old 920 plan which is under $55 tax in. The only way to get a new phone subsidized from Rogers or any other carrier for the last year is a mandatory upgrade to the new wireless plans, which are super expensive. I'd be about $50 a month more than I'm paying now for a similar plan! 

I can keep my current plan and change to a new phone if I buy the phone outright. Seems like a no-brainer to me. At $50 a month extra for a new plan with subsidized phone that would add up to $600 extra money alone in the first year of that new contract.  Plus I get an unlocked phone with superior usability, updates, and resale vale. 

Thoughts...

I Plan to Stick Around

@kw1 I think the issue is, that all carriers have "trained" us on the notion of subsudized phones.  So it "seems" cheaper than to purchase the phone outright.  Also given the current economic times, an outlay of close to C$800.00 is a bit of a stretch.  In my case I would have to purchase two of the phone as my SO also has a 920 so to move both our phones would be a significant chunk of change.

I am hoping that maybe Microsoft might do something like Apple and put an installemnt plan in place that would at least make things a bit easier.

Just my 0.05c worth

@ph8 - Agree that these phones are pricey. I guess flagships will always have a high price tag. Juat read about a possibl Microsoft "device trade-in" program. But based on experience in the past, these trade-ins are typically pretty low in dollar value. I would sooner keep my old phone as spares, remotes, etc.

@kw1 - Correct. Once you throw in a forced rate change plan, you need to factor that into the equation. Its all about the math. Even on the new plans and rates, which start at a reasonable $35/mo for a second device, one has the choice, normally, of buying outright or buying over time via a monthly increase (tab) - both are viable options depending on cash flow - much like buying a car. In the case of the 950, buying outight is the only option for that phone, so it makes the choice easier!  I personally dont have an issue  buying a new phone outright (or even unlocking an old one). I'm not against buying outright. I'm only against spending close to $1000 to "upgrade" my existing personal-use phone. I already have a ton of technology in my pocket on my almost 3 year old phone : email, messaging, browsing, voice activation. GPS, camera, music, video streaming, hot-spot etc., etc. Oh ya, its also a phone! Sure I would pay a little more for a bigger screen and some other nice-to-have goodies. But not a $1000 more. It does make sense for others as it meets their needs, and thats fine too, especailly if its a business related expense! Bottom line, nothing wrong with buying outright vs subsidized - same difference in the end. Perhaps the new 2016 Surface phones will have a different price point - if it is higher still I will laugh it off ; if its lower, I may take a second look at that time.

@kw1

I don't think a lot of us are against buying the phone outright from Microsoft. I have no problem with that at all. My problem is that I assumed (Foolishly) that I'd be able to get a 950 subsidized through Rogers, but caught unprepared financially at the announcement that they are not carrying the device. I think a lot of people are in that situation and angry. A lot of us have been waiting patiently for an upgrade, and there is none coming.

What plan are you on if you don't mind me asking?

I Plan to Stick Around

@brandonjbarnard wrote:

@kw1

I don't think a lot of us are against buying the phone outright from Microsoft. I have no problem with that at all. My problem is that I assumed (Foolishly) that I'd be able to get a 950 subsidized through Rogers, but caught unprepared financially at the announcement that they are not carrying the device. I think a lot of people are in that situation and angry. A lot of us have been waiting patiently for an upgrade, and there is none coming.

What plan are you on if you don't mind me asking?

@brandonjbarnard

Getting a subsidized new phone from Rogers as a historical customer and using your existing plan was the good-ol-days. Not any more, long gone over a year ago. I'm very dissappointed with these changes as well, but they are old news, and separate from the 950 discussion (as it applies to any new phone you want to upgrade/subsidize with Rogers, such as Iphone, Samsung, etc). 

My point was that purchasing ANY new subsidized phone through Rogers now ALSO requires you to update to the latest wireless plan options and costs, which are much higher priced than most people's existing plans. There may be a benefit to some people with the new plans, but many others have mentioned that they prefer their existing plan for their use and costs. Essentially with new Rogers policies you can only subsidize a new phone if you also change to their new plans. 

I'd have to look up my plan, but it is old (as I haven't upgraded phones/plans often), yet robust. I have 5 gig data included for example. 

What are your thoughts? Are you coming from already subscribing to a current plan, unlike me? In that case, not having the 950 with Rogers and complaining totally makes sense.

Highlighted

@kw1

I know that when you get a subsidy your plan gets upgraded. Done this a few times with Rogers lol. I wish I still had my original plan when I got my first iPhone... $30 for 6GB of data. Oh well. Things are definitely changing in the mobile landscape. I was just foolish and hopeful that I would be able to get the 950 through subsidy. The fact that ROGERS doesn't have these devices disapoints me greatly but doesn't surprise me as they have done nothing to support the devices from the beginning.

Anyways I plan on keeping my almost 3 year old Lumia 920 until it dies. I'll do my best to save the money for a new device and buy it from Expansys someday when it comes on sale, or by the rumoured SURFACE device that comes out next spring.

There may be a more affordable Lumia on the horizon... Lumia  650 : http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-Lumia-650-Saana-allegedly-pictured-could-become-Microsofts-...

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I went and did it! After reading and contributing to this long thread, I finally realized that a subsidized Lumia flagship phone through Rogers was never going to happen. So, I took my Rogers Lumia 920 and went to Koodo. They happily unlocked my phone for free and, three days later, I now have an unlocked phone for the first time. It feels good to be untethered and free from Rogers! I'm currently on a 750/750/45 plan: 750 minutes of daytime calling, 750 mb's of data and $45 a month. It's not as good a deal as in the US, but it's more than enough for me and at a much better price.

In the next few months, I'm going to save up my money to buy a newer unlocked Lumia. I'd love a 950XL but I just can't afford a grand up front. If I want to stay unlocked I'm going to have to settle for a cheaper phone. In my case I'll keep an eye out for a good deal from Expansys.ca or the Canadian Microsoft store and buy a 640 XL (one of the many great Windows phones Rogers refused to carry). Maybe I'll look into a 650XL if it comes out.

In any case, thank you Rogers! Your maltreatment of Windows Phone fans has opened my eyes to a new way of looking at smartphones.

@grapemancaCongratulations!

Wow they unlocked your phone for free? No fee? hmmmm I'm going to go looking online for deals.

Sounds like a good game plan! Have you considered some of the older Lumia devices such as the 930 or 1520? I've been looking and have found some decent devices for sale on eBay for around $300-$400 and you get a flagship phone albeit a little older but the specs are still solid.

Expansys.ca is a great site! Shouldve bought a 1520 on there when they had the 32GB devices for sale instead of the AT&T variant which is 16GB with no wireless charging support.

If you want to make your phone feel like new I recommend the latest build of Windows 10. I put it on my 920 yesterday. I downloaded the Windows Insider App to my phone, and selected the "FAST RING" option. Wow I am impressed! Amazed how smooth it runs on a 3 year old phone! Still has some minor bugs, but I'm willing to live with this version as my daily driver.

All the best!

B