Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lumia 950

That's not quite right for Paul Thurrott (https://www.thurrott.com/). He has always preferred Windows Phone, but in the ramp up to Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft was releasing software of major titles to both Android and iOS, sometimes delaying the release for Windows Phone.

With Windows 10 Mobile out now, that would likely be less of an issue. Paul Thurrott does chide his readers in not realizing that Microsoft telegraphed its intent several months ago-- that it's not going after Apple and Android in the current mobile space, but that it will release key products in key markets in the interim (budget, flagshap, business, with some countries and carriers emphasized). It's the long game that Microsoft's interested in, which was strongly implied at its recent devices launch (mostly Surface products). The next space will likely be identified with something like a Surface Phone-- an Intel device that functions increasingly more like a PC than ever before, with interchangeable peripherals that will work with the other Microsoft devices.

I generally don't like to switch standards as it could mean switching connectors, peripherals, software versions, etc. Microsoft tends to be more conservative to cater to business PC replacement cycles, but that also means there's focus on getting work done rather than fiddling with the device or spending time upgrading all the time. Unlike Apple products, there's usually tons of good budget devices that work with Microsoft software. I tend to look at Android products as one-off appliances-- an ecosystem I don't really want to invest in for the long term.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thurrott still uses a Windows Phone (as do I). But both in print and on Windows Weekly, has has said expressly (and repeatedly) that, currently at least, the best Microsoft mobile "experience" is on iOS.

Although I got the sense that he took no pleasure in saying it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Mediaman

I too am curious how your experience on Android has been. I'm thinking of jumping ship as well. Can get a free Android phone with the competition. Looking for some insight before I possibly take the plunge.

Thanks!

B

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone here using the 830? Just asking as that may be the direction I will go (if Rogers still has some around).  Was also perusing the Rogers site and an IOS device (top end) is C$600+ with subsidy, so wondering if the extra C$100 at the MS store is worth it?

@Glen_B , @brandonjbarnard . Re my jump ship experience, its been very positive.

During my ongoing transition, I have two phones side by each, one on Windows 8.1;the other on Android, same size, so I can quickly go back and forth to compare look and feel functionality etc...and can decide to stick with one or the other. I am more of a keep-it-simple pratical user (vs a 24/7 power user), so your mileage may vary, but if I am honest, I'm really enjoying the change. Not really giving up anything as far as I can tell! I'm going to sail the Android flag for a while. total cost - about $30 in unlocking a spare Samsung just lying around. But I would pay more if needed ( and far less than $1000).

My initial observations are:

1) FUNCTIONALITY/APPS - Nothwithstanding the app gap, I really never had an issue with the "limited' amount of Win 10 apps. On Android of course, its not an issue - tons to choose from ,including a full suite of Microsoft apps. Having more choices and finding absolutely everything on Android, is kinda nice though. Both platforms have a Store to download or buy from as needed.  Just bought my first $2 app off Google Play. Made the purchase on the desktop via Google Play web site, Paid via PayPal and it shows up on the phone. Can of course purchase directly from the phone as well.

2) LOOK AND FEEL - Obviously, totally different ; Windows has tiles and nested tiles, all on one page ( with one swipe to "all apps"; Android has icons and nested icons (folders) on one, or more pages ( with one tap  to "all apps").  Personal preference, and  I can live with either, but after  some time at this, I am now finding Android faster and easier.  I prefer a pretty clean decluttered home screen, but still want intuitive quick access to daily apps so I dont have to go nuts finding things. Comparing each , for me, I found the Android to be less cluttered, more visually appealing. more informative on first glance, easier to locate and navigate to apps , and much less distracting (as there are far fewer icons/tiles to mentally process). I kept the interface to one screen, with predominate date/ time /weather, and handful of icon folders near the bottom ( eg OUTLOOK, NEWS, APPS). Each expands to reveal choices. See visual comparison at top of this page: http://phone.mediamanhost.com/

3) SWIPE LEFT/RIGHT - On Windows, a swipe gets to to all apps. On the Android, you can set up whatever page (or pages) you like.  I set up one page only, the FlipBoard My Magazine. Much more relavant for daily use.

4) LIVE TILES -  Thought I would have to give that up, but the equivalent on the android side is widgets. So just a stare at the screen still gives me the updates I am looking for.

5) CUSTOMIZATION -  I would say some of the Android apps seem to offer more customization than the Win 10 counterparts.

6) CLOSING OPEN APPS - On Win 10, I can quicklly see all the open apps, but need to close them one at a time. On the Android, I have the same, but can close them all at once -  a big time saver.

7) INTEGRATION WITH MY WIN 10 DESKTOP- Even with a Win 10 phone, any integration was achieved via use of cloud storage or use of web apps. Its no different with the android. And both the Win 10 phone and the Android are unique from Windows 10 desktop,  so either is accpetable from that point of view. That is, my Windows 10 desktop is NOT a bunch of tiles. Finally, I have zero need for Continuum. So both phones intergrate nicely with my desktop.

Bottom line, for my needs.  no issues jumping ship, or not jumping, but I do find the Android more viusally appealing, decluttered, easier to navigate , with a healthy library of apps and large inventory of available phones at all price points. I love Windows 10 on my desktops and would never switch, but I have no issues with an Android phone in my pocket.

@Mediaman

Wow! thank you so much for that in depth review.

Out of curiosity which Samsung are you using and is it the latest Lolipop operating system?

I've been flipping back and forth between sticking with my 920 for now or getting a free Android. Its tempting, but I'm afraid that I"ll get an Android phone, hate it and be stuck with it for two years or have to buy myself out of the bad decision.

Thanks again for your review! Its appreciated!

B

@brandonjbarnand , I am eyeing getting something newer/larger,  but the transition above was on an older entry level Samsung Core LTE...and even at that I really liked it.

What free Android are you considering?  If the display size is significantly larger, and other specs similar or better, I would be tempted as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

@brandonjbarnard wrote:

@Mediaman

I too am curious how your experience on Android has been. I'm thinking of jumping ship as well. Can get a free Android phone with the competition. Looking for some insight before I possibly take the plunge.

Thanks!

B

My 920 is getting tired and I was struggling waiting for a new flagship Windows phone and had a free upgrade due so I tried an Android phone. The hardware (LG G4) was mostly fabulous, but I just struggled so much with Android. Connecting to work email was a disaster, log into phone, log into corporate security client on phone, open mail app, just to see if there was outstanding mail. Everytime. No glance screen. No notification integration (too insecure according to coprorate security). The same was true for the Calendar. Drove me nuts, so I sent it back. I use Glance, Customized Lock Screen and Live tiles so much that switching to any other ecosystem is just too painful.

So now, I've still got a free update waiting, but if I can't use it for a 950, then I will be abandoning Rogers on principle, even if no-one else offers it. I'll buy an unlocked phone my Microsoft and find the best BYOD plan I can.

Yup, all depends on needs   When I was in my heavy corporate years at work, I only used Blackberry, which was ideal.  But now for personal use only, I have more options and fewer demands. 

As for the glance functionality,  I use Floatify, the android equivalent.  It's highly customizable and so far is working quite well. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I just hope I don't have to switch as it would be so much more convenient to stay with Windows.   I did have an opportunity to try out and older Android phone and it was a disaster for me, and I use an Android tab regularly.   Actually I use either an Android tab or Windows tablet every morning to read the paper.  The android is somewhat older but basically whichever one loads the newspaper first is the one I read it from.    I really hope I can stay with Windows but free vs nearly $1K is quite a shocker.