Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lumia 950

@Mediaman

Its nice having a free device to play around on to see if you like how the operating system works and the general feel of the OS.

I have been switching carriers and going with a HTC ONE M8. Snapdragon 810 3GB of RAM, 32GB storage with expandable memory with micro Sim, 5 inch display, 2840 mAh battery, and the phone is encased in METAL. lol. It will also get the Marshmallow update when its released.

Its very tempting, but its Android and that OS frustrated me for the 3 months I used it previously. So still not sure what to do.

@ph8

I have not used the 830, but I almost got one. However when I did some research on the phone and looked at the specs its almost exactly like my 920. I watched a video comparing the devices side by side and they operated almost the exact same so I decided to stick with my 920 until the new Windows 10 devices were released...

I've been flip flopping between Android and Windows. If you are considering buying something unlocked have you considered a Lumia 930, 1520 or even the Lumia 640XL?

B

@IJC

I'm in the exact same situation. I used to be an Android user but got too annoyed with the OS so switched back to iOS. Now considering going back to it because I can't afford a unlocked phone at this point. Love live tiles because the Android widgets never worked properly for me. Was playing on the Fiancee's S4 last night and was looking at a facebook widget in the google play store, and it was a lot of complaints of the widget never updating properly.... So not much has changed it seems.

If I could afford the 950 unlocked I'd buy it as soon as it was released and take it to another carrier too.

I'm Here A Lot

I went from 920 to 830. Mainly because I thought it was a side-grade but something newer and slightly bigger screen (which I wanted). Actually to me it's a slight downgrade, mainly due to the display. The display on the 920 is in my opinion much better. The 830 colour is washed out and there's a lot of backlight that makes the black look like dark grey. Also the viewing angles are not great. The AMOLED screen on the 920 is so much better.

@geokots

That was another worry of mine when I considered making a side-grade to the 830. In the performance tests I watched, the 920 matched the 830 and in some cases a lot better. I didnt want to waste my upgrade on a phone that performed the same if not a bit worse than my current phone.

Do you still use the 830 as your main phone? Are you still going to stay with Windows since ROGERS isn't offering the 950?

I'm Here A Lot

Yes it's my primary phone. I'm running Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview and went back to the 920 temporarily when there were some early issues.

I will stick with Windows. I don't like how locked down Apple is within their ecosystem. I have no issue with Android but I prefer the Windows experience.

I'll get the 950XL. Not sure if I'll stay with Rogers though.

@geokots

How are you enjoying the Win 10 Tech-preview? I've messed around with it a few months ago, but I found it unusable so used the software recovery to revert back to 8.1. Considered trying it again with the latest build, but I don't want to do it to my daily driver.

Not a fan of either myself, but may consider a change to Android.

great choice with the 950XL!

I'm Here A Lot

I like it. The first version and one update after was unuseable. It's been pretty stable since then and current version is almost gold. Performance, UI and features are all pretty solid.

Since there have been so many small updates I see changes gradually but I temporarily went back to 8.1 and was suprised how big the difference actually is.

@geokots

Thanks for letting me know. I may complicate my life a little this weekend and install the current version of the build. I think a big part of my problem is that I'm itching for something new. Maybe Windows 10 preview will convince me to not jump ship.

Unlocked the spare Android today, moved over the SIM card, and now I am back in business. I do like the change (and education).  For $30, it was well worth it.

My old fauitful Win 8.1 in still in the mix, permanently on wi-fi, for light house duty. Will  dedicate the home page for  for remote control for the AVR, Roku, guitar room apps, etc.  Wont do a factory restore as its still good for as emergency backup. so I want all my accounts in tact in case I need to move the SIM card back.

Down the road when I do get a new prirmary phone (Win10 950 fire sale or Android) , I'll dedicate my current one to house duty as well .  Much like computers, I am now redeploying the old phones so they do something useful  -  until they break.